from what i've heard, the maximiser is only really good on solid-state/modelling amps. i was considering getting one for a while, but was put off by the less-than-favourable experiences that people were having with tube amps.
your lows and highs move at different speeds. The pedal corrects this.

The changes are minimal, but if it's worth it to you, get one.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

The changes are minimal, but if it's worth it to you, get one.

This. but the changes are very noticeable if you use it correctly. this is not a pedal to just dime all the controls and go. you need to work with it to get a decent. i have used one on a hybrid Randall and on my BV120 and it performed wonderfully on both. it truly is a love/hate thing though u either love or hate what it does to the sound. i for one love it.
also the generic explanation for its sound is like removing a thick blanket that was covering your speaker cabinet.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Here's my chain eh-lpb1, jekyll and hyde overdrive, voodoo lab micro microvibe, bbe two timer, then bbe sonic stomp to ampeg v-50 (it has no effects loop) and it does lows make my more have more balls not as much as a lpb-1. If you turn up the lo filter too high you get that guitar hero star power effect (I'm serious here that's the best way to describe it) and it gets old fast. Its an good effect id try before id by. Also it does sound pretty rocking on a clean setting and since I got it I have not turned it off since.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

That's what BBE says it does, and I'm sure it's circuit does do some frequency phase stuff like that to some extent.

The only thing we actually hear with it on a single instrument (and probably a whole mix) is the bass and presence boosters. So basically it's a super easy to use smiley-face eq.

When you're playing a solo instrument and cut the "boxy" mids while boosting high and lows, you get the "blanket off my amp" sound for which people like the maximizer. Of course taking that over to the band leaves you without some of the frequencies you probably want to cut through.

I like a lot of BBE products, but the maximizer is pretty much a scam to my ears--you might as well buy an eq pedal and have more tonal options or just play more with your amp's eq section and save the cash.

All IMO of course.
Quote by CodeMonk
On my AD30VT it made a difference.
on my AC30, it didn't do squat.

That seems to sum up most of the experience I and others have had with it. It can help a crappy/decent amp out, but on a very good amp it does nothing.
I find it VEEEERRRRRYYYY subtle on my Mesa, but the change is there. Most notibly on the cleans. For the cleans it made them sound more "studio-like" imo. Whether that's for you or not, only you can decide that. It also seemed to make my high gain OD tone less raw and aggressive, which for me, wasn't what I wanted. Also added a tiny bit of noise...

All in all, not a terrible pedal. Just not needed as much as other effects...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
thanks a ton for the input. I never used one and can probably last without one. I rarely do cleans so thats not relaly for me. If its not gonna make a noticable difference, then I dont need one. Not like I am a metal muscian. I play breakdowns and hardcore riffs lol
I picked one up off CL for $25. It's not on my pedalboard, but I may break it out and give it another go. My impression....

It made my amp sound better. More open. At first I was like.. "wow, this sounds nice".

However if you were in line with the speakers it sounded harsh. And when I listened to my miced recording I was like... "wow, this sounds like crap".

I can't say that I actually was using it the way it supposed to be used because I had the controls to the extreme pretty much. But if you can't hear the effect, what's the point?
Quote by fly135
I picked one up off CL for $25. It's not on my pedalboard, but I may break it out and give it another go. My impression....

It made my amp sound better. More open. At first I was like.. "wow, this sounds nice".

However if you were in line with the speakers it sounded harsh. And when I listened to my miced recording I was like... "wow, this sounds like crap".

I can't say that I actually was using it the way it supposed to be used because I had the controls to the extreme pretty much. But if you can't hear the effect, what's the point?

I left mine at about 4/10 and it would still get a little ice picky, and a little boomy. I just sorta don't use it anymore. I might start, but I doubt it...no real estate for it.

Quote by GS LEAD 5
All sound waves move at the same speed

The speed of sound in atmosphere remains fairly constant, yes, but frequencies travel at different rates, their peaks and troughs overlap, causing them to be out of phase and sounding "garbled". When people are talking about the subtleness of the SS, it is because the "garbledness" is subtle and you wouldn't notice it without the use of phase correction.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
I left mine at about 4/10 and it would still get a little ice picky, and a little boomy. I just sorta don't use it anymore. I might start, but I doubt it...no real estate for it.
Real Estate is my problem too. I just have too many pedals I'd like on my board.

I just picked up an MXR Blue Box for $25 and put on the board, but I think there is something wrong with it. Seems like the 1st octave down is sputtering in and out. I'm going to have to break it open and start doing some circuit probing.
That's unfortunate Fly. If you figure it out, but don't want it down the line, let me know
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack

The speed of sound in atmosphere remains fairly constant, yes, but frequencies travel at different rates, their peaks and troughs overlap, causing them to be out of phase and sounding "garbled". When people are talking about the subtleness of the SS, it is because the "garbledness" is subtle and you wouldn't notice it without the use of phase correction.

Peaks and troughs overlap not because of different speeds, its because of different wavelengths.

Speed= Lambda x f
where f=frequency and lambda=wavelength

Destructive interference is caused when the wavelength of wave a is an odd multiple of wave b. Not because of different speeds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference_%28wave_propagation%29
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 2, 2011,
I think we're arguing the same thing, I was just using more layman's terms.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I was about to buy one but tried it next to an eq and ended up walking out with the eq instead. I like the sonic stomp but imo a regular eq preamp gives me much more control.
IMO if u have resonance and presence type controls on ur amp, it's not very useful.
It gives my Blackstar a sizzle like the red channel on my 5150. U do have to use it sparingly tho.
I don't know about the pedal form, but with a rackmount unit (which might be the same) after an ADA MP-1. It was night and day. It sounded awesome firstly, but with it added in it really came to life. I think it's like some guys were saying, it really depends on the amp and application.