I am looking for a talk box. I really like the Rocktron Banshee, but the Danelectro Free Speech is about $70 cheaper. The Free Speech does not have good reviews, with people saying that the volume is too soft for live use. My band and I have a PA, so I was wondering if the Free Speech is loud enough for me to simply put it next to the mic I'm using to sing through and have the sound come out of the PA (as most talk boxes work.) I'm weary because the Free Speech is meant to have the tiny microphones that come with it amplify the sound and run it back to the stomp box and then to the amp. Does anybody have any advice or experience with this pedal, preferably live?
Gear:
Guitars:
Cochran Custom Shop Blue
Cochran Goldtop
Washburn Jazz Hollowbody
Cochran Flying V
Amps:
Marshall Class 5
Laney VC15
FX:
MXR Classic Overdrive
Crybaby 535Q Wah
I've wondered this for a long time.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
If the volume is too soft, why not throw a signal booster into the chain with it?
Bumping for curiosity, I know I've wondered how it performs ever since I saw it in a Musicians Friend catalog years ago.
if the free speech is anything like danelectro's bottom line effect pedals, then it's preobably not really suitable for gigging
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
if the free speech is anything like danelectro's bottom line effect pedals, then it's preobably not really suitable for gigging

Yeah, but at the same time, it is $99, so I'd imagine it'd at least be slightly better then their bottom line $20 pedals, lol.
Gear:
Guitars:
Cochran Custom Shop Blue
Cochran Goldtop
Washburn Jazz Hollowbody
Cochran Flying V
Amps:
Marshall Class 5
Laney VC15
FX:
MXR Classic Overdrive
Crybaby 535Q Wah
I've got the Rocktron Banshee which is a great talkbox. You would be better off saving more money and getting the better talkbox
i heard if you try to sell the free speech after you've owned it, you get arrested
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
IMO it could honestly work well. The signal being too weak could be fixed, and it's from the same line as the Daddy-O and the Dan-Echo, both great pedals that I used and gigged with.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
IMO it could honestly work well. The signal being too weak could be fixed, and it's from the same line as the Daddy-O and the Dan-Echo, both great pedals that I used and gigged with.
Ok, that's good. I'll probably give it a shot then.
Gear:
Guitars:
Cochran Custom Shop Blue
Cochran Goldtop
Washburn Jazz Hollowbody
Cochran Flying V
Amps:
Marshall Class 5
Laney VC15
FX:
MXR Classic Overdrive
Crybaby 535Q Wah
the free-speech is useless for gigs, i have tried it in soundchecks and it just didn't have enough output to get a strong enough signal into the mic - and don't bother with those supplied mics that sent the signal through the amp at gigging volumes, you'll get nasty feedback. you'd be wasting your money buying one because you'd only end up buying a rocktron banshee or something later on when you realise you need more output. imo, you should just save up for a rocktron banshee

being from the same line as the daddy-o overdrive and dan-echo doesn't mean anything - while those are pretty good pedals the free speech is useless for anything other than messing around in your bedroom.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Sep 9, 2011,