I play guitar as my main instrument and have taken up drums as a second instrument.
I'm pretty capable in both because I've devoted equal practicing time to both (I don't exactly plan on becoming a virtuoso, but I learn enough to play what's necessary).

However, I also look up about techniques for the Bass guitar. This is so I can get an idea of what to look for in a bassist and possibly teach them a little too.

Does anyone else do this?

(Maybe I just can't make my mind up, I SHALL BUILD THE BASS KITAR!!!)
It's a natural progression man. I usually bust out harmonica on the ride home. Doesn't John Lennon have some quote about a musician being able to pick up anything, and it's still going to sound like music?
I play bass, and am teaching myself piano. I also took a guitar class awhile back, so I can play that moderately alright.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
I learned to play drums first at like 5 by my own will. I think it might take a little bit to get familiar with an instrument, but once you know the positioning for everything, I think it would be just like any other instrument. It's all about your ear.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
I do it too, since joining a band hasn't been working out for me, I instead have to use the Trent Reznor approach, playing guitar and bass, and sequencing drums/synths on my own. Now I mostly need to improve my singing.
I can't, just cause I don't have the money to buy another instrument and I'd prefer to get a custom guitar over a drumset and stuff.

HOWEVER

If I could get the money for a decent keyboard I would totally buy one. I need/want to play piano.
Ya I'm currently working on learn and practicing all of the "rock band instruments" as freepower put it. My goal is to hopefully be competent at them all (but I would never call myself a bassist, drummer, or pianist though).
Quote by DiminishedFifth
I can't, just cause I don't have the money to buy another instrument and I'd prefer to get a custom guitar over a drumset and stuff.

HOWEVER

If I could get the money for a decent keyboard I would totally buy one. I need/want to play piano.

Just get a MIDI keyboard man, you can even get an 88 key one for £150.

Student Loan is your friend
Quote by Crazyedd123
I play guitar as my main instrument and have taken up drums as a second instrument.
I'm pretty capable in both because I've devoted equal practicing time to both (I don't exactly plan on becoming a virtuoso, but I learn enough to play what's necessary).

However, I also look up about techniques for the Bass guitar. This is so I can get an idea of what to look for in a bassist and possibly teach them a little too.

Does anyone else do this?

(Maybe I just can't make my mind up, I SHALL BUILD THE BASS KITAR!!!)

do whatever you want really. its not really a bit deal learning more instruments, but yes the key is finding time to do them all. some like guitar and bass have some crossover however. they are both guitars and are tuned the same, just one is an octave lower and missing two strings (usually). i play bass on the side too, nothing to crazy but enough that i could probably play bass in a band if needed. i tend to know a bit about a lot of instruments because music in general interests me.

i know a guy who plays guitar, piano, bass, drums, harmonica and sings. he does them all decently as well. but he isnt a virtuoso on anything really. but he is more of a songwriter than an instrumentalist. so its really about what your goals are.
Guitars my second instrument. Granted I've been playing for almost 8 years, I've been playing trumpet since I was in 6th grade 10 years ago.

I have learned a lot of instruments over the years, i enjoy being able to play them.

The one I'm most proud of is my accordion. Found one from the early 20s in my grandparents basement a few years back, and it's awesome...the most difficult thing I have ever learned to play.
Quote by griffRG7321
Just get a MIDI keyboard man, you can even get an 88 key one for £150.

Student Loan is your friend

And hook it up through a comp or what? How do MIDI keyboards work..?

And I'm a white, middle-class teenager in America... I'm not entitled to student loans
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Sep 3, 2011,
Quote by DiminishedFifth
And hook it up through a comp or what? How do MIDI keyboards work..?

And I'm a white, middle-class teenager in America... I'm not entitled to student loans

Hook it up to Cubase/Sibelius

And what?! You need to move to the UK man.