first off, i am a GG&A guy and guitarist who is looking for a bass. i read through the tutorial sticky and have a general idea of what i am looking for.

i am a little lost between the split pickups and the pickups that go straight accross all the way. i don't know the difference in tone, function or anything.

this bass will likely be used for friends to use or by me adding it to a recording when i get that setup. i am sure if this bass ever sees a gig, it wont be in my hands .

i live in tampa, decent used market.
i don't want to spend a dime over $500, as i dont need anything near top tier for my use.

i do know that i only want a 4 string.

i have a decent SS 2x10" +tweeter Genz Benz M-line 200 i picked up for $150 a few years ago that is inactively collecting dust.

it needs to be able to be relatively versatile, it will be used likely for blues, rock, and rather intense metal. i know that it is not natural for too many instruments to do that and am willing to budge on any of these requirements.

i have been impressed with the MIA Peavey Wolfgangs i have and a 1984 MIA Peavey guitar i have as well, and would probably like an MIA peavey bass as well, but do not know. but i do want to say that i have never played a Peavey bass.

i also played an older ibanez bass that seemed nice (i am talking maybe late '80's), but unfortunatly i dont remember the name of it.

i will be heading to GC next week to try some basses out,

so i think i have provided you enough information to get you all going, so thanks in advance and if you guys need any more info let me know.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
A Squier Vintage Modified/Classic Vibe Jazz or Precision would be a good place to start. The difference between the pickups is that the Jazz has two single coils, and the Precision has a split coil, which acts like a humbucker (although there is a tonal difference between a split coil and a Musicman style humbucker).

A Jazz or Precision would be a good starting point when you're looking at basses though, they're the gold standards of the bass world. Both are incredibly versatile and will be at home in any genre or band situation, and the Squier Classic Vibes and Vintage Modified's are good quality and retail for around $300-$350 new. A used MIM Fender Precision or Jazz would also be a good bet (usually around the $300 mark used). Go try some out, they feel and sound different, but you can't go wrong either way.

If you like old Peaveys, keep an eye out for old Peavey Patriots, Furys, and Foundations, or a T-40. They turn up from time to time, and should fit right into your budget.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
A Squier Vintage Modified/Classic Vibe Jazz or Precision would be a good place to start. The difference between the pickups is that the Jazz has two single coils, and the Precision has a split coil, which acts like a humbucker (although there is a tonal difference between a split coil and a Musicman style humbucker).

A Jazz or Precision would be a good starting point when you're looking at basses though, they're the gold standards of the bass world. Both are incredibly versatile and will be at home in any genre or band situation, and the Squier Classic Vibes and Vintage Modified's are good quality and retail for around $300-$350 new. A used MIM Fender Precision or Jazz would also be a good bet (usually around the $300 mark used). Go try some out, they feel and sound different, but you can't go wrong either way.

If you like old Peaveys, keep an eye out for old Peavey Patriots, Furys, and Foundations, or a T-40. They turn up from time to time, and should fit right into your budget.

thanks. i was kind of thinking the MIM P or J bass, but as i know with MIM guitars they vary in quality/fit and finish greatly. i have had at least 7 or 8 MIM strats/teles in the last eight, and have only one at the moment which is the best one out of them all, its a '94.

are fender MIM basses and MIM guitars manufactured at the same factory?

yea i am keeping my eye out for 80's peaveys.

what is the general opinion on ibanez's basses?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
All MIM's come from the Ensenada factory. Maybe the guitars and basses are made in different buildings, but they all come from the same facility/complex.

As for Ibanez, their basses are regarded as having good and consistent QC. The ATK's and BTB's are generally considered good all-around, but the SR's have wafer thin necks and narrow string spacing that make them a love-it or hate-it thing.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
As for the Ibanez basses they are great basses though most have thin necks.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by Tostitos
All MIM's come from the Ensenada factory. Maybe the guitars and basses are made in different buildings, but they all come from the same facility/complex.

As for Ibanez, their basses are regarded as having good and consistent QC. The ATK's and BTB's are generally considered good all-around, but the SR's have wafer thin necks and narrow string spacing that make them a love-it or hate-it thing.

thanks for the info on Fender Ensenda plant.

i prefer thicker necks in guitars, so i would imagine i would in bass too, but again what i am looking for is just a decent bass for cheap i would like to keep it at $300 and pick up a decent MIM or something. i probably wont spend a lot of time playing it, i just have a need for one lying around if somebody comes over and wants to play bass.

i have a lot of musicians over, as i have two drum sets set up in my studio as well as a wall of guitars and a wall and a half of amps. i am also going to be getting a PA, and honestly i dont know if the PA will come before the bass or not. i am at a feeler status. if i find the right fender or peavey that is a good deal, i will probably pick it up.

i guess this may be a weird case, but i am kind of buying a bass that will be mine, but i will own it mainly for others to play. so its kind of odd that way.

i had a 1985 washburn bass i got basically free, but cracked in the body, it was usable but i gave it to a friend and he plays it all the time, so that good in my book. i didn't care for it at all anyways, but that was so long ago, i dont remember what it felt like.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
+1 to Peavey. I don't know how different the pricing is in the US but in the UK you can get a Zodiac DE for about that much and a Millennium for a little less. Zodiacs are P/J so you can get both sounds out of them.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Peavey T-40
Cheap,versatile,but weigh a ton
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.