i have a 1x12 celestion g12-65 ( 65 watts ) cab . Could i run a mesa boogie mark IV short head ( for example ) thats 85 watts simul class .

quesiton if i dont intend to blast the amp at full volume .. is there any danger of blowing up something ( beside my eardrum ) ? the impedance would match ( no problem about that ) . i would play maybe what .. around 4-5 on the master volume MAX ( at least i believe ) .

the fact that the speaker handle 65 watts and the head is 85 . if its not at 8 on the master volume , is there any problem ?

*** if they say 85 watt simul class ... is it at 4ohm or 8 ohm ? .. my cab is 8ohm .. so shouldnt the head run lower in wattage when run into 8ohm than 4ohm . ????

i know its not recommend to have a bigger wattage head than cab .. but the manual
say

simulink full power pentode.....85 watts
simulink full power triode........70 watts

Class A full power pentode.....50 watts
Class A full power triode........30 watts
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Sep 1, 2011,
Your probably better off matching the wattages.
You could hook up the amp at a different impedance and get a lower wattage out of it,but doing that with a tube amp could easily end up in a mis-match and cloud of smoke.
Find a cabinet with a slightly higher wattage than your head to take into account the peak output,and give your speakers some headroom.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
It's very likely safe unless you're planning to turn the master up halfway.

I wouldn't go higher than maybe 3-4 with that speaker, or you'll risk getting speaker flap, which you probably don't want with the genres you play.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Skysc
i have a 1x12 celestion g12-65 ( 65 watts ) cab . Could i run a mesa boogie mark IV short head ( for example ) thats 85 watts simul class .

i wouldn't really worry about myself. speakers are rated pretty conservatively for the most part. you'll def hear when the speaker is being pushed too hard.

i have run cabinets with smaller power handling speakers at times for the expressed point of pushing the speaker. i would only recommend it to someone who isn't afraid of wearing out the speaker eventually, but i haven't blown a speaker yet even when purposefully running a wimpy speaker on a powerful head.

Quote by Skysc
quesiton if i dont intend to blast the amp at full volume .. is there any danger of blowing up something ( beside my eardrum ) ? the impedance would match ( no problem about that ) . i would play maybe what .. around 4-5 on the master volume MAX ( at least i believe ) .

there is no math to really say where you can run the master/volume knob. there is variance in specs on parts with amps, so running 4-5 on one amp may be like running 5-6 on another. there is no telling where you can run your amp safely. use your ear, if your speaker is sounding stressed then you need to roll it back.

Quote by Skysc
the fact that the speaker handle 65 watts and the head is 85 . if its not at 8 on the master volume , is there any problem ?

it is not much of a mismatch but that doesn't mean you won't be stressing your speaker when running near it's capacity.

Quote by Skysc
*** if they say 85 watt simul class ... is it at 4ohm or 8 ohm ? .. my cab is 8ohm .. so shouldnt the head run lower in wattage when run into 8ohm than 4ohm . ????

no. it will be running the same power at either 4 or 8 ohms. this has to do with the fact the a transformer is hooked to the output stage of the amp.

if it was a solid state amp, with no output transformer, the circuit would be loaded differently when hooking up a cab of different impedance and the output would diminish with 'bigger' impedance. but that is not the case with your mesa.

Quote by Skysc
i know its not recommend to have a bigger wattage head than cab

really, i have seen different advice on this and it depends on what 'school' you come from.

- i have seen advice saying you should run speakers rated higher than the amp so that way your speakers never get stressed when pushing the amp hard.

-i have seen advice where people recommend running speaker rated lower than the amps output so that you never push you amp hard enough to hurt it (you won't want to run an amp real hard when it sounds like shit from the speakers breaking up so bad).

really depends on where you you'd prefer to see things break when you run things too hard. we are guitarists, we run our amps hard much of the time so we tend to follow the first advice.

Quote by Skysc
.. but the manual
say

simulink full power pentode.....85 watts
simulink full power triode........70 watts

Class A full power pentode.....50 watts
Class A full power triode........30 watts

well, that's easy then. i'd run the amp in class A when using the cab.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae