Hey all

So ill be in New York for vacation in october and im planning on getting a Wah and a distortion pedal.

info
Budget wah: 150(i figure thats enough right?)
Budget dist: same id say? i dont really have an idea of prices
Genres: Mostly metal and punk, but also other stuff like RHCP and Foo
new or used: prefer new
Home or gig: Mostly Home, ocasional Gig
City: NY
Current gear: no pedals, just a Roland 20XL cube and a guitar

My teacher told to look for a Ibanez Tube Screamer and the Morley Wah, are thoose any good?

thanks for the support
...before telling you to get a Tube Screamer, did your teacher know you have a Cube? Tube Screamers are no use in front of a solid-state amp. Trust me, I tried to use one that way once and it was the worst tone I've ever had.

There are so many different distortions that it's hard to recommend any, for me anyway. Look at Catalinbread's products. The WIIO does that awesome ballsy Hiwatt crunch, the Dirty Little Secret does thick, warm Marshall distortion, and the Formula No. 5 does roaring, snarly tweed Fender tones. I think any of them would work for metal with some tweaking, they're very versatile. I also like the Ibanez DS-7. Sansamp's California, US Steel, Classic or GT-2 are all awesome.

For wahs, Morleys are pretty cool. I use the Bad Horsie. However, their big benefit is the automatic switching when you start using them. For better tone and smoother sweep, I personally recommend the Budda Bud-Wah.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
you might be better off saving that money and getting a better amp. as mentioned a tubscreamer won't help you. modeling amps aren't known for liking pedals all that much. the wah will work though. i'd try out as many as you can. i use a Morley classic wah and an Ibanez Wh-10. both work well with distortion. the kirk hammet sig wah works very well for metal.
I'm using a Crybaby from hell, I always find the right spot and tone with this wah, Morleys are good too. Distortion: Catalinbread. Try everything before you buy, you'll be happier with your purchase (remember to try this stuff with same amp and guitar you own).

About the amp suggestion, try some tube amps at the store (maybe a Laney VC15 or something in that price range) and eventually you'll have money to get one, not necessary yet though. Gear comes with time.
Morley are OK, i have one. Dunlops are OK too)))
about distortion - maybe it's really better to change an amp, if you need better distortion than Roland Cube's.
Changing my amp is not an option at the moment and its not going to happen.

a few quick questions:
Dunlop Kirk Hammett Signature Crybaby or Morley Bad Horsie 2? I liked both of their sounds

What about not getting a distortion pedal, but a multi effects pedal instead? Is it worth it?

Just to mention that im brazillian and ill spend like 10 days in NY, so i really wanna come to the store with a few solid ideas in my head

thanks
Buddha wahs are overrated. It's really nothing more than a Crybaby circuit dressed up fancily.
Dunlop: just don't.

For that budget, TS, you could get a used Fulltone Clyde or Teese RMC, Wizard, or Wheels of Fire wah.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
vox wah!
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute

Various Effects
Quote by Elvenballer
Changing my amp is not an option at the moment and its not going to happen.

a few quick questions:
Dunlop Kirk Hammett Signature Crybaby or Morley Bad Horsie 2? I liked both of their sounds

What about not getting a distortion pedal, but a multi effects pedal instead? Is it worth it?

Just to mention that im brazillian and ill spend like 10 days in NY, so i really wanna come to the store with a few solid ideas in my head

thanks

sorry but most fx pedals or multifx just won't work well with your amp. modeling amps like the one you have are designed to be selfcontained. outside signals just don't match up properly and cause the sound to suffer in many cases.

either of the wah's you mentioned are good choices.
Quote by monwobobbo
sorry but most fx pedals or multifx just won't work well with your amp. modeling amps like the one you have are designed to be selfcontained. outside signals just don't match up properly and cause the sound to suffer in many cases.

either of the wah's you mentioned are good choices.

even if i use it on the clean channel and use the distortion from the multi-fx pedal?
Quote by Elvenballer
even if i use it on the clean channel and use the distortion from the multi-fx pedal?

using the modeling distortion from a multi-fx unit will give you no better results than the ones in your amp so what's the point. can't say for sure if that will work any better. i have limited experience with modelers so maybe someone else will chime in. keep in mind that your amp is only capable of sounding so good before it's limitations will come into play.