http://www.alternet.org/story/147058/

"The super-wealthy are already building their first floating castle, a billion-dollar-plus luxury liner that offers permanent multimillion-dollar housing with the best protection of all: moats made of oceans, keeping the land-based Americans they've plundered at a safe distance.

The first such floating castle has been christened the "Utopia"--the South Korean firm Samsung has been contracted to build the $1.1 billion ship, due to be launched in 2013. Already orders are coming in to buy one of the Utopia's 200 or so mansions for sale--which range in price from about $4 million for the smallest condos to over $26 million for 6,600 square-foot "estates." The largest mansion is a whopping 40,000 square feet, and sells for $160 million."

when you are born into a tradition of suppressing and exploiting masses of people, i suppose one of the greater focuses of your work will be finding remote means of control. From this perspective, the reasoning seems obvious -- invisibility means unaccountability; couple that with insane amounts of resources at your disposal and what you have is damn near omnipotence.

that is just one speculation as to why a group would decide to invest money into a project like this. maybe their yachts simply aren't big enough. maybe those stinking peasants just won't keep their grubby hands off them. i don't know. either way, it is a sordid ordeal and i think it sucks.
Preparing for the 2012 apocalypse

Edit: just read the 2013 part... looks like they are running late a bit
Pittsburgh Penguins: 46-22-6
Quote by Arthur Curry
and/or mass revolt against billionaires

In the end, they are probably the same thing anyways
Pittsburgh Penguins: 46-22-6
I'm getting some Bioshock vibes from this

dunno about you guys
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Dio10101
This sounds really cool... but I doubt it will sell too well.

i don't think they would be doing this if it wasn't already in high demand...they are being made for CEOs and bavarians and the like, not "consumers" like you and me.
First manmade mountains now manmade islands?!?!?
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Is this that right-wing utopia thing? I read about it a few weeks ago, pretty asinine.
I feel kind of bad for the rich, because what do you do when you already have everything? What point is there to live when there's no struggle at all whatsoever? It's like you just exist.

Edit: a lot of charities are owned by shady people who pocket most of the profit or use it for their own gain. Very little of the donations actually help people.
Last edited by JohnSmith85 at Sep 2, 2011,
**** me

i thought they were mansions that floated in the sky. i was like how is this possible??? and theni was like oh float as in water *YAWN*
Edit: ^My hopes and dreams are crushed.

Quote by Arthur Curry
and/or mass revolt against billionaires

I wouldn't revolt against someone who said "You know what? Lets build a floating house."

I'd want to work for them.

Seriously, floating houses. This is the kind of Richard Branson insanity that people love eccentric rich people for. This is fucking awesome.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
I wouldn't revolt against someone who said "You know what? Lets build a floating house."

I'd want to work for them.

Seriously, floating houses. This is the kind of Richard Branson insanity that people love eccentric rich people for. This is fucking awesome.

I don't think you would really want to work in a right-libertarian "paradise."