Hey guys!

Been doing tons of 80's riffs and solos..... this might sound embarrassing.. but i cant figure out how to get down pinch harmonics!!! I try to use my thumb right after i pick a single note. But it never works! ( Well maybe sometimes 1 our of 20 times, but its out of luck ) Any advice??
Try messing around with your pick placement in relation to the string. Sometimes it's easier if you move higher/lower to get em.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
I angle the pick a bit, just enough to play the note, and it enables me to have my thumb strike the string almost simultaneously. So, angle the pick so that your thumb faces down to the floor more, and pick through the string. That's just how I do it, and I'm really happy about how my pinch harmonics turn out! Good luck!
Might be your pickups too. It'll of course become a lot easier once your technique develops but for example, I practiced and practiced pinch harmonics and they were good but were also kinda Meh. Now that I have my RR24 with emg's they just scream.

Technique wise just make sure a little bit of your thumb hits the string as you pic. you'll get the hang of it eventually.
Quote by skylerjames13
This +10000

You're a decent 11'er Bryc3e

Nothing can keep you away from the need to create.. Cause your path is free! - Jari Maenpaa
It also depends on the guitar too. Every guitar is a slight bit different in terms of where the harmonics occur. Try experimenting with different areas from the end of the neck to the bridge to see where they're easier to do.
This I have no idea on. I'd go with what Bryc3e said. Once your technique develops, pinch harmonics almost become second nature when you want them.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
Thanks for your help guys! I got my gain up and my saturation up on my amp! Bout to practice it for the next hour! Wish me luck.
Look at your fret board, from 12 up to your last fret, then judge where the 24th fret should be- harmonic.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
Quote by iancmtaylor
Look at your fret board, from 12 up to your last fret, then judge where the 24th fret should be- harmonic.

This +100000

I don't know why this isn't the way pinched harmonics are taught more often.

Other than that check which pick up your using, find which one gives you the best chance, then crank the distortion and practice all over the fretboard. Just keep picking the same note over and over adjusting your positioning until you find how to do it right, it shouldn't take long. Don't forget to add some vibrato on there, too, and try on the higher frets first, it's easier.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by iancmtaylor

Huh?
^ Same concept as a tapped harmonic where you would tap the knot at 12 frets higher then the fretted note to produce a harmonic, except with pinched harmonic they area you're trying to find is past the fretboard somewhere between the neck and the bridge.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Every twelve frets is an octave, you play a pinch harmonic on the 12th fret and you get a perfect harmonic corresponding to the string you are playing on. I play like that for the opening to Nothing Else Matters and it sounds so ossum...

This is a great vid-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I5O8P-r5Rk

This is handy too-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFfiozcLQ1w&feature=fvwrel
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

just move around the string you're pinching and find spots where the harmonic comes out, the pinch spots of course move when you fret another fret, but the more you do it, the more natural it becomes. don't do them twelve frets above, that'll require like way too much right hand movement and thinking haha, just find small spots on the string where they ring out and do them all the time until they become second nature
i find it works better when you kind of squeeze your pick and hit the string hard when playing the harmonic. and as mentioned with your pick under an angle. oh and do a turning motion from your wrist
Quote by iancmtaylor

That makes absolutely no sense, because as soon as you fret a note you effectively change the length of the string, and that means all the harmonic nodes move.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Actually it makes loads of sense. Saying it makes no sense at all is pretty dumb. Anyone that knows what a harmonic is has enough brain cells to move this spot. For someone who is practicing it makes total sense, they aren't going to be going up and down the fret board trying to do pinch harmonics, they're going to sit there for hours on an open string trying to do a pinch.

Sorry if assuming that the people here are intelligent, I guess you don't.
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Quote by iancmtaylor
Actually it makes loads of sense. Saying it makes no sense at all is pretty dumb. Anyone that knows what a harmonic is has enough brain cells to move this spot. For someone who is practicing it makes total sense, they aren't going to be going up and down the fret board trying to do pinch harmonics, they're going to sit there for hours on an open string trying to do a pinch.

Sorry if assuming that the people here are intelligent, I guess you don't.

What you said had no relevance to the discussion at hand, maybe you should try explaining things properly in future.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Are you kidding?

"How do I do a pinch??"
Find the 3rd octave and practice it.
*That is totally irrelevant to the discussion.*
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

The only issue w/ the harmonic node method of playing is that if you have lots of pinches then you would have to continually move your picking hand around to hit those nodes dead on. Im a fan of "use your lead pickup and practice hitting them over the pickup" method.
I learned how to do them by practicing constantly, I fretted the d (or sometimes g) string on the 3rd fret seems to me to be the easiest to do pinch harmonics on.
Also, move your right hand around, I tend to use the bridge pickup as well and have my hand near the neck pickup (hard to explain where exactly, iancmtaylor probably described it the best.

I actually started to be able to do them after I got frustrated about them, dad asked me why I was so frustrated and I tried to demonstrate what I was meant to do and all of a sudden I was doing them .

It's all practice though as well as finding an angle of a pick and placement of your right hand that suits you.