So, yesterday was new tube day for me! After yumming and ahhing for ages I pulled the trigger and spent on some new tubes for my Traynor YCV50 Blue.

I have had it 2 years, I did replace the tubes when I first got it with JJ ECC83s and EHX EL34's and I have never been happy with the overdriven sound, it has always sounded a bit nasally and brittle.

I have also had trouble witht he FX loop on this amp, and had given up on it. I noticed a bit of a deterioration of sound quality the last few weeks and found that the sustain was a bit deadened, and would undulate in volume slightly.

So they arrived yesterday, and I did a quick change this morning before work, and wow what a change! I used a premium JJ ECC83s tube in V1 with gold plated pins, JJ ECC83s' in V2 and V3, and 2 JJ E34L's (I went blue, why not ) for the power section. I don't know what was failing before, but she SINGS now! I have only had the volume low (it was 7:30 am after all) but I heard an instant difference, the clean was way more balanced (I dialled everything but volume dead up at 12 o'clock) and the gain channel has so much more body, a little more gain and a whole lot more sustain! It is a very smooth distortion now, no harsh undertones, no brittle highs, lots and lots of balls! I was using the overdrive function to boost it, but it sounded great with it off too. I wasn't even boosting it with my Bad Monkey!

The best bit thought, I tried my Malekko 616 in the FX loop, and it sounded remarkable! Before the tails were really distorting nastily, and the tone seemed to be sucked just by having it in there, but now it just sounds awesome!

I have a Barber Dirty Bomb which now sounds sublime through the clean channel, but I doubt it will get much use as the gain the amp produces seems so much better. Highly recommened to anyone with a YCV50, I'm blown away!

Here's the boys that I think made the difference:
http://www.hotroxuk.com/jj-electronics-tube-e34l-blue-9073-0.html
http://www.hotroxuk.com/jj-electronics-tube-ecc83s-gold-pin-6964-0.html
http://www.hotroxuk.com/jj-electronics-tube-ecc83s-12ax7-2195-0.html
Good choice.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It's over-rated. The circuitry around that tube is never perfectly balanced anyway. Just use whichever one sounds best in there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I don't much care for any JJ tubes (SED is far better) except for the gold pin ECC803 Telefunken repro, but if you like them, more power to you!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Sep 2, 2011,
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I don't much care for any JJ tubes (SED is far better) except for the gold pin ECC803 Telefunken repro, but if you like them, more power to you!

Actually, the ECC803 is the old long plate Tesla valve. It's the ECC83S that's the Telefunken repro.

I know why you like the 803 bubbs. It's lower gain than the 83. They are bloody quiet.
I've been fairly impressed with the ECC83S. I bought some to put in the next cookie tin amp and have been swapping one in and out of the current amp (you know me, I've got a bit of a collection). It's no Amperex of course, but hey, I'm pretty impressed.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 2, 2011,
I need to go on an NOS hunt again for some rebrands.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.