So, I've been playing guitar for almost 4 years now. I've only recently begun to get into playing lead guitar. I've been trying to develop speed, because I've finally got some amount of melodic playing down.

My left hand seems to be doing great, but my right (picking) hand is not very clear, because I think it's either out of time with, or slower, than my left hand.
Also, when I try to get up to a faster speed, I get a sort of scratching noise. This leads me to believe that I'm angling the pick too much, and not getting a full attack on the strings. Should I be angling the pick as I speed up, or should it get more perpendicular to the strings?

And do you guys have any tips on how I can increase my hand coordination as well as just right hand speed, along with clarity?

Phew... That's a lot of stuff. :P
Thanks in advance.
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-100QM
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Yamaha F310
Ibanez GSR190J
Ibanez TBX15R
BOSS ME-70

Its not what you play that counts. Its how much noise you can make with it!
Your picking isn't working too slowly, it's that your hands aren't working together, right now that really is the only problem you need to concern yourself with as far as speed goes. Take it slow, stay relaxed and never play faster than a speed at which you can remain co-ordinated and in control of what you're doing.

As for the angling/pick noise debate: it is generally accepted as being easier to play faster with the pick angled and a lot of people prefer the little scratchy attack before the note. If you don't, however, it's a balancing act: less angle = less scratch = more effort and the reverse is also true. If you experiment you should be able to find a happy medium that works for you.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It's a tricky one this, I've found myself angling the pick when I'm playing faster too because it's easier. I guess, if it's clarity you're after, you'll have to keep it as flat to the string as possible.
If your playing standing up then you should make sure your guitar is at a height that allows your picking hand to hold the pick in line with the strings. That should stop the scratching. And with the speed: get a metronome set it at a comfortable speed and play in the 1st position. Which means that each finger cover one fret each, starting from the 1st fret. Play each fret cromaticaly. So thats 1234. play 1234 within each beat. Then gradually increase the speed. Then do the same with 3 note per string scales. Such as the melodic minor.
Quote by Cold Reader
It's a tricky one this, I've found myself angling the pick when I'm playing faster too because it's easier. I guess, if it's clarity you're after, you'll have to keep it as flat to the string as possible.

I don't think so: clarity, at least to me, is just being able to hear each note which you should be able to do even with a really extreme angle. I mean just listen to Paul Gilbert, one of the main exponents of pick angling, and tell me his playing isn't clear as anything.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Very true. I'm a huge fan of Paul Gilbert's technique.
His speed is something I'm looking for, with that little melodic twist.

I usually play sitting down, but that's something I think I should work on.
It's not really just the scratching due to angles, but at high speeds I think I'm picking the string more times than necessary.
Any exercises or ideas as to how I could improve coordination though?
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-100QM
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Yamaha F310
Ibanez GSR190J
Ibanez TBX15R
BOSS ME-70

Quote by Riku.dtd
Very true. I'm a huge fan of Paul Gilbert's technique.
His speed is something I'm looking for, with that little melodic twist.

I usually play sitting down, but that's something I think I should work on.
It's not really just the scratching due to angles, but at high speeds I think I'm picking the string more times than necessary.
Any exercises or ideas as to how I could improve coordination though?

There's a whole thread of exercises and songs for technique stickied at the top of the forum, really it's not about what you practice but how you practice. There's a sticky and several videos for that in Freepower's sig as well.

If you're picking more times than you think is neccesary then you're not in control of what you're doing, you're just picking and flailing your fingers at the fretboard rather than picking each note. Slow down, get it under control then speed up.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Alright! Thanks for all the help, I'll be sure to check.
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-100QM
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Yamaha F310
Ibanez GSR190J
Ibanez TBX15R
BOSS ME-70