http://www.allansbillyhyde.com.au/prod/01.45102.332/Fender_Standard_Telecaster_Electric_Guitar_Brown_Sunburst_Maple.aspx

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend of mine.

He is a beginner guitarist and has his eye set on the above guitar. Is this guitar decent for a beginning guitarist, or should he be looking at something else?
Last edited by amaranth_todd at Sep 2, 2011,
That would be a great beginner guitar.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
dude, that is a BIG spend on a first guitar,

Might I suggest a Yamaha pacifica? These are truly awesome guitars expecially at their price point, and at least if your friend gives up, you won't have wasted loads of money on a pricey guitar!

The other thing is that a beginner won't really be able to tell between a quality instrument and a lower end one (though they will obviously be able to tell what is a total piece of crap) so the first guitar is ok to be a bit more budget!

However, if money is no objection, then hell, why not!
A Fender Telecaster is a great guitar for anyone, even the most experienced of guitarist.

It seems like a lot of money for an absolute beginner to spend on their first guitar though, it may make sense for him to consider something cheaper to start with just in case he changes his mind & gives up.

I'd also recommend that any absolute beginner should start on an acoustic guitar until they reach a reasonable level of competency. It may not be as attractive to someone who is just starting out, but they will be better off in the long run.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Bit of a spend on a first guitar. Mine was an Epiphone Les Paul Special II.

It was terrible

I'd go for something a little more low key. There's no point spending big money on a guitar when you might give it up after a week. Many people don't even last that long.
Quote by GaryBillington
It seems like a lot of money for an absolute beginner to spend on their first guitar though, it may make sense for him to consider something cheaper to start with just in case he changes his mind & gives up.

^^ This.
I vote for Yamaha Pacifica. Cheap&ReallyGood. You should find a maple body model.
I Also vote for yamaha pacifica.. the neck is very nice, very good tone, lasts for ages.. and at the price point, it easily beats out the squiers.. but if you have that much money then by all means go for it.. more importantly what amp will he be using ? if he has a really cheap amp or just a bad amp, the amount of money spent on the guitar is probably better spent on buying a good/better quality amp
Get him a shitty guitar, then he'll appreciate how to play an amazing guitar when he gets one. I had a squire showmaster to start with - i've NEVER seen anyone else with that guitar. But i got my LP and i found that beasting licks on it was so easy.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Quote by W4T3V3R
Get him a shitty guitar, then he'll appreciate how to play an amazing guitar when he gets one. I had a squire showmaster to start with - i've NEVER seen anyone else with that guitar. But i got my LP and i found that beasting licks on it was so easy.

This, no point having an ace guitar if you can't play it right.