Hey, I just build and A/B switch but its not working. All the soldering joints are clean and I can't see anywhere that it's short circuiting. The LED's in it work fine its just the input/outputs arn't working. I can hear my guitar playing very quietly through one of the amps then, I push the switch and I can still hear it through the same amp very quietly. It also has a lot of ground hum. I have no idea what’s gone wrong. I built one the other day with a DPDT switch and no LED's and it worked fine. Sorry I can't upload pictures, well I could but you wouldn't be able to see anything since its all so small and my camera is useless. The only thing that I did differently was I used a 8.2kOhm resistor instead of a 2-5k one but I don't think that should effect anything but the LED's. The only thing that I can think of is I soldered onto the switch the wrong way around, but since the LED's work I don't think that is what’s wrong. Can anyone help me out?

Heres the wireing I used. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=443525

EDIT: Ok I just pluged my guitar in to play normaly with out the A/B box or anything and its hissing at me like crazy so maybe theres some eletrical interferance that wasn't here yesterday when I pluged in meaning the hum from the A/B box might be coming from the same place. Still dosn't fix solve the mistery of it not working though.

EDIT 2: Ok the noise coming from my amp and guitar was interferance from my laptop. Its not ushally as bad as it is right now. But that means that these two edits probably have nothing to do with my question haha.
Last edited by da_ at Sep 2, 2011,
first question first... did you solder the switch the right way round? obviously a 3pdt is 3x3 whichever way round you put it, the pins should be like - rather than | for that diagram
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
The diagram looks good, so I'm gonna go with what GA said^
Wine is fine but whiskey's quicker!
Quote by GABarrie
first question first... did you solder the switch the right way round? obviously a 3pdt is 3x3 whichever way round you put it, the pins should be like - rather than | for that diagram

I also though this might be the problem. I'm not sure from looking at it so I will have to just unsolder and resolder it up with the switch the diffrent way. Thanks for the help guys. I'll get back to you with how it gose.
I just re-wired it with the switch the other way round and it still dosn't work. Now the LED's don't work how they are ment to ether. They turn on and off with diffrent plugs being pluged in and the switch being turned on and off but that's all. Dose anyone else know of a diffrent wiring diagram I could look at?
well I'll guess the switch was correct first.

are the solderjoints on the jacks correct, i.e. is the tip wire actually on the bit than connects to the tip?
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Quote by GABarrie
well I'll guess the switch was correct first.

are the solderjoints on the jacks correct, i.e. is the tip wire actually on the bit than connects to the tip?

Yes, but I have two mono jacks that have 3 tabs to solder onto insteed of just two like all other mono jacks I have seen. I don't know if that effects anything but the tip wires are connected to the bit that connects to the tip. And they aren't stereo jacks I'm using :P
Switchcraft jacks. You need to be soldered on to the bit with the v in the end rather than the bit that leans up against it.

I'm on site fitting a bar and reception counter for about another 5 hrs, I'll get some photos or diagrams when I'm home if that's not clear enough
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Quote by GABarrie
Switchcraft jacks. You need to be soldered on to the bit with the v in the end rather than the bit that leans up against it.

I'm on site fitting a bar and reception counter for about another 5 hrs, I'll get some photos or diagrams when I'm home if that's not clear enough

I'm guessing that by the v bit you mean the bit that touches onto the plug when its pluged in? I have one wire conected to that and then the ground wire conected to the tab that leans up agenst the "v bit". Is that right?

EDIT: Are two of the tabs on these switchcraft jacks grounds? and if they are do I need to wire to both of them?
Last edited by da_ at Sep 4, 2011,
I have got the switch now so its playing through both amps at the same time, push the switch and its still playing through both amps. Theres also unberable ground noise.
The one that leads up against it isn't the ground, the third tag is, but if you connect the two together when you have nothing plugged in you get no hum from an open circuit
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Did you turn the switch back round once we had worked out it was correct to begin with?
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Yup I changed the switch back around to the right way and I just changed my ground wires on the jacks so they were right and the switch works but theres still bad ground hum. Its not as bad as it was before but its still to bad to use the switch.
Check there's no cross wiring, solder just slipped in the wrong place, also check all the ground connections on the jack are connected and that the battery/led circuit is totally seperate, keep the jack grounds away from any power source
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Last edited by GABarrie at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by GABarrie
Check there's no cross wiring, solder just slipped in the wrong place, also check all the ground connections on the jack are connected and that the battery/led circuit is totally seperate, keep the jack grounds away from any power source

I think the LED circuit is seperate, the switch still works exactly the same when the battry isnt pluged in so I'm guessing that means there separet and the noise isn't coming from that. I just swaped one of the jacks since the ground tab was lose and spining and it seems to of helped a bit. I can't check properly since everybody is asleep but with head phones on it sounds like the switch would be useable but there is still a bit to much ground noise for my likeings I think. I'll see what its like without the head phones tomorow and hopfully its all working and I will post back. Also I can't see anywere I can't see any cross wiring or solder in the wrong place. Will it make any diffrence that I am useing two of those switchcraft jacks and then one "normal" mono jack that only has two tabs?
Won't matter at all as long as you have the correct joints soldered, double check them with jacks in to make sure all the connections are good
Ibanez WD7 Wah
A couple of hours ago I had it pluged in and it was all working, I think haha. I checked it just before I ran out the door and it seemd to be working. Now I solderd a switch in to turn the LED's on and off so I don't have to disconect the battery all the time and also replaced a wire that was to short and its making noise again. All the conections look good to me. I have a multi meter if that would be any use but I wouldn't know were to test on the circut if it is. Oh, and also I keep forgeting to metion I'm useing a 9v battery insteed of a DC plug, I don't think that will make any diffrence though.