I play a Schecter Hellraiser FR and have used Ernie Ball Regulars (10s) since I bought it 2 years ago. On previous guitars I have used 10s and 11s on the D standard guitar. The Schecter I will keep in E Standard. Genre-wise, it's metal but I play a few clean parts.

It's time to clean the frets and restring and I'm tempted to go down to 9s. My brother uses 9s and they are easier to play on the higher strings (thinking about solo parts here). At the cost of some of the chunky tone when riffing I'm not sure whether it would be worth downgrading.

Has anyone had any experience of this? Any advice generally?

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
I use Ernie Ball 9's, but I prefer the tone of 10's << In soloing AND riffing.
I like 10's better and I am hoping to "upgrade" soon.

but you should go with whatever you like and what feels best.

You could try one of those "heavy bottom, light top" string sets. If you can't find ones with a 9 e-string you can buy it separate.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
9's will be fine. If you're worried about the tone on the bass strings but want the lighter gauge for the treble strings get a hybrid set of strings (light top/bottom heavy). Personally I wouldn't bother with that I'd just get 9's, because a good riffing sound has more to do with your playing than string gauge.
the G B and E string can be changed to 9's, but I'd keep the lower 3 ones as 10s if you play metal.
Think it's still all up to you.
Yeah, I was really considering the hybrid sets or the heavy top-skinny bottom things (whatever they're called).

The problem with those is really the floyd rose as it has to be set up in order to balance the string tension with the springs in the back (gauge does make a difference to this).

Thanks for the advice! Still a little unsure though.

ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
You'll still have to fiddle with your springs and your bridge when changing gauge, whether you go 'hybrid' or not. Personally, I hate 9's, I always break them. If you do lots or gnarly bends with your 10's, you'll be tempted to push it even further with the 9's. I've been playing 10's forever, and I've recently gone up to 11's. I don't think I'm going to break any strings any time soon.
Yeah, I know I'd have to alter the bridge (no pun intended) with 9s. Just assumed it would be more tricky with hybrid.

I break my 10s loads! Not the high strings either, generally its doing pinch harmonics and vibrato on the 6th or 5th string. Last 3 string snaps: 5th, 6th 1st.

Yeah, tbh I may stick with 10s. I 'loosen' them up after about a week anyway and solos are ok. It's just the vibrato I can get on 9s is effortless yet switching seems like a double-edged sword...*sigh* first world problems.

ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
I usually keep my LP in standard but I use 12's (Yeah, I know..wtf?) and I havent broken a string with the 12's yet...try em sometime..

OT, what soulfly said...he always has good wisdom
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
I hate 9s, they go sharp way too easily when playing chords for me, especially in the first position. I can't imagine anyone thinking 10s are a pain, especially for the higher notes which are easier to bend. I used 12s for a while on my strat, but I had to change because doing bends on the middles strings on the first 4 frets were awful.

Lighter strings go sharp easier, require a higher action(because of fret buzz) and are generally considered to be more thin sounding, though I don't know if that really matter for playing with heavy distortion.
I don't like 9s, they break way easier (obviously) and idk. just don't like the feel of them while bending or using vibrato.
10s will last longer and arent hard to play. I can bend as high as 4-5 semitones with 10s, so IMO, 10s are perfect for soloing because they the do the job and leave room for more crazy stuff. 10s sound fatter than 9s, but this is a personal preference, you might like the 9s thin sound. If you play E standard metal, it wont matter much because distortion kind of hides the thinness of the strings. Cleans will sound different.

If it were up to me, id keep 10s
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Thanks guys. Decided to stick with the 10s!

ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39