Page 1 of 2
round up and lets go smash it! and that guy to!

this kills the beauty of playing guitar
That's kinda neat, but will anyone do anything creative with it, not just tuning the guitar? It looks like it just uses pitch shifting, which is hardly a new technology.

I wouldn't say talent isn't needed though.
Eh, I think the whole intonation correction feature is quite awesome.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by vince1991
round up and lets go smash it! and that guy to!

this kills the beauty of playing guitar

Those who play beautifully would use this as an innovative idea and develop their creatively, those who play like shit would never play beautifully in the first place.
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

Yea just like Auto-Tune was used by 'singers' to develop their creativity and innovate.

/sarcasm

This will get raped beyond belief, just wait.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
It will get "raped" by those people who see it as an easy way out. For those special few developed musicians (who don't need to look at the surrounding music scene to come to a conclusion on a technology's potential), they'll be able to turn it in to something cool.

If you can only look at how thing are currently used instead of how they can be used then how can you ever expect to come up with anything remotely interesting?
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

Besides, how much technology does an artist need to be creative? Most guitarists right now use enough pedals and effects racks and electronics to land the Space Shuttle. What was available back in the 60's and 70's? Not even half that and how many amazing songs came from that era. You got 6 string, 7, 8 string guitars with 22 frets, 24, 36 plus all the modelling stuff on top of that yet wheres the next Hendrix, Page or EVH? I don't see one. With all this tech I think artists are losing their creativity not gaining it.

Just my 2 cents.
The reason why we don't have a new Hendrix, Page ect? Because we already have them... People's creativity has moved on since then, you either like that new type of creativity or you don't, but the fact is that if you're sitting around expecting innovative guitarists to appear whilst also harking back to older guitar styles then you're creating an impossible situation. To be a new and creative guitarist, but also sound safe enough so that you can be put in the same group as Hendrix.

If people spent half their time searching for new music instead of complaining about how there is none then a lot of people would be more musically fulfilled.
Quote by grimms

looks nice. fixing intonation that way would be nice. I dont like the note bending thing, since alot of the time a sharp or slightly flat note bend is the sound to look for. And its basically a modeler, it looks quite good. Playing bass on my electric guitar would be hell of awesome.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Quote by ILuvPillows?
If people spent half their time searching for new music instead of complaining about how there is none then a lot of people would be more musically fulfilled.

Just awesome
This thread is hilarious

Yep, this is going to totally kill guitar playing just like rock killed jazz, mp3s killed radio, TV recording killed normal TV, the internet is destroying the written word, TV has killed books, pop killed live music and texting has replaced all verbal communication.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I wouldn't buy one, but you guys need to stop hating every new inovation that happens for the guitar. It's rather clever technology, and intonation has plagued us from day 1. A small number of years ago guitarists would complain, OH GOD, THIS STUPID THING, WHY WON'T YOU INTONATE! I wish I could have a guitar that NEVER goes out of tune or NEVER messes up my intonation, and the second the technology comes to solve that, we shoot it down.

Now, I wouldn't buy one because 1. I see it being expensive, 2. I don't really need it, I can intonate all my stuff and do everything to keep my guitars in tune, which they stay VERY well. HOWEVER, If this was on a begginer guitar, it would help people learn easier. When I first started playing it took me like 2 months to figure out my guitar wasnt even in tune, and then one day when I found out, the intonation was out, so I always played like shit, and it made it harder to learn songs. But this would just be a nice glide in to more intermediate playings for a begginer.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Personally I think this is pretty cool, perfect for gigging, you wouldn't have to ever worry about going out of tune. And you can change tunings instantly, which is pretty convenient.
Actually, can someone explain what this system is? I'm at work and can't watch the video

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by DSOTM80
Yea just like Auto-Tune was used by 'singers' to develop their creativity and innovate.

Never heard of Auto-Tune The News? There's more to people using auto-tune than T-Pain.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Actually, can someone explain what this system is? I'm at work and can't watch the video

Basically there's a circuit board inside the guitar, so that if you're out of tune it fixes it in real time. It can also make it sound like its in drop D or whatever else.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by phayzze
Basically there's a circuit board inside the guitar, so that if you're out of tune it fixes it in real time. It can also make it sound like its in drop D or whatever else.

That's it? Wow... makes this thread even funnier.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Well, at least it sounds like crap.
Currently Using:

Washburn X-Series w/ SH-8 and Pearly Gates
Peavey Vypyr 120h
Peavey Valveking 412 Slant
ISP Decimator
Ernie Ball .12-.56

Quote by CannedBullets
get to Wisconsin, do a S.E.A.L Team 6 style raid on her dwelling with a few other guys, show no mercy
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
This thread is hilarious

Yep, this is going to totally kill guitar playing just like rock killed jazz, mp3s killed radio, TV recording killed normal TV, the internet is destroying the written word, TV has killed books, pop killed live music and texting has replaced all verbal communication.

this.

there are a great many musicians who will simply refuse to use this technology for a good reason - it's only really the simon cowell type guys who are gonna actually utilise this for making cheap throwaway trashy pop to sell to the masses of 13 year olds through the means of marketing.

on the flipside this technology is gonna be useful for switching to alternate tunings on the fly and correcting the tuning if a guitar falls horribly out of tune, but i really don't see how this can actually be a substitute for talent. there's no talent involved in tuning a guitar, guys...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
this.

... but i really don't see how this can actually be a substitute for talent. there's no talent involved in tuning a guitar, guys...

technology eventually evolves.

what if this is eventually developed into something that can make a 12 year old sound like what you had to practice for all your life by pressing some buttons to select preferences and then plucking some random strings witch through an array of electronic shit get autotuned to solo's matching the backing music (but more expanded than like i explained it).

this replaces talent... just speculating now. but this technology is the basis for this. and as there is money to be made (as every 12 year old wants to be able to do this without years of practice) maybe its not that far fetched.

or is it? i'm confusing myself. what?
Quote by vince1991

what if this is eventually developed into something that can make a 12 year old sound like what you had to practice for all your life by pressing some buttons to select preferences and then plucking some random strings witch through an array of electronic shit get autotuned to solo's matching the backing music (but more expanded than like i explained it).

this replaces talent... just speculating now. but this technology is the basis for this. and as there is money to be made (as every 12 year old wants to be able to do this without years of practice) maybe its not that far fetched.

It doesn't replicate talent, it (based on my very limited understanding) replicates the physical ability and like anyone with half a brain can tell you: physical ability is just a way of getting the things you hear in your head out in to the world.

That process you desribed is all very well and good but in order to create good music there still has to be good music in that child's head. Looking at it that way, in some people's hands it will be a toy and for others (those more enlightened people) it is just one more tool in the arsenal of someone who wants to create music.

I love this idea that some people have, that somehow because electronically creating music doesn't require you to play all the instruments that it doesn't still take practice and hard work to be able to use the tools well enough to create anything anyone would want to listen to.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by vince1991

exactly. you're confusing yourself because you're trying to find reasoning behind a completely irrational argument.

this technology is the basis for real-time polyphonic pitch-correction, but there's more to playing a guitar than just playing the right notes in the right order...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

I'll just quote someone from another forum on their take of all of this....

You know when I worked in recording studios (When we still had it) We got the first Antares and started getting all the plugins for ProTools, We could polish a TURD!!! Ever hear of a little band called Blink182? Well long story short, We put out a lot of recordings from bands with absolutely NO talent at all, The band management would just find these young kids that just had the look and send them to us, we would polished there crap and they would then show the bands how to play the outcome. When I first recorded my first record, took me forever to track my guitars. Now just hit a few opens cords and chop it up in Tools, viola perfect song
Quote by DSOTM80

You know what I got when I read that?

BIG LABELS AND THE INDUSTRY ARE KILLING MUSIC!

This isn't going to replace real players playing real instruments because there are still people like you and me who take a lot of pride in our ability to play damn well without any help.

You know what's going to change if this makes it big as a tool for pop producers? NOTHING. Pop records already don't give a shit about the kind of thing you care about so this isn't going to ruin anyone's chances of making it big and it isn't going to stop the kid who wants to actually learn to play guitar learning.

Nothing will change apart from maybe the sound of the average pop song.

Also: Blink-182 are awesome.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
People have been auto-tuning their guitar for years to get the intonation right. This isn't new at all. The difference is that it's on the guitar rather than on the computer. The only people who used it were people who were good enough to get a record deal in the first place. That's not going to change.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It doesn't replicate talent, it (based on my very limited understanding) replicates the physical ability and like anyone with half a brain can tell you: physical ability is just a way of getting the things you hear in your head out in to the world.

That process you desribed is all very well and good but in order to create good music there still has to be good music in that child's head. Looking at it that way, in some people's hands it will be a toy and for others (those more enlightened people) it is just one more tool in the arsenal of someone who wants to create music.

I love this idea that some people have, that somehow because electronically creating music doesn't require you to play all the instruments that it doesn't still take practice and hard work to be able to use the tools well enough to create anything anyone would want to listen to.

This.

Anyone can pick up a paintbrush and paint, it's not hard to do, and even the harder techniques can be perfected with a small amount of patience and practice. So does that mean anyone can make a beautiful painting? No, because the talent is in the mind of the artist, not the tools. Music is not much different, it's just a different form of expression.
I can't find the words and I'm usually opinionated about crap like this...
This is nothing new. Vocoders were invented in the 1930s and systems like auto-tune have been around for a couple of decades now. There isn't a single band in the world that doesn't use some form of synth, corrective software, excess backing, whatever.

Next you'll all be complaining about drummers using click tracks.
Quote by DSOTM80

but think about it - someone's gotta have the talent for using the technology to make something out of the crap said band gives them. technology gives producers more access to creativity.

all this hi-tech stuff being used in the music industry is nothing without someone who knows how to use it creatively - i say, credit where credit's due, if a band really sucks but their records sound good, it's the producer who is the one with the talent.

it's kinda like electronic music really - as much as i hate listening to it, the people who make it still have musical ideas, and without that the technology is useless. they are using technology as their musical instrument. they have a talent for doing that.

I really hate stuff line this. Artificial perfection diminishes all forms of music, and takes everything away from those with actual talent and creativity. It's like the mainstream of today...it's not about their talent..it's about their image. Anyone can sound good in the studio, but live? They dance around so people don't notice the lip synching.
Quote by griffin888
I really hate stuff line this. Artificial perfection diminishes all forms of music, and takes everything away from those with actual talent and creativity. It's like the mainstream of today...it's not about their talent..it's about their image. Anyone can sound good in the studio, but live? They dance around so people don't notice the lip synching.

Not anyone can sound good in a studio, and live shows are a whole different animal. I have a ton of respect for bands that can work miracles in a studio, bands like Tool and Type O Negative(to name a few that come to mind). They are/were composers and you can really tell their music was their passion, not the image or the money.

Not everyone can record an album just like not everyone can go up on a stage an entertain mobs of people. And I doubt people will stop caring about genuine music and talent just because some new digital processor came out to make playing in tune easier.
Quote by W4RP1G
Not anyone can sound good in a studio, and live shows are a whole different animal. I have a ton of respect for bands that can work miracles in a studio, bands like Tool and Type O Negative(to name a few that come to mind). They are/were composers and you can really tell their music was their passion, not the image or the money.

Not everyone can record an album just like not everyone can go up on a stage an entertain mobs of people. And I doubt people will stop caring about genuine music and talent just because some new digital processor came out to make playing in tune easier.

this.

behind every manufactured pop "artist" is a bunch of talented songwriters, session musicians and producers. the "artist" themselves? just the packaging for the product.

Quote by W4RP1G

I was more so referring to auto tune and other mistake hiding effects.
Last edited by griffin888 at Sep 6, 2011,
Quote by Blompcube
this.

behind every manufactured pop "artist" is a bunch of talented songwriters, session musicians and producers. the "artist" themselves? just the packaging for the product.

That's what I was referring to. The artist is just the image.
Quote by griffin888
I really hate stuff line this. Artificial perfection diminishes all forms of music, and takes everything away from those with actual talent and creativity.

I'm not seeing the logic. At all.

Also, that video has some bullshit in it now that I finally get around to watching it. Right near the beginning the CEO guy says something about each core doing 250 million operations per second or something and that being the equivalent of 250 supercomputers per core. Horse shit. Maybe 1960s supercomputers or something...

Quick bit of maths:

Assuming that by "operations" or whatever he said he means floating point operations (FLOPs), 250 million per core, even if there's one core per string, which is unlikely, that's 1500 million flops (megaflops) in the guitar.

The graphics card I just removed from my PC because it's bordering on obsolete for a gaming rig is rated for over 1 teraflop, that's 6 more zeros on the end of the number. The main processor in my PC is benchmarked at 69 gigaflops. Well over the number stated by the dude in the video.

I really don't care about the technology any more but seriously, that guy must be stuck in the past by a few decades to think that his invention has anything on a modern supercomputer. Current fastest computer in the world is rated at 2.507 PETAflops. That's 2507000000000000.

Screw you marketing guy, you are full of crap. I'll admit I'm making a fair amount of assumptions but seriously, no, that thing isn't even more powerful than my desktop right now.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Sep 6, 2011,
Quote by griffin888
That's what I was referring to. The artist is just the image.

exactly, but you said this "takes everything away from those with actual talent and creativity."

so what i'm saying is, that's nonsense, because you know the guys who write the songs that get in the charts? they make a fortune from it. guy chambers, for example, the guy who wrote most of robbie williams' hits. and there's talent in writing a hit song no matter how cheesey and clichéd it might be. you need to understand that there's more going on than meets the eye.

session musicians might not apply to the specifics of your argument, but there are still a lot of great session musicians who play on manufactured trashy pop records all the time.

Page 1 of 2