Anyone had any experience with these guys?

I'm looking to custom build an 8 string specifically ... does anybody have one of these here?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
They were shit.

They are supposed to be getting better, though that remains to be seen.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
They were shit.

They are supposed to be getting better, though that remains to be seen.

I've been reading that ... how long ago were they considered shit?

I read since then they've change their policy and you can send the guitars back right away if you aren't satisfied.

EDIT: Also, if you don't recommend going Halo for a custom 8, then where? I'm tired of seeing all these MIK piece of shit 8s, especially the Schecter Hellraiser I used to own. I see no reason going £1500 for a RG2228 when I can custom build for the same or less.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Last edited by La Qotsa at Sep 2, 2011,
Quote by La Qotsa
EDIT: Also, if you don't recommend going Halo for a custom 8, then where? I'm tired of seeing all these MIK piece of shit 8s, especially the Schecter Hellraiser I used to own. I see no reason going £1500 for a RG2228 when I can custom build for the same or less.

You realize custom halo guitars are built in china right?
Quote by rox355
You realize custom halo guitars are built in china right?

I'd only have to assume that Made In China stuff is better than Made In Korea? Even still, my Halo will be custom made by a human, not mass produced in a factory by machines, that's got to account for something, right?

Quote by Zeletros
You didn't like Schecter 8-string?

You can forget about 8-strings then

I can only assume you know nothing about 8 strings at all ... my Schecter Hellraiser C-8 was a defective piece of shit that came from Korea (and I'm not surprised, as I've had many headaches with Korean made guitars.) On top of that, it has a 26.5" scale which is FAR. TOO. SMALL. for an 8 string, there is nowhere near enough tension on the low F# up at a 0.80 gauge ... I am speaking from experience. Don't bother with Schecter 8 strings. If you have one and think it's great, I feel sorry for you.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
I assuming my Halo, you mean like. . Master chief, covenant, science fiction inspired guitars - right?
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by La Qotsa

I can only assume you know nothing about 8 strings at all ... my Schecter Hellraiser C-8 was a defective piece of shit that came from Korea (and I'm not surprised, as I've had many headaches with Korean made guitars.) On top of that, it has a 26.5" scale which is FAR. TOO. SMALL. for an 8 string, there is nowhere near enough tension on the low F# up at a 0.80 gauge ... I am speaking from experience. Don't bother with Schecter 8 strings. If you have one and think it's great, I feel sorry for you.

I agree, Schecter doesn't make very good 7 or 8 strings. Thats just my opinion.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by La Qotsa
I'd only have to assume that Made In China stuff is better than Made In Korea? Even still, my Halo will be custom made by a human, not mass produced in a factory by machines, that's got to account for something, right?

Just use a thicker string. I can set up F# tuning on a 25.5'' scale with an .80 on the sixth string my current guitar is in B standard with 14's, and im still finding it flubby.

Btw considered an Ibanez RGA8?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 2, 2011,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Just use a thicker string. I can set up F# tuning on a 25.5'' scale with an .80 on the sixth string

On a guitar that isn't a schecter 8? That's good for you, personally I wouldn't be able to stand the buzz because there's no way you're getting none. I'd love you to get a Hellraiser C-8 and set it up with low action and no buzz with a 0.80, I couldn't and 2 different guitar techs couldn't. They all said 26.5" is too small for an 8 string, because it is.

This is getting derailed, however. Are Halo 8 strings any good?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by La Qotsa
On a guitar that isn't a schecter 8? That's good for you, personally I wouldn't be able to stand the buzz because there's no way you're getting none. I'd love you to get a Hellraiser C-8 and set it up with low action and no buzz with a 0.80, I couldn't and 2 different guitar techs couldn't. They all said 26.5" is too small for an 8 string, because it is.

This is getting derailed, however. Are Halo 8 strings any good?

Im getting buzz only on the 12th fret (a o.68) because of a kink in the string on the low B

Just get a set of 11's and youll be fine. Unless the guitar itself is defective.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Im getting buzz only on the 12th fret (a o.68) because of a kink in the string on the low B

Just get a set of 11's and youll be fine. Unless the guitar itself is defective.

I believe part of my problem was a defective guitar also, but I stick to my original statement: 26.5" scale is too short for an 8 string.

Why else would Ibanez be making 27" and Agile 27", 28.625" and 30" necks? For tension and clarity.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by La Qotsa
I believe part of my problem was a defective guitar also, but I stick to my original statement: 26.5" scale is too short for an 8 string.

Why else would Ibanez be making 27" and Agile 27", 28.625" and 30" necks? For tension and clarity.

varying personal preferences? Longer scale=thinner strings with comparable tension
Also loads of people prefer thinner strings. I dont. I string D standard with 13s

Try an RGA8.

Else try an Agile, RAN guitars and Daemoness too.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Personal preference? Longer scale=thinner strings with comparable tension
Also loads of people prefer thinner strings. I dont. I string D standard with 13s

Damn man ... that'd be like barbed wire to me.

I just couldn't get the Schecter set up to my liking, the action had to be uber high to eliminate buzz and that just wasn't for me. The only fix is a longer scale, so I'm looking into custom 8 strings.

Anybody with a Halo 8 here? Anyone?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Edited post

Btw what guage did you use?

Btw I think this will work well....

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/signature/sc-608b.html

Its a little over 900 pounds IIRC.....

I used 0.80 and it was floppy as **** and buzzed on every fret. 26.5" scale

ESP never turned me on too much ... I'm thinking of going the custom route, just don't know who to go to.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
My left handed guitar player absolutely loves his Agile interceptor 7. It sounds really nice, and he'll talk about how much he loves it all the ****in time. Bastard is left handed so I can't play it.
Quote by La Qotsa

Korea has been making guitars much longer and to a higher standard than Chinese as a whole, so no Chinese stuff is only cheaper.
If you want a Custom guitar look at Carvin, or check out a luthier in your area. A custom guitar will cost on average $2000+, not $500 .

If I'm not mistaken with Halo, you aren't getting a custom, but rather choosing options like on a car. And with a reputatin like theirs I wouldn't give them a penny for the "sub par" guitars they are known for.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Korea has been making guitars much longer and to a higher standard than Chinese as a whole, so no Chinese stuff is only cheaper.
If you want a Custom guitar look at Carvin, or check out a luthier in your area. A custom guitar will cost on average $2000+, not $500 .

If I'm not mistaken with Halo, you aren't getting a custom, but rather choosing options like on a car. And with a reputatin like theirs I wouldn't give them a penny for the "sub par" guitars they are known for.

Thanks for the infos man.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
So basically all you need is a longer scale than the Schecters 26.5?

Find a friend you can trust in the USA. Have him order an Agile. Get him to check if it has no flaws. If it doesn't, get him to send it to you.

Agile's 8 strings go all the way to a 30 inch scale. If you need more than that, you're doing it wrong.
I'd be looking at a 28" scale ... simply to add tension to the F# so it doesn't buzz and flop around everywhere.

As for a friend in the USA? I don't know 1 damn American.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by Robbgnarly

Actually, We are a FULL Custom Shop. We do unique designs all the time.

Yes we also do plenty of 'semi'-custom instruments based off of our designs.

I have a few pics of my personal Octavia 8str in my profile pics as well.