First of all, if this is in the wrong place, im sorry, but it seemed like the best subforum for my question, which is this: I am a Mod (60's, Lambrettas, Suits etc) but the other members of my band are not. We havnt discussed band image yet, but i have a very strong suspicion that they are not going to dress like mods. So my question is, would it be a good idea for me to change my style to fit the band image? does band image necssesarily have to cover all the members in the band? Thanks in advance, and i hope you can understand what i mean .
Bass:Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
Guitar: Fender Mexican Telecaster Standard
Pedals: Boss ME-25>EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi>EHX Small Stone
Bass Amp: Orange Crush 100
Amp: Fender Mustang II
Quote by JakeElson
First of all, if this is in the wrong place, im sorry, but it seemed like the best subforum for my question, which is this: I am a Mod (60's, Lambrettas, Suits etc) but the other members of my band are not. We havnt discussed band image yet, but i have a very strong suspicion that they are not going to dress like mods. So my question is, would it be a good idea for me to change my style to fit the band image? does band image necssesarily have to cover all the members in the band? Thanks in advance, and i hope you can understand what i mean .

You don't necessarily all look the same or have to have some gimmick. It does hep, but not necessary.

Think of ac/dc...you got one guy running around in a school boy uniform and the rest are in jeans and t-shirts...and then on the other end of the spectrum you have bands like KISS where image is a huge factor in their over all show, and they all dress similarly.

You need something or some style that people can identify you with though. Whether it is the jeans and t-shirt or loads of make-up and poofed up hair. You don't all have to be in the exact same type of clothing to do that.

The idea is though, when you get offstage at a gig...you shouldn't fit in to the crowd, you should be easily identifiable as members of the band. If someone didn't catch your set and then walked into a venue and saw you, you would draw their attention. In other words, be the loudest in the room.

At least that's what I think bands need to do.^^

Edit: to the below post.

I agree, worry about having a good set and being tight and promoting yourselves properly, because otherwise the "look" doesn't mean sh*t.
Last edited by scguitarking927 at Sep 2, 2011,
Ok thanks, that was very helpful
I know image is important for signed bands. People want to have that instantly identifying image. When you're playing locally, I'd be more concerned with the tightness and quality of the band. I guess it's somewhat important to have some look about you, but from experience the audience wants a good show and a band that interacts with them over a cool look or whatever. We never cared about that stuff and we were able to get a pretty good following going. I attribute that to after I was done the gig, I'd jump off the stage, hit the bar and talk to people. I think being close to your audience is far more important than a look.
Ok, so focus on sounding good first, and then looking good later when we have a bit more of a following. And make an effort to connect with audiences during and after the show. Thanks.
It depends. Do you want to conquer the world or just have fun?

If you're just having fun, then your image isn't that important, except that dressing up in costumes might be fun in itself.

If you're aiming to conquer the world, then yes, you definitely need to sort out the image.

But IMO, this is a "small win". Get some kick-arse music and the image will follow.

This is great advice:

Quote by JakeElson
Ok, so focus on sounding good first, and then looking good later when we have a bit more of a following. And make an effort to connect with audiences during and after the show. Thanks.
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler
I don't see how paying attention to your looks would prevent you from honing your sound as well. Obviously sounding good is more important, but there's not really any reason that you shouldn't think about your appearance too. Its really not that much of a time commitment to figure out how you should look onstage anyway.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by mrbabo91
look shouldn't be important at all. its all about the music

Oh you naive deluded fool
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Like the others have said, the most important thing is your sound.

To answer your question though, be yourself. If you want to be a mod, be a mod. If the others don't, let them be who they want to be. Don't change yourself for others, you will regret it.

It ends up being an advantage for you. If there are 5 people in your band with 4 of them wearing jeans & t-shirt while you're wearing a suit, you're the one who gets noticed. In the same way that Angus in AC/DC is their main gimmick (aside from the music), you become the main gimmick of your band.

You are the one who gets remembered and when people are talking about the band they saw last month people will say things like "oh yeah, the band with the guy in a suit".

It will be you that makes your band stand out from the crowd.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by ChemicalFire
Oh you naive deluded fool

ok It SHOULD be all about the music. Its a shame that we live in a world where its not.
A guy in a local band I went and saw dressed up wearing a kilt. It made me remember them and their name.
Quote by AlanHB
I'm a mod...

lol icwatudidthar

Regarding the look of the band: the most important thing about a band's image is the confidence. There are bands that have enough swagger to wear baggy shorts and t-shirts on stage and still look awesome. On the flip side, there are young bands that get all dressed up but still don't look comfortable on stage and don't SELL their image to the audience - they end up looking even more awkward as a result. Being comfortable and acting natural on stage can take a while to develop but don't sweat it. If you play for long enough - it'll come.

Although I will say this - sometimes dressing up to play gets you into "character" and lets you be more confident on stage. If I feel that I look good when I'm on stage, I'm more at ease and comfortable than when I don't.

Oh and after all that - don't forget about the music.
Agreed that a cohesive image isn't too important at first anyway. Once you get tight with your playing, see what the crowd likes and identify the type of people that are embracing your band. From there you can engineer an image that you think will make them happy or give them a message you want to send. You'll have more fun with it and get better results if you develop that image as you gig, rather than coming in with a preconceived notion and following it to a T.

Quote by mrbabo91
ok It SHOULD be all about the music. Its a shame that we live in a world where its not.

I don't think popular music (and that doesn't mean just pop) has ever had less than 50% image as its point. People like music because 1) it sounds pleasant and 2) it gives them something to identify with. The image part makes it a lot easier for number two to take place and there's no shame in that. If a set of sounds defines a genre and the community that surrounds it, a certain look can do the same thing with equal validity.
Quote by scguitarking927
You don't necessarily all look the same or have to have some gimmick. It does hep, but not necessary.

Think of ac/dc...you got one guy running around in a school boy uniform and the rest are in and t-shirts...and then on the other end of the spectrum you have bands like KISS where image is a huge factor in their over all show, and they all dress similarly.

You need something or some style that people can identify you with though. Whether it is the jeans and t-shirt or loads of make-up and poofed up hair. You don't all have to be in the exact same type of clothing to do that.

The idea is though, when you get offstage at a gig...you shouldn't fit in to the crowd, you should be easily identifiable as members of the band. If someone didn't catch your set and then walked into a venue and saw you, you would draw their attention. In other words, be the loudest in the room.

At least that's what I think bands need to do.^^

Edit: to the below post.

I agree, worry about having a good set and being tight and promoting yourselves properly, because otherwise the "look" doesn't mean sh*t.

That depends on the type of music your playing also, a blues or country audience needs to see that your a guy just like them. A guy with the same interests, same lifestyle and same struggles as them. They dont want a larger than life figure before them they want THEM before them.
^ This is true. I once played a gig with my Alt Rock band were all the rest of the bands were post-hardcore bands with tats, piercings and fringes. Now we played better than most of the other bands their, save the headliners. But we were not as well received.

We had a theory as to why, we had confidence on stage, we were loud, obnoxious and in your face were as the rest of the bands just kinda stood their looking down and singing about how their lives sucked. The audience was mainly 14-16 year old girls, they didn't want confidence, they wanted someone to relate to about "their problems".

Image can be important, you've pretty much got to pander to your audience, once people love you you can act almost how you like.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
If you wan't that image, go for it. A band doesn't neccesarily need to all dress similarly, (read: boybands??). People sometimes underestimate what looking good and getting into another image/persona can do for their confidence, also for their performance. Run the idea past your bandmates - if they don't buy it, go commando on your own.
Quote by im_with_theband
Your G-string sounds funny?

Thats...

...wait for it...

...what she said

Quote by Pregowski92
people who post spontaneously unfunny, boring cliché comments are made about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit, on my threads.

good day, sir.