So, I'm in love. The object of my affection is that lovely ODed Les Paul tone. My only problem is that I hate the thickness of LP necks; I'm much more comfortable with a slimmer neck. Can anybody suggest a good LP copy that will have a slimmer neck, dual humbuckers, and all the standard Les Paul goodness? I'm hoping to keep it under $1000 US, lower is better obviously. Not opposed to buying used.

ETA: If it has the option of a Bigsby or other trem, that'd be pretty cool, too, but not a necessity by any means.
Last edited by UnbrokenGlass at Sep 2, 2011,
Gibson makes a LP standard with the 60's neck.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by Wisthekiller
Go for one of those or an LTD EC/Used ESP Eclipse maybe is my vote.

+1
Quote by whoomit
smoke weed chill an watvch rugrats errday
Epiphone and even Gibson's slim taper neck is much smaller then the 50's style neck.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Epi/Gibbo 60's neck or the D-neck the Epi Prophecy guitars had.
PRS Single Cut if you want something fairly traditional and non-Gibson
ESP EC if you want something modern and non-Gibson
Gibson Studio 60s Tribute. Has P90s.

If you can find a really good deal on a Gibson 60s Traditional, get one. They're fantastic.

Both of those have the 60s necks that are much slimmer than the normal Gibson necks. They're both fantastic.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
ESP Edwards LP92. The neck is not a speed neck but it is not a baseball bat either. It's just a bit rounder than an ESP EC-1000 neck. But if your eyes were closed you probably couldn't tell one from the other. Fantastic quality guitar for any price. They probably offer the most value for the dollar of any guitar produced today. They are made in Japan in the ESP factory.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP-Edwards-E-LP-92SD-CS-DUNCAN-Long-tenon-New-/270797890530?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f0ccfe3e2#ht_11527wt_1396

Last edited by Finger Cramp at Sep 3, 2011,
slim taper 60s. only neck i like on any gibson/epiphone.

if you want really thin, look at ESP or Ibanex or something.
+1 on esp/ltd/edwards

just bear in mind edwardses aren't 100% mij
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1 on esp/ltd/edwards

just bear in mind edwardses aren't 100% mij

Parts are made in China and shipped to Japan for assembling. But who cares... They're damn good. Actually I think Fender is doing the same with their Highway1 series.

I can't exactly say Edwards has thin neck, though :p It was very chunky, more of a 59 neck than 60.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Sep 3, 2011,
50th Annv Ro from Epiphone is now around $599.....
<http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-limited-edition-50th-anniversary-1960-les-paul-version-3-electric-guitar>

Come with the V3 neck which is 60's slim (Very slim, too slim for me)
Features:
  • Carved hard maple cap with AAA flamed maple veneer
  • Non-chambered mahogany body
  • Creme binding
  • Polyurethane finish
  • Set mahogany neck
  • Deep-set neck joint
  • Rosewood fretboard with creme binding
  • SlimTaper™ '60s-style neck profile
  • Nickel hardware
  • LockTone Tune-O-Matic bridge/stopbar tailpiece
  • Gibson U.S.A. Burstbucker 1 neck humbucker with Alnico II magnets
  • Gibson U.S.A. BurstBucker 2 bridge humbucker with Alnico II magnets
  • Volume/Volume/Tone/Tone controls
  • Gold witch hat knobs with metal inserts
  • Vintage-style tulip tuners
  • Switchcraft 3-way pickup selector toggle switch
  • Mallory-150 tone capacitors
  • Stamped serial number
  • Includes vintage hardshell case and certificate of authenticity

If you want a classic Les Paul wth a slim neck but can't afford Gibson this one is it. The BBS come in the Custom Shop RI guitars! The other features I highlighted are significantly better than your standard EPI Spec. A great deal at the price.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Sep 3, 2011,
Quote by hminh87
Parts are made in China and shipped to Japan for assembling. But who cares... They're damn good.

yeah, they're nice guitars, it's just worth pointing out. They're not as good value as if they were 100% MIJ.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Also the exchange rates are so messed up right now that Edwards aren't as great value as they used to be.
I can't believe no one said Hagstrom Swede. I have one and it looks, plays and feels almost like an original Gibson Les Paul Custom and has a thin neck. Not thin like an Ibanez, but definitely on the thin side.

http://www.hagstromguitars.com/Swede.html

The best thing is... it's only 500€. Extremely high quality guitar for the price.
Quote by Poglia
I can't believe no one said Hagstrom Swede.
Quote by Lespauljames
what about a haegstrom.?

some of the Swede models come with a bigsby!

Well done.
Quote by grohl1987
Also the exchange rates are so messed up right now that Edwards aren't as great value as they used to be.

word

actually (in the UK anyway) it's often better value to find a dealer here (same with most MIJ stuff now ), whereas when the exchange rate was much more favourable, it was normally cheaper to import.

richtone has some deals on edwardses at the moment, for example.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cort Classic Rock
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
does it have to be a single cut?

i mean, are you interested in the build (solid mahogany with maple cap) or the look? (single cut)

if you are interested in the look, then a ltd 1000 by esp should fit the bill nicely (the amber burst ones). if you are going for the general tone, then i would say to have a look at the prs se singlecut trem

http://www.rondomusic.com/product4529.html

would also have something like what you want. its a slim neck thru design which means no baseball neck-ness.
Quote by gregs1020
does it have to be a single cut?

i mean, are you interested in the build (solid mahogany with maple cap) or the look? (single cut)

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Edwards mill work on the wood is done in China under the quality control of ESP employees. Who cares where the mill work is done. It's all done CNC anyway. The guitar is assembled and finished by luthiers at the ESP factory. What's important is who is doing the fret job, and final setup. The hardware is Gotoh, CTS, Seymour Duncan etc. All top of the line stuff. Whereany guitar is built should be no predetermining factor of how it will play. I have an ESP Ec-1000 that was made in Korea and plays just as well as the Edwards.
i thought the pots were alpha

While I'd agree to a certain extent, I think it's important to a certain extent, too. I might be willing to pay more for a guitar if I thought it were completely MIJ because of higher wages etc.. Also, the wood supplied to the chinese factories might not be as good as the wood supplied to the japanese factories.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
So many people hyperfocus on where the gutar was manufactured. Japan, Korea, China, Indonesia etc. Who cares where it's made?!?!? If you have trained workers building the product and quality control is present and strict then well built guitars will leave any factory. BTW... the ESP mill house in china where the wood is cut on CNC routers is owned by ESP and stocked with ESP employees and ESP management. They mill no other wood there than than the wood destined for the ESP Edwards production line. No other company has their hands on Edwards guitars other than ESP.

The Chinese have the finest manufacturing capability available anywhere in the world. The question is what does the contractor want to pay. Like everything else you tell the Chinese factory not to cut corners and the product will compete with the best the rest of the world could manufacture. It's the contractor that sets the price point for the guitar and then the factory says we can give you this quality for the price your willing to pay. Not true with Edwards because they use there own factories.

They may use different pots on different models. The lower end models 92/98 may get Alpha. I got the top of the line 125ALS. It has CTS pots. The excerpt below was taken off the Edwards website.

"ESP EDWARDS from " E-LP-125Als "was released. " E-LP-125Als "is characterized by a unique texture finish. The Seymour Duncan pickups are made ​​of "SH-55 'Seth Lover'" capability, such as using the output jack pot made ​​the switch control and crafts made ​​by CTS, which delivers rich sound up a notch by the Assembly. Prices start at 131,250 yen (tax included)."
Last edited by Finger Cramp at Sep 10, 2011,
ah ok, that might be it regarding the pots

and i agree regarding the quality of the guitar, but for a long while esp or the retailers were pretty quiet on exactly where edwardses were made. That's my problem more than where they're made. I agree that (the couple i've tried, anyway) they're pretty nice for a chinese made guitar.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
PRS SE Singlecut, they have them with the trem, and you can stick some Burstbucker in as well for the gibby tone.
Quote by KenG
50th Annv Ro from Epiphone is now around $599.....
<http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-limited-edition-50th-anniversary-1960-les-paul-version-3-electric-guitar>

Come with the V3 neck which is 60's slim (Very slim, too slim for me)
Features:
  • Carved hard maple cap with AAA flamed maple veneer
  • Non-chambered mahogany body
  • Creme binding
  • Polyurethane finish
  • Set mahogany neck
  • Deep-set neck joint
  • Rosewood fretboard with creme binding
  • SlimTaper™ '60s-style neck profile
  • Nickel hardware
  • LockTone Tune-O-Matic bridge/stopbar tailpiece
  • Gibson U.S.A. Burstbucker 1 neck humbucker with Alnico II magnets
  • Gibson U.S.A. BurstBucker 2 bridge humbucker with Alnico II magnets
  • Volume/Volume/Tone/Tone controls
  • Gold witch hat knobs with metal inserts
  • Vintage-style tulip tuners
  • Switchcraft 3-way pickup selector toggle switch
  • Mallory-150 tone capacitors
  • Stamped serial number
  • Includes vintage hardshell case and certificate of authenticity

If you want a classic Les Paul wth a slim neck but can't afford Gibson this one is it. The BBS come in the Custom Shop RI guitars! The other features I highlighted are significantly better than your standard EPI Spec. A great deal at the price.

A great deal if you want to gamble and hope you get a decent guitar thats playable. I just purchased this exact guitar from musicians friend because of the sale price and extra 100 off after spending 600.

The kneck pick up was loose. Rattled in the body. Not to mention it wasn't set up close to being playable. The kneck pickup tone pot did not work. Was a constant hum with a ticking noise coming from the amp when plugged in. The strings were a mile off the fret board around the 18th fret but also had fret buzz on the first fret when playing an open string.

Ive read reviews on epiphones some being o.k. others not so good. Im here to tell you i will never purchase another epiphone. Guitar was sent back waiting for money to be returned.

After owning a schecter i would recoment a schecter solo-6 and after playing ltd's at my local shop i would also recomend ltd ec's.
I would try a PRS if you have a good bit of cash to spend otherwise I'd go with maybe an ibanez rg for the neck not quite les paul sounding but with the right amp you can get it to sound fat like a les paul. Also I'd try an ESP or LTD eclipse the ltd is more metal but cheaper but the ESP will sound more fat with a pretty high prcetag
15 years old playing 4 years and no lessons. Guitars:Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Amps:Peavey 6505+ head, Peavey Classic 50 combo, Peavey audition 110. Effects:IbanezTS-9, Dunlop535qwah, BossMT-2. YouTube A7Xguitarplayer0272
this might've been mentioned already, but you can custom order an agile now
HILT!

Where's Waldo?