Poll: Do you prefer Side Scroller or Top Down View Games?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you prefer Side Scroller or Top Down View Games?
Side Scroll
17 53%
Top Down
12 38%
Other (specify in thread please)
3 9%
Voters: 32.
I've been working on a plot for a simple game lately, and the way it's worked out either view would work fine. (Side scroller being like the old mario games, terria, etc and top down being like the gameboy zelda and pokemon games.) I was considering doing a combination of the two in my game(having the world travel being done in the top down view, and then like the actual dungeon and such being side scroller), but not to sure if i want to do that. So, when you guys play a non 3D game, which do you prefer? Or, give another opinion on that matter. Thanks!
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Do it like Oracle of Seasons/Ages. Mostly top-down, but with little bouts of side-scrolling.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
crap I voted before reading the OP. Was gonna say FPS but after reading I'll say top down.
Quote by doomded
Do it like Oracle of Seasons/Ages. Mostly top-down, but with little bouts of side-scrolling.

You mean Link's Awakening? Aww yeahhhh
diablo and bastion vs super mario or contra? Can't choose because I don't have enough info.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by doomded

That's what it's looking like I'll probably end up doing. All the actual navigation and exploration will be done in that style, but the dungeons+puzzles+bosses will be side scroller.

Story? Don't want to say to much, but think Greek/Roman Empire. Game play will be a mixture of zelda, terria, with a bit of RPG thrown in. At least, that's how it stands now. The story and design isn't even completed yet. I just need to narrow it down. If there is a preference for a certain one, I'll tailor it to that. Otherwise I'll do a combination of them.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
Quote by metalwarrior40
That's what it's looking like I'll probably end up doing. All the actual navigation and exploration will be done in that style, but the dungeons+puzzles+bosses will be side scroller.

Story? Don't want to say to much, but think Greek/Roman Empire. Game play will be a mixture of zelda, terria, with a bit of RPG thrown in. At least, that's how it stands now. The story and design isn't even completed yet. I just need to narrow it down. If there is a preference for a certain one, I'll tailor it to that. Otherwise I'll do a combination of them.

Cliche. Set it in Africa or South America. That would be badass.
Check out my band Disturbed
Can't decide. I'm a huge fan of Mario, Megaman, Castlevania, Metroid etc but also love my top down RPG's I.E. Zelda, Earthbound, Final Fantasy, Golden Sun etc.

I think i'd have to go for Side Scroller though as i find (the old ones atleast) give a better challange.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Cliche' eh? I didn't think it was that cliche. The game play will be familiar, but not that familiar it will be boring I think. I'm not looking to get rich of it either, It'll be released free.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
If done well, then isometric view is my favorite.

Think Mario RPG:

It's a huge bitch to program, though. Between side-scrolling and top-down, I'd say unless it's a jump'n'run game, then top-down.