I would buy a set this expensive. I snap so many strings (8s) during recording with whammy vibrato, that its starting to give my playing a timorous inhibited edge which I dont like. Snapping a string at the end of a "gem" take is traumatic

Surely theres some amazing ferrous composite out there designed by NASA or something
Its not the strings that are the problem, possibly looks like your saddle is eating up your strings if its snapping.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
If there's anybody out there willing to pay $50 per string, there's probably somebody out there making $300 packs of strings.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Last edited by Prophet of Page at Sep 2, 2011,
I'm afraid no one has come up with an unbreakable guitar string yet. I agree with the earlier post: it isn't the strings. There is likely something wrong with your bridge. Either you've got a burr or a knife edge on one of the string saddles or your string angle between bridge and tailpiece is too severe.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Don't use 8's maybe? That's really, really thin. Are you using it for a high F# or something? 9's should be more than thin enough for E.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
A $50 set of strings? Sure, a $40 setup to remove the burr from your saddle and a $10 set of EB titaniums.

If you've taken care of the saddles and are still breaking strings:

If you're using 8s, you either need to recognize that you can't wail on them like a monkey, or you need to use a bigger gauge. More expensive strings corrode less or sound better, but aren't generally stronger, because breaking strings is almost never an issue with the string. It's almost always the guitar or the player. Plus, the easiest way to make a stronger set of strings is to just make them bigger - hence, if you're breaking 8s, get some 9s. The materials used are quite strong already.
Simple. Quit using 8s and move up to 10s. Problem solved.

Unless, like others said you have something wrong with your bridge, but I'm betting that they're just too thin
Not sure if serious...

But seriously, theres got to be a reason why you snap strings. I use .10s in standard, and play very aggressively sometimes, so I'm considering moving up to .11s.

Check all your hardware, to see if theres any sharp areas on the bridge or nut that is snapping the strings. If they break in the same place every time, thats where your problem is.

It sounds like your problem is that you use such a light gauge, with heavy whammy use, so I would suggest moving up a gauge or two, getting it set up properly, so your action is still low. Spending £300 on strings is ridiculous.
Do not listen to the know it all bozos on the internet. Use 8's if you want. Normally if your breaking a lot of strings there is a problem with the bridge. A burr or something causing the string to break. Unless you are just being a knot head and just bending too far then pulling up on the wammy bar then breaking it which is then user error.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Billy Gibbons uses 8's, Page uses 8's. Are you guys claiming they are pussies?
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
yes.

Real men play 13-56. IN F#
(C Standard/Drop Bb/Bb standard actually :P)
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by dazzlepecs
I would buy a set this expensive. I snap so many strings (8s) during recording with whammy vibrato, that its starting to give my playing a timorous inhibited edge which I dont like. Snapping a string at the end of a "gem" take is traumatic

Surely theres some amazing ferrous composite out there designed by NASA or something

Who the hell uses 8's anymore?

Kirk Hammett uses plain 16's for his G strings while in standard Eb flat which leads me to believe he's using 11-49's at least.

I had an FR-equipped guitar once that had 10's and they high E and B strings snapped a lot. What will an FR do to 8's? Snap them even faster.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
Totally a guitar problem, not a string problem. My .008s are solid as hell.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
.008s? I didn't realise people actually used those. I thought they'd been made for shits and giggles.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
I'm sorry, I didn't even realize how much of an asshole I was being. Forgive me, UG.
To wrap this up. It's your bridge or tuners, not the strings. If you keep breaking, move up to 9's. It's not a big deal, not to mention will give better tones.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
My buddy plays a Gibson SG that had a neck fracture. When he got it fixed (brilliant job BTW) the luthier told him to only use 8s because there is no truss rod. He breaks them all the ****in time! Drives me nuts.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
Hmm it might be the bridge, the floyd is flat but will have a closer look at the blocks for burring

Also, I dont know how anyone can play with heavier strings... The most expressive vibrato guitarists in the world (Yngwie, Uli) use 8s
Ha, that'd make me broke in an instant at the rate at which my strings rust.
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
Well bass strings are like $50 per pack. I never restring my bass, except maybe once a year, or if it breaks, because they're so damn expensive.

EDIT: Or at least the ones I can get, as I live way out in the far far suburbs of my city. So driving to GC would equate to the same price as the ones here, looking at gas prices these days.
Last edited by LostKeys at Sep 2, 2011,
Quote by DSOTM80
Billy Gibbons uses 8's, Page uses 8's. Are you guys claiming they are pussies?

Gibbons started using 0.08s after BB King recommended it to him. Needless to say if BB King told me to do anything (guitar related) I'd do it.

If 0.08s are good enough for the King, they're good enough for us mere mortals.

TS - your guitar is being mean to your strings and you need to sort it out.

Also $50 strings?! I use pure nickel hand wound roundcore strings that are hand polished and imported from Germany. They cost <£10 a pack which is what $15 in your crazy green money.
Last edited by Duv at Sep 2, 2011,
Quote by phayzze
Simple. Quit using 8s and move up to 10s. Problem solved.

Unless, like others said you have something wrong with your bridge, but I'm betting that they're just too thin

This!

I will happily sell you strings for anything over $10/set. Name your price!
Maybe Ernie Ball titanium? they are supposed to last longer and resist more, aren't they? But check your bridge, anyway.
"Terrible wars have been fought where millions have died for one idea, freedom. And it seems that something that means so much to so many people would be worth having." -Andrew Martin (Bicentennial Man)
will check out recommended string brands

Quote by LostKeys
Well bass strings are like $50 per pack. I never restring my bass, except maybe once a year, or if it breaks, because they're so damn expensive.

EDIT: Or at least the ones I can get, as I live way out in the far far suburbs of my city. So driving to GC would equate to the same price as the ones here, looking at gas prices these days.

look on ebay, I can buy 5-string packs for like $15 (seriously). Im no bassist though so maybe they are shoelaces or something
You guys lucky. No matter how high the Aus dollar gets, basic packs of strings here are about $14. ****ing Elixirs, which I use for my acoustic, are $35 a packet. I buy them off musicians friend now, but back before I found MF it was killing me.