Hey guys,

I'm considering getting a tube head instead of a combo, and I'd like some help. First, though:

Budget: Currently £450, but my birthday's coming up, and I'm still saving so more than that, but I'd like to stay under £600 if possible

Genres: Lot of Metallica, and I've been getting into Bodom lately too. As well as this, I'm working through Rockschool which has a lot of different genres, so I'd like something versatile. Good distortion, and cleans are a bonus.

New or Used: I'd really like to go new, I have a mistrust of Ebay after past experiences, but Gumtree Belfast would be possible if I can see the gear first.

Home or Gig: Home and band practice. Possibly talent shows and the like in school too.

Closest City: Belfast, NI

Current Gear: Microcube and a crappy Ibanez with shit pups. Upgrading the guitar next, but the amp's more important.

I'd ideally want less than 50 watts, but I am playing with a drummer, so not too quiet. Then, two channels or more, effects loop, the usual stuff.

Also, can I get some ideas on nice 2x12 cabs?

Thanks
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Laney GH50L.

As for cabs, look into the Framus 212, Orange PPC212, or perhaps the Harley Benton G212 Vintage.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
A peavey 5150/6505 tube combo amp is 60 watt but its amazing for metal!!!
and its in your price range used
My Gear
Peavey Ultra Plus
Ibanez RGA42FM with EMG 81/85 with 18 volt mod
Marshall Valvestate VS102R
Ibanez TS9
Schecter C1FR
MXR M-109 EQ
Quote by Raijouta
Laney GH50L.

As for cabs, look into the Framus 212, Orange PPC212, or perhaps the Harley Benton G212 Vintage.

This.
Theres also a vh100r kicking around ebay in your budget. Honestly it wont be THAT much louder then the 50 watter but the vhs have more versitility with the extra clean channel
with tube amps you could keep up with a drummer with as little as 1 watt if you have to. not to say that one watt could sound great but it is possible. I would recomend an egnater rebel 20 or 30 depending on if you want 2 channels or not and if you have a distortion pedal to get the metal high distortion that these amps dont quite come equiped with. other than those i would recomend either a blackstar ht 20 or a orange tiny terror (the tiny terror is better quality but is also a bit more expensive).
Quote by Raijouta
Laney GH50L.

Quote by coolstoryangus
This.
Theres also a vh100r kicking around ebay in your budget. Honestly it wont be THAT much louder then the 50 watter but the vhs have more versitility with the extra clean channel

pretty much these
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I had a look at the Laney, and it seems good for what I want, but no prospect of trying. My teacher offered to sell me a Carvin of some description (I believe he said Legacy, but I can't remember) for £300, what about that? I know nothing about Carvin.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
The head?
300 is a great deal for that
Dunno how full on metal it'd go but maybe if you get a boost. And well thats a good deal i'd jump on it..
Quote by coolstoryangus
The head?
300 is a great deal for that
Dunno how full on metal it'd go but maybe if you get a boost. And well thats a good deal i'd jump on it..

I've no idea, I just found the ad he put on Gumtree (for £400) and all it says is it's 100 watts. If it's the head then I have money for a cab, and if it's a combo well that's OK too.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
^ Love the look of that, actually.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
The Carvin Legacy is Steve Vai's amp.
Also for laneys i'd recommend the new Laney Ironheart it's 60 and 120 watts. I tried one today and was very impressed. Check it out.
Quote by lfcagger
^ Love the look of that, actually.

if you mean the blackstar..

check out rob chapman's demo/review of it on youtube.. full in depth look/listen to the tones and options..
Quote by lfcagger
I've no idea, I just found the ad he put on Gumtree (for £400) and all it says is it's 100 watts. If it's the head then I have money for a cab, and if it's a combo well that's OK too.

for 300 i would grab it mate.
Even if you dont get on with it, worse case scenario is you could resell it for a small profit. It is a good amp.
Quote by coolstoryangus
for 300 i would grab it mate.
Even if you dont get on with it, worse case scenario is you could resell it for a small profit. It is a good amp.

Well, I'll be trying it next week. I'll probably get it.

So, that leaves me with £150 for a cab if it's a head. I'd probably get a piece of shit for that price so I could hold on till my birthday, which is the very start of October, and I'll have more then. Any other nice 2x12s or even 4x12s?

Of course, if it's a combo, I'm set.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
You can pick up the harly benton vintage 2x12 with v30s for around that obviously the cab isnt the greatest but it has good speakers so will sound fine.

Obviously if you save till you have like 300-350 you could get like orange, zilla, engl, etc used and you'd get a marked improvement.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
You can pick up the harly benton vintage 2x12 with v30s for around that obviously the cab isnt the greatest but it has good speakers so will sound fine.

Obviously if you save till you have like 300-350 you could get like orange, zilla, engl, etc used and you'd get a marked improvement.

Or I could see if he'd throw in a cab.

I'd prefer to save and get a good one, but I'm not that knowledgable about cabs or anything, so I'm only going on your advice.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
The legacy cab has v30s so i'm just going on that really.

The cab market is quite shaky but you can get some good stuff used once you save 300 quid.