So I'm a guitarist but I've dabbled in the ways of bass before and although I havn't played a lot of basses, the ones I have played all feel the same. There wasn't any noticable qaulity differences like I feel with guitars. Do all basses really feel the same or have I just not played enough?
you haven't played the right one yet
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
Not played enough. I get exactly the same with Electric Guitars. But EVERY bass to me feels and sounds completely different. Its just cos you're not totally used to the feel, sound and tone of the Bass yet. It'll come in time.
Birmigham City Football Club

I PLAY BASS

"If Bruce Willis pissed in a can and then put it in the freezer, It would become Red Bull."

Monkey Stubble
Picking is a huge thing too. If you grab a bass, and start slamming around with a pick on it, chances are you won't find a huge difference, however, if you take time to learn the ways of the bass, you will feel the difference instantly.
I was messin' around with an Alembic a couple years ago DAMMMMNNNNN!!! 100 time better then the Peavey bass I have!! Was so Sweet! Just can't afford anything like that!
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Wah
JamMan looper delay

I'll bet that when you started out on guitar, you felt the same, at least to some extent. To be honest, it's the same with anything - bass, guitar, car, flat, etc etc - when you're new to it, you're overwhelmed by the novelty, but once you have experience, you can pick out the subtle (and not so subtle) differences.

It's pretty much what JTNorquay said - if (for example) you are a guitarist who occasionally fills in on bass duties, you could literally use any bass, slam it for an hour and a half (or whatever), and do the same thing over and over with different basses. It'll give the basic sound, and that's all you need. If you decide to progress with it properly, you'll soon pick up on what you like/dislike etc.

For the record, I can't really tell the difference between my crappy power tele, and my brother in law's PRS custom. His cost over 10 times mine, but as I'm not a guitarist, they do the same job (i.e. noodling about like a 12 year old).
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
I have noticed that the longer you play a certain instrument and the more comfortable you become with it, the more you will notice the differences between say a $500 instrument and a $1500 instrument. The differences can be small, but they can make all the difference in the world to a very skilled musician who plays highly technical or difficult songs.
If you start picking up some higher end basses on a quality rig, you'll definitely notice.

34" vs 35" scale basses feel pretty different. Neck through (more sustain) vs bolt on. String differences (steel vs nickel, etc) are pretty significannt on bass too.

These basses have distinctly different flavors and feels to them: Peavey Cirrus, Warwick (the real ones- Thumb, etc), Musicman Stingray.
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Sep 6, 2011,
I had only played p-bass for two years,and I picked up a cheap j bass knockoff and tell the difference intsantly(rough finish etc) you just get a feel for it.
Give a man a fish and he'll be hungry tomorrow,but put his ass in fishnets and someone will buy him dinner-Gene Simmons