I don't know much about guitar pedals, but I play through a direct port to speakers with no amp with a clean channel and whatnot. I have a multi-effect, but I need to buy some stompboxes. My question is, what pedal do I need to buy that creates a normal clean sound with no effects since I have no amp channels? and what are some other necessary pedals, like EQ, chorus, etc. Thanks.
I like to eat marshmallows
What is your budget? There are a ton of different options.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
considering your current setup pedals won't really be a good option for you. if you already have a multi-fx unit that is about as good as it gets without an amp. maybe a better MFX but actual pedals won't really be much good.
I have a pretty small budget, but I just need to know what the type of pedal is that I need. Maybe a chorus pedal?
My Multi-effects pedal has a bad short in the power cord and I can't find anywhere to buy a new one. I would like to build a stompbox collection slowly, but if I need a MFX, then is there anything you would suggest between $100-$150? The cheaper the better. I'm 15 and don't have a job.
Quote by Rainbow_Man
My Multi-effects pedal has a bad short in the power cord and I can't find anywhere to buy a new one. I would like to build a stompbox collection slowly, but if I need a MFX, then is there anything you would suggest between $100-$150? The cheaper the better. I'm 15 and don't have a job.

honestly before you worry about pedals you need to start saving for a decent amp. pedals are designed to be used with amps. as for MFX units well i'm not the best guy to ask but for your money i'd look into a Deltalab unit. i played around with one when they came out and it seemed like a decent unit for cheap.
corona chorus
aqua puss delay
reverb pedal can add to clean channel

for amplike sounds
ocd on low gain, sometimes i think the Plimsoul is better
lovepedal superlead pretty good also

last i heard for mfx they were recommending rp355 or line6 hd300
Last edited by Hunter44 at Sep 2, 2011,
Quote by monwobobbo
honestly before you worry about pedals you need to start saving for a decent amp. pedals are designed to be used with amps. as for MFX units well i'm not the best guy to ask but for your money i'd look into a Deltalab unit. i played around with one when they came out and it seemed like a decent unit for cheap.
I'm getting a Fender Halfstack soon, for free. I play at church through a direct port, and that's what I need pedals for.
What do you guys think about the Boss ME-25? It looks amazing to me. but I'm not sure about playing with it live.
You only "think" you need pedals. You cant generalize them and you're going to waste your money. Learn your multi fx and save up for a couple of years.
Quote by Rainbow_Man
What do you guys think about the Boss ME-25? It looks amazing to me. but I'm not sure about playing with it live.

they're ok for what they are. if you are talking about going directly into a PA at your church then it can work. wouldn't be my first choice (a Line 6 POD would be better but way out of your price range).
Quote by 667
You only "think" you need pedals. You cant generalize them and you're going to waste your money. Learn your multi fx and save up for a couple of years.
you're right, I wouldn't need pedals if my multi effect worked. It's going to bite the dust pretty soon and It shorts randomly while I'm on stage making a loud popping sound. Which is not good.
I'd be looking at the digitech rp355. You can hook it up to the pa system at your church via Xlr outputs on the unit. If you go to my profile, all those clips are from my rp355. Listen to rp355 demo #2 first, it's my best recording.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
TS, what others are trying to point out is, if you are playing without an amp, individual stompboxes are going to sound pretty terrible. You rarely, if ever, run a stompbox directly into a PA.
You should definitely consider looking at some of the nice MFX units suggested by others in this thread, they would continue to serve you well even if/when you get an amp at a later stage. Take note of settings and sounds you like on the MFX, then use that as a guide when you get a source of income to start collecting pedals.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Save up for a Line 6 POD HD300. If that's not possible, you need an actual amp. I'm not sure about the Vypyr 15, but the Peavey Vypyr 30 definitely has options for you to run direct to a PA from the amp.

And please understand before you go out buying stuff: you WILL sound like shit trying to generate your tone via pedals and a PA. You need a preamp, which a good MFX or an actual amp can give you.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Get a Line 6 Spider.

u can leik get an amp but also get leik all teh effects u need 2 b a real r0ck3r.