Hi guys it's me again with an amp question. I've gotten some cash built up and I've decided to get a new amp. I will be using it for gigging. I don't care whether it's a head and cab or a combo so long as it's loud enough. my budget for a head alone is probably around $500 and $300 for a cab. I live near New york city so there is a good used market available to me. I play an epiphone Jack Casady semi-hollow bass, and i try to strive for a modern kind of tone (mike gordon kind of sound). The only effect I have at the moment is an envelope filter/phaser but I may buy a soundblox tri-wave flanger in the future.

A few of the heads I am looking at are a used GK 1001 RB (tried and liked).
A carvin BX500 (heard of but not tried).
And maybe a Marshall MB 450 (just saw one and it caught my interest).

Does anyone have any experiences with these amps or know of any other amps to look at. Also what are the tonal characteristics of each type of speakers and which cabs should I look at?

Thanks.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Hey man, if you're willing to throw in a little more money, the rig I have is great for pretty much anything I throw at it.

Bag End 115
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1SNNT_enUS386US386&q=bag+end&gs_upl=3366l3502l2l3599l2l1l0l0l0l0l0l0ll0l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1920&bih=947&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15961907795436822672&sa=X&ei=kKlhTu-IB-rn0QGIi4WvCg&ved=0CHEQ8wIwAg

and GK 700rb (Used, you can get them around 300 or 400)
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=gk+700rb&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6294726525346377833&sa=X&ei=xKlhTtCrO-jG0AGw36D1CQ&ved=0CGQQ8wIwAA

That cab is my most prized possession as of now. It literally makes any bass sound good. Theres a story that goes along with why I bought it but thats for another time. The guys at Bag End just to spectacular stuff.

And the 700rb head, I've had since I played thrash/death metal in middle and high school and now use it for my reggae, funk, and jazz gigs. It might help to purchase an EQ pedal (Boss Bass EQ) to really round out your tone though.

If you don't decide to go with this though, but get a head (specifically a rack mounted head) and cab... Set aside 10 bucks to buy a foam mattress, cut a part out to cover the top of your cab so you can put your head on it. The cushion negates the rumbling your can will do, which can cause the circuits inside to be rocked loose.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
thanks.

How does the 700rb compare to the 1001 rb considering that used I could get them for the same price. Also that bag end is interesting. what are the tonal characteristics of 15 inch speakers as opposed to 10s or 12s?
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
I'd personally recommend a Hartke to anyone... brillliant modern sound.
Dunno how it would sound on a Hollow Bass though, but it might be worth trying if you get the chance! =)
Quote by ClemFleaBellamy
I'd personally recommend a Hartke to anyone... brillliant modern sound.
Dunno how it would sound on a Hollow Bass though, but it might be worth trying if you get the chance! =)

Years ago I helped an upright bass player demo a Hartke A100 at the music store I used to manage. It sounded really good! I agree that Hartkes are more modern sounding (especially ones w/ the aluminum cone) but it didn't over-color the upright sound, both of us thought it sounded great.

So, a Hartke might be pretty cut out for your Jack Casady.

Happy amp hunting!