For a lack of a better word.

Basically, I'm one of those people who has minor nervous ticks. I don't twitch or anything like that but it started when I was young and started biting my nails. That evolved to biting the skin under my nails, followed by biting the inside of my mouth, picking the skin off my lips, and most recently, I've made it a habit of scratching my scalp till it bleeds a bit.

I do these as if I'm nervous, even if I have nothing really to be nervous about, although I might be a bit anxious as well.

Anyway, I was thinking about Dave Ghrol and how he seems to ALWAYS be chewing gum when he performs (because he does drugs?), and was wondering whether that could be an alternative to stop myself from biting, itching, picking, etc.

I read somewhere that gum chewing relieves stress.

What y'all think?
I chew gum all the time.

Helps with the ladies and such.
i don't know why i feel so dry
i actually know exactly how you feel, i always bit my nails/skin and such. only last week i was biting my lips so hard it was bleeding cuz of this important appointment i had. I doubt gum would be a suitable replacement personally just cuz the feeling i get from biting nails/skin is considerably different and probs a lot more satisfying than chewing gum. But thats just me, you could be different. Personally, i woildnt be too keen on the laxative effects of chewing gum either
Quote by K Reyn
I quit smoking 3 weeks ago

good job
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

TS, you're a ****ing genius.

I've had the same problem, I even went through the same exact phases as you, except I haven't started scratching my scalp.

I never thought of chewing gum to help. That's a good idea.
im a twitchy kid to, i tap my fingers and my hands and my feet and drum on tables in class, gum helps ALOT
Music is a universal language and it need not be translated, with it soul speaks to soul.
Quote by logan97
im a twitchy kid to, i tap my fingers and my hands and my feet and drum on tables in class, gum helps ALOT

Aye, I fidget with legs quite a bit too. Gotta try this out.
maybe some meds are in order. I had a roommate in college with tourettes syndrome. I always thought it was cursing or yelling out loud but it also includes "ticks" like you mention. He used to chew the inside of his mouth until it was raw, maybe check it out. Just sayin".
I would recommend Trident layers. They're actually pretty good, and 5 hours later, when your jaw is tired, they still got some flavor.

But yeah, when I'm not eating food, I'm chewing gum. Helps me study, helps me relax, hell, even helps me fap
Wine is fine but whiskey's quicker!
Quote by logan97

According to Cracked, fidgeting like that helps keep people skinny.

So it might be a good thing.
Quote by metalh3ad88

I was just gonna say the same thing. Supposedly burns 350 extra calories a day.
Quote by metalh3ad88

Explains why I'm so damn skinny

As soon as I sit down anywhere, I'm drumming with my feet.
I have the uttermost gum addiction but it is fine......there is nothing bad about chewing gum...bet than scratching until you bleed.....
I haz gotten gud
Quote by ApatheticMe
I have the uttermost gum addiction but it is fine......there is nothing bad about chewing gum...bet than scratching until you bleed.....

The only thing you have to worry about chewing gum is when you do it on an empty stomach. Your body thinks you are eating food and that it needs to be digested so your stomach releases acids to break it down (this creates that hunger sensation when you chew gum). The mass amounts of acid being released to break down the nonexistent food over a period of time can lead to stomach ulcers. But really who gives a f*ck.

P.S. Thanks for the congrats Oli.
Don't people chew gum to lose weight as well? Fooling the body that it's eating? Not that I need to lose weight, quite the opposite...
Quote by Philip_pepper
picking the skin off my lips, and most recently, I've made it a habit of scratching my scalp till it bleeds a bit.

I didn't know these were problems.

OH GOD WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
I've had a gum addiction for the past 4-5 years. Pack of gum a day most days, cheaper than smoking.

But yeah that 'it burns 350 calories a day' stuff must be bullshit. I'm a fat ****er.

<3
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by Philip_pepper
Don't people chew gum to lose weight as well? Fooling the body that it's eating? Not that I need to lose weight, quite the opposite...

They do, but that doesn't really work because it actually makes you more hungry.