I didn't know where to post this, but I guess I feel a connection to you guys in this section, even if we disagree a lot. I wanted to show this. This totally obliterated anything anyone was doing at the time. Just wanted to worship Randy Rhoads for a while. The intro is all that I wanted to talk about. That is some amazing ass playing for 1980. No one could play like that then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF4XxZLvnHc
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
Last edited by fretmaster13 at Sep 2, 2011,
At first I thought this was one of those spam threads, then I saw it was you :P I'm not very good at recognizing musicians by their style, but its so easy to tell when it's Rhoads playing.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
I know right. He was truly someone from another place. The story goes that Ozzy had auditioned every guitarist in L.A. and then Randy came in late, tuned up, and played a few exercises and Ozzy said he was in. That is truly legendary. I wish he was still alive. I bet if he had seen Yngwie play 2 years after his death, Randy would have shown him up completely, because Randy's music was WAY more complicated. While I love Yngwie, all of his music is basically written with the exact same formula. Randy wrote MODERN classical pieces. All sounded different.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
He was recommended to Ozzy by a magazine/ radio show during an interview after he said he was looking for a guitarist to start his group. Then, like you said he just tuned and didn't really even play and Ozzy later said it was like God coming into his life lol. The day that he died he supposedly told Ozzy that he didn't want to be a rock star anymore and was going to go to UCLA to get his degree in classical guitar.
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Strangely, I'd never heard about the first part of your post.
I'm dreaming right now, but man, it would be so awesome to play with Ozzy instead of Gus G. *sad face*

He and Zakk were just too distorted for my taste. Gus sounds like he plays on 7 or 8 gauge strings with a transistor amp in all of his videos.
Hell, I'll play with anyone, I'ma lonely lonely musician :/
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Same here. There's no one in my small town of 9,000 that plays... There are a few hipster bands, and then there's my dad who plays bluesy... and one guy that teaches guitar and can play classical pretty well, but the songs he's written can't even be considered songs... His main one is called, "Blues in E". That should tell you something. Drummers and bass players are scarce. It's all slightly discouraging. Which is why I'm moving to Portland in a couple of months.

It sucks having so many song ideas, but no one to make it happen. You can only create so much by yourself. You can't play everything alone. :/
I recently moved to NY, so all the musicians I know are in Ohio I live in a tiny tiny tiny town of about 3,000 people, so I have to go 20 miles to the nearest music shop. Not only is it boring, but I have no drive to increase my skill set playing only a couple of hours a day with no one to jam with.

Good luck on your move, Isn't Portland where grunge started?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Nobody could play like that? I beg to differ.

There are countless examples, this is one them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyJRApcaVMI

Honestly, and I'm not trying to be rude or anything but, I've never understood the hype of Randy Rhoads. Maybe I've never seen decent recordings of him? I heard that he used sweep picking in Quiet Riot? That should be more impressive than what the TS linked.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Why is technique the most impressive thing about any player? Who cares about whether Randy sweep picked or not?
Andy
Quote by fretmaster13
This totally obliterated anything anyone was doing at the time. Just wanted to worship Randy Rhoads for a while. The intro is all that I wanted to talk about. That is some amazing ass playing for 1980. No one could play like that then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF4XxZLvnHc

Wel I try not to see things in those terms ( I find the deification of human beings in guitar culture to be pretentious.), but yeah I really enjoy what Randy did on those 1st 2 ozzy albums. Excellent guitar work for any time period, though i wouldn't say it takes anything away from what other guitarists of the period, or earlier were doing.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 3, 2011,
Quote by Flibo
Nobody could play like that? I beg to differ.

There are countless examples, this is one them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyJRApcaVMI

Honestly, and I'm not trying to be rude or anything but, I've never understood the hype of Randy Rhoads. Maybe I've never seen decent recordings of him? I heard that he used sweep picking in Quiet Riot? That should be more impressive than what the TS linked.

I agree with this, mostly. What I've heard from Rhoads, including the first bit of the track you linked, isn't that technically impressive, and most importantly, it isn't musically all that interesting or moving *to me*. IMO, it sounds like a pretty run of the mill shred solo.
Last edited by Keth at Sep 3, 2011,
Quote by griffRG7321
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfVlWNNumkc That's 1983, only 3 years later...

The track you posted didn't do anything for me either, you might have more luck posting in the 80s rock/metal thread forum in Bands and Artists.

That's faster playing, but I wouldn't say it's better playing or better music. And it definitely doesn't in any way diminished what Randy did.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 3, 2011,
Quote by GuitarMunky
That's faster playing, but I wouldn't say it's better playing or better music. And it definitely doesn't in any way diminished what Randy did.

I didn't say it did, yes it's faster and cleaner, and I happen to prefer Malmsteen's vibrato, whammy work and overall style in that video, but I didn't mention that. It was posted to address what the TS said about no one being able to do that in 1980.
I don't mean to take anything away from any of the players mentioned so far in the thread, nor do I want to start an argument, but I feel like I should mention that Allan Holdsworth was playing stuff back then, that purely in terms of technique, was (to my knowledge) without parallel.

His playing on recordings as early as '75 was absolutely mind-boggling, and by the early '80s, he'd reached a level I don't think anybody has equalled (with the possible exception of Shawn Lane years later). Since then, he's just gotten better and better.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
My main point was that Randy Rhoads played like that in 1980. The year, not the "1980s". He could play very fast if he wanted to, but he was more focused on song writing. You also have to remember that he was focused more on classical guitar than the songs he was writing with Ozzy, and Diary of a Madman came out a year after Blizzard of Ozz. He didn't have much time to get the songs perfect and the songs on that album are still great. Although, I'd have to say that Blizzard had his absolute best songs. Also, no one was playing a neoclassical solo like Revelation before then either. One of his students told a story that during his first lesson Randy asked him who his favorite guitarist was and he said Al Di Meola. Randy then played one of his songs. He could play any style then I'd say.

He could play just about as fast as he wanted, legato or picked, but he just didn't do it because he was characteristically a humble guy. That's how I see it. If he had lived, and he saw Malmsteen come around 2 years later, Randy would have equaled him in terms of technical ability, and surpassed him in songwriting ability. My opinion.

Randy's ending Crazy Train solo lick is insanely fast by the way. Crazy fast actually. He picked every note in the lick too.

Randy also comes in here at 1:18.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuidANkrY-w

There's no way of knowing for sure if he tapped at the beginning or not, it could be hammer ons and pull offs, but if it was tapping, then what he said about EVH being all smoke and mirrors (known for tapping) then he also wasn't the type of guy who liked to show off simply for the glory. Since Randy didn't tap quite as extensively as EVH. Oh Randy was apparently 15 in that video, which would have been 1971. 7 years before Van Halen I came out. Just another fun fact for why Randy is highly regarded.

Flibo, what do you consider sweep picking? He used slight sweeps in Revelation and in the album version of Crazy Train. The way the albums were recorded made it very hard to hear, but he did.

Edit: Okay, the sweep in Crazy Train is actually more of a rake. Do you consider 2 string arpeggios sweeping? He used those all the time. We must remember that "sweeping" is pretty much a strictly guitar word. Arpeggio is the real term. I still only refer to it as arpeggio. "Sweeping" sounds really pretentious.
Last edited by fretmaster13 at Sep 4, 2011,
Do you know what pretentious means? Sweep picking is a technique used in guitar playing. Are you saying alternate picking is also pretentious?

Not to take anything away from Randy, but he was nowhere near the technical ability of Malmsteen. Malmsteen's picking back in the day was unparalleled IMO. It was so smooth and effortless, and his dynamic control was amazing.

Like I said, take it to the bands and artists forum.
Ironically I learned what the word pretentious means from Yngwie. A word that describes him quite well, and I would say it's as much a part of his legacy as his playing.

But yeah he was fast n stuff.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 4, 2011,