Poll: Have recording studios become obsolete?
Poll Options
View poll results: Have recording studios become obsolete?
Yes
8 12%
No
59 88%
Voters: 67.
With all this advanced home recording equipment coming out recently, and with the dominance of free internet downloading, have real recording studios become obsolete?
We already had this thread before, and no. Studios have people who actually know what they're doing.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Quote by mcjosh
We already had this thread before, and no. Studios have people who actually know what they're doing.

That was quite a while ago. Anyway, how can bands/recording studios profit when very few people actually pay for the album when it is released? Also, don't more studios these days have pro tools?
The way I see it, is you can choose to buy your own gear and record your own thing in your bedroom/garage. Or you can buy time and get help from professionals who have more quality gear and know what they are doing. It all depends on what you want.
Quote by Nomack
Next hendrix is like a a sidesplitting triumph of slapstick and scatology, a runaway moneymaker and budding franchise, the worst thing to happen to Kazakhstan since the Mongol hordes, and, a communist.

This is my sig!
Its not just about pro tools. Look at the gear. The microphones, the monitors, the expensive as hell pre-amps. That isn't even the tip of the ice berg.

I doubt there will be a time any time soon when labels stop going to recording studios.
Quote by JohnSmith85
That was quite a while ago. Anyway, how can bands/recording studios profit when very few people actually pay for the album when it is released? Also, don't more studios these days have pro tools?

Doesn't mean you know what you're doing.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Quote by FireHawk
Its not just about pro tools. Look at the gear. The microphones, the monitors, the expensive as hell pre-amps. That isn't even the tip of the ice berg.

I doubt there will be a time any time soon when labels stop going to recording studios.

How can there even be labels anymore? What money is there to be made in albums these days? Who's coming up with all this money for studio time?
Thread that wasn't so long ago...that is relevant to this...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1459947

Quote by JohnSmith85
How can there even be labels anymore? What money is there to be made in albums these days? Who's coming up with all this money for studio time?

As much as they would like you to think, record labels are not going broke. They are part of huge companies.
Last edited by FireHawk at Sep 2, 2011,
Well if you have expertise in music technology and have a few £100,000 to spare then yes.
Quote by FireHawk
Thread that wasn't so long ago...that is relevant to this...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1459947

You know what they say, nothing new under the sun. Threads are doomed to repeat. And that was still about 2 months ago. This is a fresh one, and I'm also asking questions that the other person didn't. What I really want to know is, how can there be labels who pay for studio time when most people download low quality mp3's for free online? Where is the label getting their money?
Not at all, very few bedroom producers can get "professional" sounding results. It's much easier to leave the more technical side of recording to the engineers. producers, and etc. Trying to do it yourself is really difficult if you have no experience or no knowledge regarding mixing, mastering, recording, mic placement, and etc.
Quote by JohnSmith85
You know what they say, nothing new under the sun. Threads are doomed to repeat. And that was still about 2 months ago. This is a fresh one, and I'm also asking questions that the other person didn't. What I really want to know is, how can there be labels who pay for studio time when most people download low quality mp3's for free online? Where is the label getting their money?

Just think of the money alone they make on radio stations. Radio stations have to pay to play music. I can't give you a balance sheet of the company but the people who own these labels know how to generate money or they wouldn't have a job.

Every time music gets played they generate revenue from it.
Quote by FireHawk

As much as they would like you to think, record labels are not going broke. They are part of huge companies.

I am totally confused about the state of the music industry these days. All I hear is doom and gloom stories like all the labels are going down and studios are going to close. No store within 20 miles of where I live even sell CD's anymore. There used to music shops everywhere. I just don't understand who is keeping these studios and labels in business.

Quote by FireHawk
Just think of the money alone they make on radio stations. Radio stations have to pay to play music. I can't give you a balance sheet of the company but the people who own these labels know how to generate money or they wouldn't have a job.

Every time music gets played they generate revenue from it.

I don't know about where you live, but where I live, all I hear are the exact same songs on the radio. None of the stations around here will play anything that is over 3 and a half minutes and doesn't follow the verse/chorus format. It's like, how many more times do they think I need to hear Barely Breathing or Breakfast at Tiffany's?
Last edited by JohnSmith85 at Sep 2, 2011,
Quote by JohnSmith85
I am totally confused about the state of the music industry these days. All I hear is doom and gloom stories like all the labels are going down and studios are going to close. No store within 20 miles of where I live even sell CD's anymore. There used to music shops everywhere. I just don't understand who is keeping these studios and labels in business.

They still get money from merchandise and live concerts. Labels always get cuts from music. When record sales go down they just take more cuts from different things.

They want to make the downloading situation looks as bad as possible to discourage (not that I am saying downloading isn't hurting them because it definitively is).

Quote by JohnSmith85

I don't know about where you live, but where I live, all I hear are the exact same songs on the radio. None of the stations around here will play anything that is over 3 and a half minutes and doesn't follow the verse/chorus format. It's like, how many more times do they think I need to hear Barely Breathing or Breakfast at Tiffany's?

Yes true, but thinking of the tons of radio stations in each area of the world. And each play generates revenue.

3.5 minutes diveded by 60 minutes in an hour = roughly 9.23 sounds an hour now take out radio adds and thats still what 5-6 songs and hour multipled by 24 for 120-144 song plays (not including no commercial blocks) a day.

My math maybe a bit off, but you get idea.
Quote by FireHawk
They still get money from merchandise and live concerts. Labels always get cuts from music. When record sales go down they just take more cuts from different things.

They want to make the downloading situation looks as bad as possible to discourage (not that I am saying downloading isn't hurting them because it definitively is).

Yes true, but thinking of the tons of radio stations in each area of the world. And each play generates revenue.

Are there even radio stations out there that will play bands like Dream Theater or Opeth? My local radio doesn't even have a rock station anymore. It turned into a country station last year. So there's top 40, country and hip hop and those are pretty much the only choices here. I'm also not necessarily talking about major labels like Warner Bros. but some of the smaller labels too.
They are for the reason that fewer bands need to record in studios -- namely "bigger" bands -- and that the music industry itself is changing (with file sharing, etc.) so it's less profitable for the studio. However smaller studios aren't by any means going obsolete, just the mid-level ones I believe.
No. Studios are sound controlled and equipped with professional mics and iso booths. They've also got full Pro Tools HD racks, boards, and multi-field speakers. All of which are necessities for a clean, dry recording and a proper mix.

Internet downloading may have decreased revenue for both the clients and studios, but the physical necessity is still there.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Next Hendrix
The way I see it, is you can choose to buy your own gear and record your own thing in your bedroom/garage. Or you can buy time and get help from professionals who have more quality gear and know what they are doing. It all depends on what you want.

Yea, you can choose to buy all the necessities yourself if you have hundreds of thousands of dollars lying around. Hint: an audio interface hooked up to your laptop and a $300 noise-canceling headphones aren't good enough.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
So, say the average Joe's band wanted to make an album, what would they do? What label would hire them? I know bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers and Jonas Brothers can afford real studios, but how do the majority of unknown bands get this kind of opportunity?
Hmm. They're no longer vital for bands just starting out. However, I don't see pop musicians discontinuing the use of recording studios.
Quote by FireHawk

And just as importantly, the acoustically treated room.
That's the main thing that stops home recordings sounding as good as a studio IMO.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by JohnSmith85
So, say the average Joe's band wanted to make an album, what would they do? What label would hire them? I know bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers and Jonas Brothers can afford real studios, but how do the majority of unknown bands get this kind of opportunity?

You don't have to book a studio through a label. You can go directly to a label and work out an agreement. In some studios you can get a daily block for a couple hundred dollars. Lots of people do that.

Quote by mulefish
And just as importantly, the acoustically treated room.
That's the main thing that stops home recordings sounding as good as a studio IMO.

Yup. I don't care how much software you got on your computer or how expensive your mic was. If your room didn't get renovated for proper sound panel installations, it's not gonna cut it.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Sep 3, 2011,
Quote by JohnSmith85

My band was able to go to a professional studio and produce an 11 song album, and get it printed, for under $5000. What you need to remember is that while larger studios may go out of business for charging too much, there are still many smaller professional studios that are much more cost effective.
But do you think the majority of consumers really care what hi tech gizmos and gadgets were used or the money/time that went into the recording? How can you tell what acoustic specifications were used when you're listening to it with 128 kbps that you downloaded off some filesharing site?
Last edited by JohnSmith85 at Sep 3, 2011,
Quote by JohnSmith85
But do you think the majority of consumers really care what hi tech gizmos and gadgets were used or the money/time that went into the recording? How can you tell what acoustic specifications were used when you're listening to it with 128 kpbs that you downloaded off some filesharing site?

I don't care what gizmos you used either. But I can hear the difference between a true dry recording of a controlled studio environment and the boxed-in reverb crap that is your bedroom. And so can the majority of casual listeners, whether it's at 64 kpbs or lossless. It is a not-quite-pronounced-but-subconsciously-detectable quality that makes the difference between a mastered commercial recording with a professional "sheen" on it and your bedroom/garage mix.

Of course, if you are working in a virtual environment, such as sample/synth sequencing, or DSP's, then you can put out the same professional quality provided that you know how to properly signal route and mix. But for acoustic situations, no way.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by JohnSmith85
Wasn't the new Foo Fighters album recorded in a garage?

You can definitely hear the flaws in the vocals. And the mix as a whole isn't as tight as it could be in the studios. Bass suffers from acoustic imbalance as well. It's a great mix but without a doubt the mixing itself was done in a proper control room with dedicated engineers.

VVVV that too. On top of being able to afford a lot of heavy rugs and panels, they can afford iso booths and expensive analog equipment.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Sep 3, 2011,
Quote by JohnSmith85
Wasn't the new Foo Fighters album recorded in a garage?

I'm 99.999% certain that the garage was acoustically treated, they used equipment that cost more than most people make in a year, and they used an iso booth for the vocals. So they recorded in a garage that was turned into a studio.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
not at all, you crazy boi
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
I wonder if as many people would illegally download if they knew all the money/time that goes into recordings. It's almost sick (in a bad way) how ignorant most people are about this kind of thing. I bet most people who listen to the radio don't even know about any of this.
Quote by JohnSmith85
I wonder if as many people would illegally download if they knew all the money/time that goes into recordings. It's almost sick (in a bad way) how ignorant most people are about this kind of thing. I bet most people who listen to the radio don't even know about any of this.

It wouldn't really make a dent in their perception. I think most people have an abstract idea that putting together an album is expensive and time consuming. But that doesn't change the easy nature of downloading.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
It wouldn't really make a dent in their perception. I think most people have an abstract idea that putting together an album is expensive and time consuming. But that doesn't change the easy nature of downloading.

I bet a lot of people put zero thought into it at all like they just think a band walks into the studio and records the whole thing live in one take, then leaves.
I was told by a studio owner NOT to get into the recording industry because there has been no money for the past 10 years due to home recording. I think he has a good idea of whats up.
Last edited by Ssargentslayer at Sep 3, 2011,
Some of my mp3's are done solely using my MacBook w/ no actual interface other than the headphone jack with a 1/4" adapter. They turned out nice, so to answer your question. Yes.
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
Quote by Ssargentslayer
I was told by a studio owner NOT to get into the recording industry because there has been no money for the past 10 years due to home recording. I think he has a good idea of whats up.

There's always money. People saying there isn't just don't know how to find it.
Ka pu te ruha ka hao te rangatahi.
Quote by JohnSmith85

Most people think with their wallets.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
If you wanna cut a demo sure, go get an interface, some software, decent mics and have fun, however, if you want a quality album then go to a studio. With the studio you get top of the line gear, people who know how to operate it, and acoustically balanced spaces. They're nowhere near obsolete because pretty much every album done by any professional band is still done in the studio. Also, keep in mind that despite the fact CD sales are down, the profit margins online are much bigger. CD's usually cost around $15 for 12 tracks give or take, they also have to pay for the case, the disk, the booklet, shipping the CD, etc. Online tracks typically go for 99 cents each but there aren't the costs associated with providing a physical medium for that song so thus greater profits. So yes, studios are still relevant and believe it or not, music is still marketable.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.