Page 1 of 3
Ok, listen up. Some science background first. Sound is produced by waves. There are laws of physics that govern this. Color is made up of light waves at different frequencies. See the coloration?!?!

But wait, it gets weirder.

There are 12 notes in musics, A-G#. In a standard color wheel, there are 12 colors. In music there is a thing called harmony, and certain tones at specific frequencies work well with each other. There are similar rules in matching up colors. ( Complementary colors and stuff )

Im seeing some serious potential for something new.

What are some ways you guys can think this can be applied?

My ideas:

Paint a "rainbow" on a guitar fretboard, with a different color on each fret under each string. This would allow a visual representation of music.

There could be some sort of processor that turns music into color. Imagine some sort of lazer light show that is truly in sync with music because specific frequencies of sound determine specific frequencies of colors.

I dont know of anyone else who has discovered this. I call dibs on patenting it!
All of this complex scientific information is way too much for me to handle at this hour.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by chaos13

Synesthesia is largely misunderstood as a "connection" or "relation," but it's an actual sensory disorder where you would literally see the color blue when you heard a G#, for example. That's also only one type of synesthesia.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
No, not like guitar hero. Imagine if each note is associated with a color, and both the laws of color theory and music theory actually match up quite perfectly.

Ive been searching online for the past few days, and no one really knows much about this. I have seen 3 other people ask this question around the internetz.
Quote by toothless tim
Im seriously thinking of turning my fretboard into an amazing science rainbow.

What if you change tunings, though.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
I miss getting high.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I use multiple guitars. That way I can keep them all in different tunings, and just switch guitars when I need to. Like a professional....
Quote by toothless tim
I use multiple guitars. That way I can keep them all in different tunings, and just switch guitars when I need to. Like a professional....

Are they different colors???
Fucking amateur.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Cool idea, but if you look more into how the music system we use now came to be, you'd see there are many more than 12 different notes, and we've "rounded" certain frequencies so that we can have polytonal music. Again, cool idea, but "12 notes A-G#" isn't a natural thing, is completely synthetic.
HERP DERP MICRO TONAL!!!! dont you see there are more than 12 colors on a color wheel? Of course there are more than 12 colors, as there are more than 12 notes. But you cant play micro tonal notes on guitar unless you are outta tune. This is 'merica, not freaking India.
Quote by toothless tim
HERP DERP MICRO TONAL!!!! dont you see there are more than 12 colors on a color wheel? Of course there are more than 12 colors, as there are more than 12 notes. But you cant play micro tonal notes on guitar unless you are outta tune. This is 'merica, not freaking India.

This 19 tone guitar disagrees with your statements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ7WbmhCsqs
Way to mislead me . I thought there was actually a new scientific discovery in light and sound, not just someone's highdeas.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
but colors don't have octaves do they???
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

NR arguing for the sake of arguing.

The thing is pitch changes according to frequency (Hz) and color changes according to wavelength (nm) so I dunno.
Herp a derpa! DO YOU EVEN UNDERSTAND WHAT IM SAYING?!!!! Tonal Frequencies and Light Frequencies are parallel!!! The specific tones dont matter. You can say there are 1000 tones, but Im saying there is a specific color correlating to each!!

Im only using the 12 notes because that is what the Western World is familiar with and traditional.
I swear my drummer gains an Aura As he plays when we are just sittin round jammin!
Gear:

Guitars
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez MBM2 EMGs
Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez AS93 BLS

Amp
Carvin V3m
Blackheart 4x12 cab

Pedals
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Wah
JamMan looper delay

Quote by toothless tim
Frequency is waves. Both light and sound are made up of waves.

Light and sound aren't even made of the same type of waves.
Quote by toothless tim
Herp a derpa! DO YOU EVEN UNDERSTAND WHAT IM SAYING?!!!! Tonal Frequencies and Light Frequencies are parallel!!! The specific tones dont matter. You can say there are 1000 tones, but Im saying there is a specific color correlating to each!!

Im only using the 12 notes because that is what the Western World is familiar with and traditional.

Harmonics. Not to be confused with harmonicas. Every frequency has harmonics.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Mocking and short sighted responses..... Can't you see the magic in this? Some people are soulless! AhhhH!
Quote by toothless tim
Mocking and short sighted responses..... Can't you see the magic in this? Some people are soulless! AhhhH!

no u bad at science olololol
Quote by NothingRocks
There aren't just 12 notes in music. You're forgetting about music that uses microtonal notes. What about those notes?

There are colours between the colours on the colour wheel, unless you live in a video game from the early 90s.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Sep 3, 2011,
Quote by toothless tim

Totally right! It's magic now!
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Quote by toothless tim

2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1014,2028,4056, Fucking magic man.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by toothless tim

blues makes use of microtones. ain't you ever heard of blue notes?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Jackal58
2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1014,2028,4056, Fucking magic man.

wat

Quote by whalepudding
There are colours between the colours on the colour wheel, unless you live in a video game from the early 90s.

He didn't mention color gradiation in the original post. Not to mention when you play a note you're not going to get a straight up 440hz when you play a standard A. Someone else already mentioned harmonic overtones.
The whole colour between colour thing.. That's implying that there's a pure red and a pure orange, and the colours between them are combinations of the two. In music this isn't so.. Each note is as "pure" as the rest.

It's definitely a cool thought and I'm sure you could find a cool connection between the science of sound and colours, I'm just not sure you've exactly hit the nail on the head with this one.
Guys lay off...the idea would work; it's just blindingly brilliant.
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
If you learn Max/MSP you can program a visual color projection based on the notes played. That itself isn't really anything outstanding though. People have done way cooler things, like controlling music through the movement of water.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Sep 2, 2011,
Quote by KTFM
Interesting, but it would only really work if you designated each note a colour, and then painted every fret of every string their own designated colour, rather than just a rainbow fretboard.

Like every E would be blue, every B green, etc...

sounds like something Design the Skyline would be interested in.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Xiaoxi
If you learn Max/MSP you can program a visual color projection based on the notes played. That itself isn't really anything outstanding though. People have done way cooler things, like getting laid.

Fixed.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Page 1 of 3