I'm looking into expanding my pedal collection, and the style of music I'm playing definitely needs a good delay pedal to go along with it. I'm thinking of playing post-rock and post-metal, like Mogwai, GY!BE, Pelican, Sigur Ros, Agalloch, Isis, Neurosis, etc., and probably messing around with it to make some cool noise unrelated to the genre.

What are some good delay pedals? I know the DD-3 seems to be pretty damn popular, but there's got to be something just as good for less, or something way better for more out there.
I think the DL4 may be a bit more widespread among professionals, but who am I to say, I don't really know.
Where's Waldo?
For a digital delay, not really. You can get analog's pretty cheap, like the Memory Toy. If you've never used delay before, start with something simple like a DD3 or a Memory Toy so you can figure out how to use it and what you want out of it. Then move on to the more complicated ones like the DL4.

There are a tonne of good delay pedals out there, though. Malekko Ekko 616; TC Electronics Flashback, Nova Delay, Nova Repeater; Line 6 DL4, Echo Park; Boss DD series, RE-20; Strymon El Capistan, Timeline; MXR Carbon Copy; EHX Memory Toy, Boy, Man... The list can go on.
Last edited by ACollier at Sep 3, 2011,
If you are looking for a cheaper version of the DD-3, I hear you. It's a ripoff. I did the research a while back and the TC Electronics Nova Repeater does the job really well. They go for about $130.

EDIT: I got my pedals mixed up, my input only applies to the Boss DD-20. But I still recommend spending the $130 on this one. For not being true tone bp, it has remarkable clarity.

However, whatever you do choose, consider tap tempo. Don't know what it is? Well here's a link to help you: http://tinyurl.com/3qmkyhq
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
Last edited by tjbhdeath squad at Sep 3, 2011,
I use a DL-4, and its really cool. The preset function is probably what sets it apart from a lot of lower priced delays, along with the fact that you have so many types to choose from. Its sound quality isn't the BEST, but its rather good.

The TC Electronic Nova Repeater is a pretty good choice as the above guy said.
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
malekko 616 for analog on the cheaper side (used~$100-120)

TC Electronics Nova Delay, i dont have one yet, but when i get the pedal bug again, i am sure i will pick it up. it is sooooo versatile and you can still have the presets, and it sounds good. those are more expensive though. IIRC the price, you can look it up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
For post rock or mainly clean stuff I'd recommend an analog delay such as Malekko Ekko 616, or if you have lots of money a maxon ad999, EHX Memory man, or an empress super delay. Or if you are feeling particularly insane get an actual tape echo device.

Analog repeats are warmer sounding and not as precise [in general]

If you want tap tempo, or precise repeats [think U2 or pink floyd ala run like hell] then you want digital.

TC Nova repeater, or Nova delay, or toneprint delay. Eventide timefactor various rack units if you are rich. On the cheaper side: dd3 is a good choice IMO.

Seriously this question is too wide without at least an idea of budget...
RIP Gooze

cats
Eventide TimeFactor.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Eventide TimeFactor.

Aren't Eventide's teh expensivez?

Or am I just teh ignorantz?
Where's Waldo?
I've got myself a Muza Audio Ambient FD900. I wouldn't say it's the best delay ever, or the best reverb ever, or the best delay and reverb ever.
It has long delay times and some modulation settings and reverse delay and reverse reverb and a looper and I'm generally very happy with it whether I'm using it for shoegaze kind of stuff or to do some silly techno imitations - especially since it only set me back like $90. It could be that I don't know much about delays, but I can't see myself ever replacing it unless it breaks.
the muza is pretty decent on a budget.

TS, i recommend a multi-delay pedal like the TC Electronic Flashback. A shitload of different delay types, a 40 second looper and strum-tap-tempo.
Quote by chadreed32
Aren't Eventide's teh expensivez?

Or am I just teh ignorantz?

You are correct, Eventides are zee expensivez. They probably are the most expensive pedals on the market barring the obscure or booteek OTT pedals.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Brainpolice2
And I happen to own the Eventide TimeFactor. It is quite nice. But yea, it's not the first pedal to suggest to someone on a budget. And without taking the time to explore with it and establish some solid presets, it's not the best for live situations.

As do I.

However TS didn't specify a budget, and typically in my books that's carte blanche to suggest anything... ANYTHING!
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
All of these recs are great, but what are you going to be using these delays for? Short repeats, long repeats? Do you like bright and clear, dark and a little mushy? Trust me, as a big fan of post-rock, it doesn't really matter what sort of delay you get as long as it can accomplish what you want it to.

Once you tell us what you want the delay to do, then we can match you up better. Also, budget.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
danelectro reel echo
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute

Various Effects
To the tell the truth, I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to be using the delays for. My playing style bounces around, and I'd like a pedal that can do all sorts of things, you know? For example, sometimes I play with a violin bow (a la Sigur Ros), so I'd like a pedal that could complement that (and I know reverb is a must for that as well). I play a bit of post-hardcore like At The Drive-In and Beau Navire, and when they use it, it seems to be more like weird noise or post-rock inspired passages. I think almost any pedal could do a Mogwai-Red Sparowes-GY!BE sound...

But, I'd mainly use it for 'post-metal' - Isis and Pelican, or even Agalloch. I'd want something that can do the intro to 'Limbs' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIzoyPfPKO4 and something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zukO1h11hrM

So.... in short, I guess I want a delay pedal that can let me fool around with a bit of all styles, but mainly give me that dark, almost eerie effect behind the notes that adds to the songs atmosphere. I'd just be using it to fool around with and practice on songs.

Also, guitar = PRS SE Custom 24 tuned to Dropped B, sometimes Baritone
Budget = $100ish at the moment, but I'll go to $200+ a bit if it really makes a difference.

Sorry for the long post, thought I may as well be specific =P
I would look at an Empress Vintage Modified SuperDelay. It's expensive, but fantastic. Look it up.
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

If analog: Malekko Ekko
If digital: TC Nova repeater, or tone print

They should be around your budget
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by ragingkitty
As do I.

However TS didn't specify a budget, and typically in my books that's carte blanche to suggest anything... ANYTHING!

correct me if i'm wrong, but can't you use a controller with the timefactor to switch to different presets?
I use a BOSS DD-7, i like it, easy to use Sounds great. Just does the job
Quote by 00_hns_00
correct me if i'm wrong, but can't you use a controller with the timefactor to switch to different presets?

You can, yes.
If you really want a cheap version of the DD-3 to play around with and see how you like it, check out the $35 behringer dd600.

My main delay is an old boss DD-6, but the behringer sounds just as good as the boss digital delay (Since the DD-3 is much like the 6 with fewer long-delay settings)--it's just not something I'm happy to gig with because of behringer pedals' tendency to break down.

I know that's not right on topic with picking a great delay, but I thought I'd throw that out there since you mentioned the DD-3 specifically.
For post rock you absolutely want to start with a digital delay. Boss DD-3/7/20, Boss PS-2/3, Boss RV-3, Line 6 DL4, EarthQuaker Dispatch Master, and the TC Nova Repeater/Delay would be a good, inexpensive place to start.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
For post rock you absolutely want to start with a digital delay. Boss DD-3/7/20, Boss PS-2/3, Boss RV-3, Line 6 DL4, EarthQuaker Dispatch Master, and the TC Nova Repeater/Delay would be a good, inexpensive place to start.

These.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by 00_hns_00

You don't need a separate controller. The on-board switches alone will allow you to switch presets.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )