Good evening.

So I wired up a pickguard for my squier strat containing the pickups from my 2007 MIA standard stratocaster, which I had lying around. Nothing special, just the pups and dimarzio pots/switches. I did this in January and it has worked fine even since.

Today I changed the pickguard that they were mounted on, and the pickup covers, which entailed removing all of the pots and the pickups. After reinstalling everything I'm left with a very strange problem.

My bridge and mid pickups sound perfect, but my neck pickup sound VERY weak. I'm quite experienced with electronics (I'm an engineering student) and guitars, and there are no cold solders to speak of, no ground loops, and every wire is where it should be (not that it wouldn't be because no wires were changed during this process).

Checking the resistances shows 7.5K bridge, 6.0k Mid (both normal) and 243K (WTF!!!) neck. Therefore my question is, what the hell has happened with my neck pickup? Have I damaged the coils in some way, or is the multimeter giving this odd number due to a wiring error in the guitar (keep in mind these resistances were done with the pups still wired into the guitar)?

Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

Hawk
Last edited by hawk5211 at Sep 3, 2011,
Well, you shouldn't have had to unsolder (is that the right word?) any wires if you were just changing the pickguard, but if you did, you may have gotten the wired mixed up?

Thats my only guess, other than that I don't know...
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
Well, you shouldn't have had to unsolder (is that the right word?) any wires if you were just changing the pickguard, but if you did, you may have gotten the wired mixed up?

Thats my only guess, other than that I don't know...

Agreed. As I said, no wires were desoldered to do this.
If you're an engineering student who is experienced with guitars then I doubt you're going to find someone who know better than you what's wrong with your guitar from a description.

You could try just wiring the pickup straight to the output jack, if that doesn't work then you know the pickup is gone (which I suspect it might be with that reading, if you measured in the right place.)

If it works then just do what we always do when we hit a wiring problem: look harder

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
At first I just thought that the pickup would just have been too far from the strings but the electrical thing is mind f'ing me...
Where's Waldo?
Quote by jthm_guitarist
If you're an engineering student who is experienced with guitars then I doubt you're going to find someone who know better than you what's wrong with your guitar from a description.

You could try just wiring the pickup straight to the output jack, if that doesn't work then you know the pickup is gone (which I suspect it might be with that reading, if you measured in the right place.)

If it works then just do what we always do when we hit a wiring problem: look harder

I know thats its hard to diagnose an issue over the internet, but I do think that the circuit is correct. My issue was more with the reading on the pickup. I was leaving a direct connection to the output as a last resort, but I may have to do that...

What would cause a pickup to be "gone"? Have I cut one of the windings somehow? Thanks for the input.

Quote by chadreed32
At first I just thought that the pickup would just have been too far from the strings but the electrical thing is mind f'ing me...

Yeah, the heights are fine, and this kind of difference in signal strength would be impossible to achieve even if you had the bridge pup touching the strings and the neck pickup bottoming out. The neck is REALLY quiet. To the point where there is really no difference between 'middle' and 'neck and middle.'

lol, trust me its messing with my mind as well. I've had wiring issue before, but none that another drink and a few minutes with a continuity tester haven't solved!
Possible that the 5 way just may be semi-broken with the neck position? (If you know what I mean) Or that you pinched the wires or something...
Where's Waldo?
Quote by chadreed32
Possible that the 5 way just may be semi-broken with the neck position? (If you know what I mean) Or that you pinched the wires or something...

Would that lead to a very high resistance reading on that pickup? The switch is passing current fine (as in when the selector is on neck there is clear continuity from the solder on the back of the neck pickup to the output jack), and on further visual inspection, all of the terminals and the switch itself seem fine.
So I fixed the issue. I uncoiled the windings till I found a break. Then I resoldered it and it works fine. Thankfully the break was only about 15 feet in, so the character of the pickup seems pretty much the same.
Last edited by hawk5211 at Sep 3, 2011,