I just bought a pack of dunlop dual design straplocks and the damn screws that came with them were too big for my epiphone so i forced the screws in and this is the maximum that it can go in. Is it alright? what do you guys think? or is it dangerous to leave it like that. They are loose btw

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g4/sakuraeiko/Photo0284.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g4/sakuraeiko/Photo0285.jpg
Last edited by ShiroiShu at Sep 3, 2011,
No way in ****ing hell.

You're supposed to drill a guide hole in there first because Straplocks have longer screws than regular strap buttons.

Take it to a guitar store to get it done properly.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
No way in ****ing hell.

You're supposed to drill a guide hole in there first because Straplocks have longer screws than regular strap buttons.

Take it to a guitar store to get it done properly.

This............
RIP Gooze

cats
yeah my dude drill a hole and then you throw some wood glue in there and then they go in you wont regret doing it right trust me yo
Quote by marshmellow666
yeah my dude drill a hole and then you throw some wood glue in there and then they go in you wont regret doing it right trust me yo

With all respect, if you don't know what you're doing don't **** around with your guitar.

Just take it into a guitar store to get it done properly.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
With all respect, if you don't know what you're doing don't **** around with anything.

Fixed.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
You could just use your original screws. You don't HAVE to use the ones that came with the locks.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Eppicurt
With all respect, if you don't know what you're doing don't **** around with your guitar.

This.

If you have to post on a forum for advice about modifying your guitar, you don't know what you're doing and will probably do more harm than good.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The whole point is that the screws are bigger than the stock screws, so they can get a good solid grip into your guitar body. Absolutely do NOT play your guitar on it's strap as it is, you could very well end up tearing the screws out along with some nice chunks of your guitar body too if you're not careful. As others have said, take them out, take your guitar to a shop and get them put in properly.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
should have got dimarzio clip lock strap. way better than any strap lock imo.
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute

Various Effects
the problem is when you remove the factory strap-peg screw,
it never goes in as tight again.

to add to that, strap locks include longer screws and even if you had put it in
absolutely straight,
without screw hole reinforcement, the overall
end result, probably wouldnt have been as strong as the original strap-peg screw.

ITS HOW IT IS!

ok, this is not the end of the world.

the screw hole is too big, so wood and wood glue need to be added to the hole.

a proper fix would be for a qualified tech or luthier to tap and glue in a wood
peg. let set, sand and finish the viewable area and drill for new hole.

if you take it to a "guitar center" type tech.

they will probably cram wood sticks (matchsticks) and glue into the hole.
they will let it dry. then they will screw the larger screw, straight into
wood and glue. letting it set.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 3, 2011,
It's not rocket science. Take the old screws out, put the new screws in until they are tight. Being that they are longer, it will require some effort to tighten them. You do not have to use wood glue or toothpicks. I have never had a problem with the numerous gibsons, epiphones that I have done this too. DONE. NO PROBLEMS
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by madh4ttr
It's not rocket science. Take the old screws out, put the new screws in until they are tight. Being that they are longer, it will require some effort to tighten them. You do not have to use wood glue or toothpicks. I have never had a problem with the numerous gibsons, epiphones that I have done this too. DONE. NO PROBLEMS

not a good idea.

always add wood and glue to the hole.

it's a tighter and safer grab for the screw.

please tell me what's the disadvantage to doing this?

the reason people buy straplocks is for added strap safety.

digging in the screw again,
eating away more wood, ESPECIALLY after failed attempts and loose fitting
screws is just asking for issues and you're not going to be there to help him
fix his headstock if his guitar comes crashing to the ground.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
not a good idea.

always add wood and glue to the hole.

it's a tighter and safer grab for the screw.

please tell me what's the disadvantage to doing this?

the reason people buy straplocks is for added strap safety.

digging in the screw again,
eating away more wood, ESPECIALLY after failed attempts and loose fitting
screws is just asking for issues and you're not going to be there to help him
fix his headstock if his guitar comes crashing to the ground.

well my straplocks have been in my guitars for more than 5 yrs and 3 yrs and all I did was screw it in. I make sure it is tight everytime I change strings. You dont have to make it harder than it is

btw GO RED SOX
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Last edited by madh4ttr at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by madh4ttr
well my straplocks have been in my guitars for more than 5 yrs and 3 yrs and all I did was screw it in. I make sure it is tight everytime I change strings. You dont have to make it harder than it is

btw GO RED SOX

I'm glad you haven't had problems, but your 2 data points aren't exactly definitive...

TS, ask yourself this, "If it fails later, am I going to regret not taking it to a professional?"
If the answer is yes, your course of action is obvious.

If, OTOH, you want to go for it yourself that's your call, but be aware of the consequences...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I'm glad you haven't had problems, but your 2 data points aren't exactly definitive...

TS, ask yourself this, "If it fails later, am I going to regret not taking it to a professional?"
If the answer is yes, your course of action is obvious.

If, OTOH, you want to go for it yourself that's your call, but be aware of the consequences...

comeon now, take it to a professional to put strap locks on?? you must be kidding. when you put a longer screw in, and you do it correctly, it will hold, simple.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Last edited by madh4ttr at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by Offworld92
You could just use your original screws. You don't HAVE to use the ones that came with the locks.

actually you do because the locks are designed to snap into the screw that it came with, unless your screws happen to be the exact same as those then you need to change them
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by madh4ttr
comeon now, take it to a professional to put strap locks on?? you must be kidding. when you put a longer screw in, and you do it correctly, it will hold, simple.

You have a nice day now...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by rockthehaus
Just take a small nail and a hammer and align the strap locks and hammer away.

hey, at this point, how about you just nail the strap itself to the damn guitar.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by madh4ttr

btw GO RED SOX

i have strings older than that.

listen. you know very well after reading my last post that
adding glue and wood is the correct method, and maintains a stronger hold.

you're like the little piggy building a house of straw when
the bricks are sitting right next to you.
come on bro, who you trying to kid?

next you'll be telling me the sox have great pitching, and haven't been getting their asses handed to them by the rangers this week.
no ones buyin it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
i have strings older than that.

listen. you know very well after reading my last post that
adding glue and wood is the correct method, and maintains a stronger hold.

you're like the little piggy building a house of straw when
the bricks are sitting right next to you.
come on bro, who you trying to kid?

next you'll be telling me the sox have great pitching, and haven't been getting their asses handed to them by the rangers this week.
no ones buyin it.

all I have to say is read the directions on the strap locks

WOW, look at the numbers of the RED SOX/YANKEES series. Whos getting their asses handed to them
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
DUDE!

you either need to cut the screw, or drill out the hole a bit. A monkey could do it...which isnt saying much for hte guy in my local store.

I bought a brand new acoustic and he didnt drill out the guide hole long enough and put a stress fracture in the neck heel part where it attaches to the body. its so small you need a looking glass, so i probably could never argue it.

Fing moron. this is why i work on my guitars myself.

but no, never leave it like that. if you have a dremel tool or a power drill with the correct bit size, its a 5 min fix fo free if you feel ok doing it.
Quote by madh4ttr
all I have to say is read the directions on the strap locks

WOW, look at the numbers of the RED SOX/YANKEES series. Whos getting their asses handed to them

yeah, he needs to fix what was done already to the guitar.
so reading directions is not a help...

and how's the view from back there?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i usually use the stock screws, but modify the heads so they recess properly in a shaller. i haven't added glue but now think i probably should go back at do that.

i live in chicago, so the view is the same from back here as usual.

if you aren't the lead sled dog, the view never changes.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by jj1565
yeah, he needs to fix what was done already to the guitar.
so reading directions is not a help...

and how's the view from back there?

its not bad, its gonna be even better when we meet in the playoffs when we hand your asses to ya again and again and again........
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by madh4ttr
its not bad, its gonna be even better when we meet in the playoffs when we hand your asses to ya again and again and again........

ok well just make sure your guys start trying a little
harder. we'd like to actually get them in the playoffs,
eh.

Greg, umm yeah I just feel bad there, sorry.
that's a sad sad situation.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

You guys are really recommending paying a tech to put in strap locks? Yes, people can screw up their guitars, but I cannot fathom an easier project to begin learning on than putting in a set of strap locks.

1) The holes from the original screws work as perfect pilot holes, so you don't really need to get out a drill bit and do anything.

2) buy a nice screw driver with a big fat handle, and a head that won't file down into a bunch of metal splinters with minimal use. You can use it on any projects in the future and it's going to leave your hands and any maintenance work you do 10x happier than the $2 wal-mart screwdrivers.

3) Just use your muscle to screw the new screws an extra few mm into the guitar body where they are properly fitted and not going anywhere anytime soon. This is very easy to do because of points 1 and 2 above.
Quote by jj1565
Greg, umm yeah I just feel bad there, sorry.
that's a sad sad situation.

you have no idea...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
On a related note, you guys should check out LOXX. They're a new strap lock distributed by Get'm Get'm. Guitar Center is the only place you can find them right now, but they'll be all over soon.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
You guys are really recommending paying a tech to put in strap locks? Yes, people can screw up their guitars, but I cannot fathom an easier project to begin learning on than putting in a set of strap locks.

1) The holes from the original screws work as perfect pilot holes, so you don't really need to get out a drill bit and do anything.

2) buy a nice screw driver with a big fat handle, and a head that won't file down into a bunch of metal splinters with minimal use. You can use it on any projects in the future and it's going to leave your hands and any maintenance work you do 10x happier than the $2 wal-mart screwdrivers.

3) Just use your muscle to screw the new screws an extra few mm into the guitar body where they are properly fitted and not going anywhere anytime soon. This is very easy to do because of points 1 and 2 above.

The problem isn't usually the screwdrivers as much as it is the POS screws that come with straplocks. I've stripped quite a few screw heads.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The main reason you buy strap locks it to ensure that your guitar (the very important expensive piece of equipment) does not fall and get damaged because it is being held up by a very inexpensive strap. So you invest in this protection or extra insurance (i.e. - the strap lock) so at the VERY LEAST you owe it to your guitar and by proxy the original reason you bought the strap locks to get them installed correctly. Cut your losses, take it to a shop and have them correct and properly install them.
Does it suck you have to drop extra money? Yes. Does it make sense to do it and will in the long run probably save your guitar from damage? Yes! Just get it fixed and move on man. Any half-assery on the installation will make the initial purchase meaningless.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by Offworld92
The problem isn't usually the screwdrivers as much as it is the POS screws that come with straplocks. I've stripped quite a few screw heads.

True, though never underestimate the amount of frustration and physical pain that can be spared by just getting a decent screw driver, especially when you're doing something like what I recommended and using it to screw into hard wood that isn't drilled for the entire length of the screw.

Just add this to my list of things to do if he strips the screw: get it out with pliers, take it to the hardware store, buy some nice screws of the same size.

Going to a shop is ridiculous in this case--it shouldn't cost more than $10 to have them installed, but c'mon: any 10 year old with 0 tool experience should be able to work this one out.
I screwed up my H-301 for quite a while because I stripped the screw when it was like halfway into the guitar. Terrible. I did some considerable damage to the guitar trying to get it out But I wasn't too concerned, because I don't ever plan on selling the guitar, and it adds character IMO.

I finally got it out using leverage. I'm not sure exactly what tool I used, unfortunately... either thick, gripped pliers or the back end of a hammer I think. Got a different screw, and it went in nice and tight. Some screws are just duds. Hopefully if you get a bad one, you can take it out without as much trouble as I had though!

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by voltafan485
should have got dimarzio clip lock strap. way better than any strap lock imo.
This.