So as the title says I'm in the hunt for a high gain tube amp. I have been playing through a couple of Crate combos that i run in stereo into a TC G major and a BBE Sonic Maximizer and honestly it doesn't sound to bad, but it just doesn't have that tube feel. I've been looking around and I think I'm pretty much settled on a used Peavey 3120 or XXX. I've played a 3120 at GC a long time ago, but I can't really remember exactly how it sounded. I managed to find some videos on youtube with some pretty decent sound, and from what I've heard the XXX sounded pretty good. The 3120 wasn't bad either, but I prefer the 6L6 tone over the EL34. I would definitely love to have one tomorrow, and believe me I'm trying, but I could probably manage to wait awhile. My budget is definitely on the lower range as far as tube amps go, and I will also need a cab, so I will have to figure that into my budget. I'm Hoping that I can save up about $800-900 by about christmas time. I'm in college and gas and other expenses will try to cut into that I'm sure, but I'm trying to be positive. So, some things I'm looking for are 3 channels, hi-gain, effects loop, MASTER VOLUME (sorry for yelling but I hate not having a master volume), a useable clean channel(it doesn't have to be great but I like playing rock, metal, and other genres so a clean channel that I can thrown an OD pedal over for a lower gain tone is a must), and externally switchable. My question to the UG community is: are there any other reasonably priced used tube amps I should check out?
If you're willing to go used look into a Carvin V3 and a nice 2x12 cab (or just get the combo version). Gotta warn you though that this amp has A LOT of lower mids - great sounding amp, but its not everyone's cup of tea.
Location?
New/used?
Do you "need" a halfstack?
Michael Kelly Patriot limited
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
A used JSX, XXX or Ultra is what you want.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
a) please use paragraphs.
b) I'd recommend a combo over a head; unless the amp you choose only comes in head format
c) What music do you play. High gain does not help, nor does saying 'rock' and 'metal'. List some bands, youtube clips won't hurt either.
RIP Gooze

cats
Or get s really clean amp with a ton of pedals like what I do now. Do much better!!

Are you playing live?
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
Quote by MaVN
Or get s really clean amp with a ton of pedals like what I do now. Do much better!!

I disagree. Especially for metal and for TS's price range
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Cathbard
A used JSX, XXX or Ultra is what you want.

+1 Forgot about the JSX being 3 channels. Great sounding amp and very, very versatile.
Wall of text crits you for over 9000.

Seriously - PARARAPHS.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Sorry for the lack of paragraphs.

Preferably used I feel like I could get more for my money, also I doubt I will have enough for a new amp, and I would really prefer a stack. I feel like they just have more of the low end punch. As for music I like Killswitch Engage, Dream Theater, Alter Bridge, Sick Puppies, All That Remains, Bullet for My Valentine, Breaking Benjamin, Animals as Leaders, Periphery, Chevelle, Incubus, Lamb of God, Limp Bizkit, P.O.D., Protest the Hero, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Shinedown, Slipknot, Staind, Stone Sour.

Hope that helps.
and thanks for the lightning fast replies guys.
Quote by mulefish
I disagree. Especially for metal and for TS's price range

I don't play metal... So I guess I wouldn't know. I don't get/hate metal core, hardcore. Anything with screaming/growling.
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
Quote by ibanez350mdx
Sorry for the lack of paragraphs.

Preferably used I feel like I could get more for my money, also I doubt I will have enough for a new amp, and I would really prefer a stack. I feel like they just have more of the low end punch. As for music I like Killswitch Engage, Dream Theater, Alter Bridge, Sick Puppies, All That Remains, Bullet for My Valentine, Breaking Benjamin, Animals as Leaders, Periphery, Chevelle, Incubus, Lamb of God, Limp Bizkit, P.O.D., Protest the Hero, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Shinedown, Slipknot, Staind, Stone Sour.

Hope that helps.
and thanks for the lightning fast replies guys.

Can you narrow it down a bit? That's about 20 different amps right there and you'd be hard pressed to get all of those tones out of a single amp unless you're using something like an Axe-FX.
lol... yeah I guess it is. I really love the Triple Rectifier tone so something that can get me close to that would be great, and as I said I would like 3 channels with a clean that I can dirty up with an OD for the lower gain sounds. The emphasis is definitely on the Killswitch/Breaking Benjamin tone.
You're not going to be able to nail all that, or even KSE OR BB in your price range, but check out the Peavey 3120. I feel that that amp would hit closest to home for you, covering the most of what you need.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
+1 for the 3120.

Though a noise gate will be an absolute necessity with this amp. (Unfamiliar with the G Major but I assume it has one in it?)
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by i_am_metalhead
If you're willing to go used look into a Carvin V3 and a nice 2x12 cab (or just get the combo version). Gotta warn you though that this amp has A LOT of lower mids - great sounding amp, but its not everyone's cup of tea.

I just looked up the V3 and it looks promising, but I would need to play one first.
Not certain, but can't you get a used dual rec in that price range? Or at least a single rec?

I agree with Cathbard other than that.
+1 for the 3120.

Though a noise gate will be an absolute necessity with this amp. (Unfamiliar with the G Major but I assume it has one in it?)
It does.
RIP Gooze

cats
Then you're all good
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by mulefish
Not certain, but can't you get a used dual rec in that price range? Or at least a single rec?

I agree with Cathbard other than that.

It does.

Most every used Mesa I've seen has been $1000+ not including a cabinet.
If you can afford a Dual Rec why are we having this discussion? Buy one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I think he's saying he can't.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Without reading this entire thread, I'll just pop in and say that tubes aren't the be-all end-all of amplifiers.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Without reading this entire thread, I'll just pop in and say that tubes aren't the be-all end-all of amplifiers.

And what SS amp are you going to put up against a Dual Rec?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
And what SS amp are you going to put up against a Dual Rec?

The only SS that I could think that would stand a chance would be the VH-140 or the SS-150. =/
Quote by i_am_metalhead
The only SS that I could think that would stand a chance would be the VH-140 or the SS-150. =/

And they are hardly competition for a Dual Rec or a 5150. By comparison they are a dry lifeless piece of crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
And they are hardly competition for a Dual Rec or a 5150. By comparison they are a dry lifeless piece of crap.

Nah, I'd take a VH-140 over a 5150 any day. In fact, I'd BUY a VH-140 over a FREE 5150 any day.

Dual Recs aren't my favorite amp Mesa has to offer, but they are much better sounding than a VH-140.
Whereas I wouldn't use a VH-140 as a doorstop. I've never been tempted to buy a 5150 myself but if I had one I'd probably use it at times. If somebody gave me a VH-140, it would be on Ebay within the hour.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My Mesa rectoverb $750 plus shipping
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Sep 3, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
Whereas I wouldn't use a VH-140 as a doorstop. I've never been tempted to buy a 5150 myself but if I had one I'd probably use it at times. If somebody gave me a VH-140, it would be on Ebay within the hour.

To each his own man.