so one of the bands im in is a 5 piece. standard rock outfit, drummer, bassist, lead, rhythm, singer.

we have some sweet material down, and are ready to start playing shows. but all of a sudden: singer is out. then rhythm and drummer have no motivation!

then bassist and i(lead) get word that drummer and rhythm are writing stuff. we assume its for the band--its not. drummer is also a guitar player and hes writing guitar parts on tabs for songs ive never seen.

the primary band hasnt even gotten off the ground! they already wanna do side writing??

bassist and i can find comitted replacements. do we do it?
Guitars:
FENDER Sugar Rush, Scala-Caster Strat
KRAMER Striker600ST (from 86)

Amps:
MARSHALL Haze 40

Pedals:
Rocktron Banshee 2 Talkbox
Boss MD2
Crybaby
Visual Sound Tremolo
FAB Chorus
Quote by supersize
so one of the bands im in is a 5 piece. standard rock outfit, drummer, bassist, lead, rhythm, singer.

we have some sweet material down, and are ready to start playing shows. but all of a sudden: singer is out. then rhythm and drummer have no motivation!

then bassist and i(lead) get word that drummer and rhythm are writing stuff. we assume its for the band--its not. drummer is also a guitar player and hes writing guitar parts on tabs for songs ive never seen.

the primary band hasnt even gotten off the ground! they already wanna do side writing??

bassist and i can find comitted replacements. do we do it?

Lol at "primary band". Firstly, if it doesn't affect the band, it's no problem of yours. Secondly, you don't have a singer. I'd say the "primary band" is pretty much dead in the water. I wouldn't be too worried about "dumping em", the band is about to break up.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
oops i meant to imply that we would be bringing in a new singer. my bad
Guitars:

Amps:
MARSHALL Haze 40

Pedals:
Boss MD2
Crybaby
Visual Sound Tremolo
FAB Chorus
Quote by supersize
oops i meant to imply that we would be bringing in a new singer. my bad

You can understand it'll take some time to get the new guy up to scratch, the others are probably just "over it".
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
It sounds like *they* have dumped *you.*

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by supersize
so one of the bands im in is a 5 piece.

This is strange. You mention that this is "one of" the bands that you are in, but you're upset that the other guys also want to be in more than one band? Hypocrite much?

If you like playing with people, I wouldn't even think about replacing them unless what they're doing is getting in the way of what you're trying to do with this band. It's only an issue if they have to pick between bands and start picking the other band when it comes to rehearsal or performance stuff. (But even still, you should make an effort to accommodate their schedules the same way you'd accommodate any other free-time activity they might do.)

But it also sounds like you guys need to get together and talk about your goals for this band. You might not all be on the same page.
Quote by HotspurJr
what they're doing is getting in the way of what you're trying to do with this band.

THATS whats going on. but i guess thats what i get for posting while half asleep. my "other bands" are like jazz outfits and stuff, cover groups. this is the band i have most of my material in, its solid, and awesome. so i wanna just let them go and do their own thing if theres zero commitment at all. i dont want them to feel obligated to "stay"

but theres no new riffs, no practices, nothing.

the bassist and I have musicians ready to learn the material and wanna get going. theyre motivated and have goals. it just seems like the best option to let them go pn their way cuz theyre hindering progress
Guitars:

Amps:
MARSHALL Haze 40

Pedals:
Boss MD2
Crybaby
Visual Sound Tremolo
FAB Chorus
Why not sit down and have a conversation and discuss goals?

Don't make assumptions about their level of interest and commitment. Talk to them. Because if you just say, "you guys are out," then you're an a-hole and you've destroyed the friendship and a possible future working relationship. But if you guys get together and talk about your goals, you can all part friends and who knows if you'll circle back together later.
I'd definitely get a meeting with the band like the others are saying. You have to talk about your goals and see if they are committed if you tell them what you want and what you can see in the future if you practice and get off the ground. Then again, if you haven't played shows with your band then no one knows you and *now* is no different then when you first started if *no one knows about you*
Fender Deluxe 72' Telecaster w/ SD SH-4 JB
humbucker in the bridge position running through....
--
Crate FlexWave 120H
Marshall 1960A 4x12
Boss TU-3
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
BBE Green Screamer
MXR m109 6-band EQ
MXR m135 Smart Gate
Yeah, talk about it. Go buy some beers and relax in the sun while you figure it out. If you've all got different goals, then it's time to move on.
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler