I play a MIM Classic Series '70s Fender Stratocaster. I totally love it,I think it's a solid guitar and I don't let the fact that it's Mexican-made give me an inferiority complex. When cost is not an issue for me somewhere down the road, I would like to try an American-made Fender Strat (I'm interested in the American Vintage series, possibly another '70s reissue) before buying it. Reading reviews of '70s reissues, reviewers praise the modern reissues and claim they're superior to the strats of that time (the infamous CBS era.)

I'd also like to ask about the finishes, both the MIM and MIA have polyester finishes according to the Fender website. Now I also read that the guitars of the '70s also had a polyester finish but I thought polyester finishes don't fade. Look up a vintage olympic white '70s strat/tele and you'll see that they have a faded yellowish look.
Last edited by GuitaristDog87 at Sep 3, 2011,
^reported
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
I heard vintage guitars sound better because they age more, although this might just be a load of crap.
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
I heard vintage guitars sound better because they age more, although this might just be a load of crap.

i wouldn't really say "better". through age the sound starts to change in a way that many people including myself find desirable, but really it's a matter of preference.

that applies to a '70s model vs a reissue, too - it's all down to preference. i'm not sure if the MIMs will be up to the same standard of quality but with the MIAs it's probably not far off.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Well iirc the 70s fenders were never particularly desirable ( except maybe a few Tele versions ) but as the price of 60s strats has rocketed, 70s Fenders are now becoming desirable so it could actually become a bit of a small growth investment

IF you find a good one, it will probably be on par with the better 70s reissues they make at the moment, if you find a lemon it doesnt matter how old it is.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
^^ It's funny but Tom 1.0 raises a good point. 70's Fenders were berated a lot! The dreaded 3 bolt neck, the" CBS has ruined Fender" POV etc. Now they are suddenly classics?
To each their own, I'm sure there were good ones made back then but it wasn't Fender's best time for sure.
Moving on.....
People hated the SG, Explorer, V, Tele Deluxe, Thinline, Jazzmaster and Jaguars when they first came out. When MIJ guitars started happening they were the budget import models; Ibanez and ESP were considered to be bad, cheap brands.

Now look at them all.
Quote by grohl1987
People hated the SG, Explorer, V, Tele Deluxe, Thinline, Jazzmaster and Jaguars when they first came out. When MIJ guitars started happening they were the budget import models; Ibanez and ESP were considered to be bad, cheap brands.

Now look at them all.

Yeah but all bar the fire bird, those Gibson guitars were all of a very high quality and are embranced by the people who knew how good they are. Original explorers for for 50k +

In the 70s Fender was at driven purely by the need to make money, not quality instruments. Those fenders were made cheap and sold cheap, hence the money saving design changes and reduction in quality. I mean nearly all the "new" fenders from the 70s were mish mashes of older guitars and spare parts chucked together.

When those Jap companies first came out, they were cheap poor quality guitars? Though I dont think ESP have ever being a sub par company since their inception. MIJ was considered sub par purely due to the awful shit they had build in the 60s and early 70s, not to mention a big bt of national racism by America. Come the 1980s all the MIJ brands were facing lawsuits because they were building better instruments that nearly all the American companies.

The only reason 70s fenders price is rising is because of peoples desire to have "old" guitars, meaning the prices are climbing, slowly but surely, they arent the great guitars from the 60s, but made to a profit instruments built by a corporation.

70s fenders as a whole, suck. But like any guitar, find a gem and its a good'n.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Sep 3, 2011,
imo

when they went to the 3 bolt neck things were taking a serious turn for the worse.

imo

imo
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
imo

when they went to the 3 bolt neck things were taking a serious turn for the worse.

imo

imo

Man up and take a stand

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by gregs1020
imo

imo

imo

It's true though, the 3 bolt neck wasn't nearly stable enough.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^

Tom - no.

too many uckfards will try to argue.

i don't argue.

if someone doesn't agree, good for them.
i'm resolved to the fact that people are allowed to be wrong.

i mean, have their "own opinions".

Quote by gregs1020
i'm resolved to the fact that people are allowed to be wrong.

i mean, have their "own opinions".

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Sep 3, 2011,
70s Strats were a total hit or miss thing. the early 70s ones being somewhat better than the later 70s ones. in moden terms think MIM. they also have the old 7.25 radius fingerboards which some (including me) don't care for. the reissues tend to be more consistant quality wise and many have the newer 9.5" radius. if fitted right the 3 bolt neck does work fine. i'd say you'd be fine getting one ofthe reissues just be aware of the radius spec ifthat is an issue for you.
Quote by gregs1020
imo

imo

imo

everyone knows, if you're given a choice of more or less bolts,
you always take less!!!

it just makes good sense.

and that's one to grow on.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by coolstoryangus
tom... hot link pwned!
whey!

I r winnah

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by jj1565
everyone knows, if you're given a choice of more or less bolts,
you always take less!!!

it just makes good sense.

and that's one to grow on.

i once tried a 70's fender strat and to be honest looking back at it now, it was god awful