A small town in central Italy has declared its independence and started to print its own banknotes.

The authorities in Filettino, 100km (70 miles) east of Rome, are protesting against austerity measures.

It has only 550 inhabitants and under new rules aimed at cutting local administration costs it will be forced to merge with neighbouring Trevi.

Town mayor Luca Sellari, who stands to lose his job because of the eurozone crisis, came up with the idea.

He created his own currency, called the Fiorito. Banknotes have his head on the back, and they are already being used in local shops and being bought as souvenirs by tourists who have started to throng the normally quiet streets.

The mayor says there is enormous enthusiasm about declaring the independence of the new principality.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14774526

That is pretty awesome and I support them. Fuck all this big town bullshit, small towns are awesome.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
to them
e-married to the most fabulous Fashionista ever, Rarity
e-mom to Scootaloo, somehow
Quote by dawgeth321
Let's warm our wings, fly through the clouds, and dance in the sky, mon capitaine.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
They need to change their name to Grand Fenwick.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.

I'd live there.
That town reminds me of Tuscany

EDIT: You can see a 10 year old girl half naked in the window of the house on the left
Last edited by LostLegion at Sep 3, 2011,
^ wut
Quote by LostLegion

EDIT: You can see a 10 year old girl half naked in the window of the house on the left

I don't know what's worse, the fact that I spent 10 minutes looking for it and never found it, or the fact that I actually tried to find it
Quote by LostLegion

Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by LostLegion

they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by Lord_Hondros
I don't know what's worse, the fact that I spent 10 minutes looking for it and never found it, or the fact that I actually tried to find it

Why don't you just take a seat right over there...

while i give it a go
Arms Of Empire
^ ^ ^ Band I am involved in ^ ^ ^
Please check it out? ;D

Axe FX II + EBMM JP6 + Jackson DK2S
Fiorito? Sounds delicious.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Last edited by moscaespañol at Sep 3, 2011,
Quote by psyks
Really? who's going to be willing to trade in their currency?

Forex already deemed it more stable than US dollars.
Quote by Kensai
Forex already deemed it more stable than US dollars.
Right. I don't pretend to understand economics, but don't you normally need industry to back up your currency? I imagine the residents of this town wither work in agriculture or work out of town.

I don't know... Could be an interesting case study though.
Now, i'm Italian and this could be very good. After all, the government's corrupt and is bringing the country to its knees, compromising the education system in particular.
I only hope this doesn't mean they're going to insulate themselves from immigration or try to fight off the unavoidable waves or refugees from Africa and the east, i know how italians can be and i know this is a bit of a risk.
That's pretty neat. So what they're a country now? Cause having their own currency isn't going to do much outside of their little town. Unless they can sustain themselves in every way which I highly doubt.
My school has a larger population than that town
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by metalblaster
That's pretty neat. So what they're a country now? Cause having their own currency isn't going to do much outside of their little town. Unless they can sustain themselves in every way which I highly doubt.

If they have enough water and food, maybe sheeps wool for clothing, then it might take a while.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I think it's cute.

On a darker note, it's only a matter of time before the U.S. (and faithful side kick Australia) begins providing them with small arms, propping up their currency, training their militia, and provoking unrest in the region causing a large scale revolution.

It's all about the mozzarella.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by sglover34479
Yeah, in a way I think small towns work way better than big cities. They're at least easier to run, and in the state the world's in, it might help if he was more of these.

Not really. If you have a bunch of independent small towns etc around the place then it becomes next to impossible to have any decent infrastructure or trade, and those are only two of the most obvious problems.
Countries have to be able to be economically viable. The Vatican for example is only so because they have lots of pope gold.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Not really. If you have a bunch of independent small towns etc around the place then it becomes next to impossible to have any decent infrastructure or trade, and those are only two of the most obvious problems.
Countries have to be able to be economically viable. The Vatican for example is only so because they have lots of pope gold.

And a healthy service industry with hard working small boys.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
...and what army?
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by Firebirdz
I, for one, welcome our new Filettinoian overlords.

I couldn't have wished for a better first post.

I wish Annapolis would declare independence.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Basti might hate me for this, but from certain points of view, Italy would be better as a federalist country.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by Krieger91
Basti might hate me for this, but from certain points of view, Italy would be better as a federalist country.

I hate you.

But seriously i see your point, if they managed to do it without the blatant racism

Well fuck this sinking ship anyway, Italy can do whatever it wants once i'm outta here
Quote by Basti95
I hate you.

But seriously i see your point, if they managed to do it without the blatant racism

Well fuck this sinking ship anyway, Italy can do whatever it wants once i'm outta here

I agree fully with both these statements.
When I can, I'm going to do my best to get out of here.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by metalblaster

Why would they not trade?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
pope gold.

Word of the day? No?