I have been messing around with a drum machine for a while and made a couple rock beats but I can only make really basic beats for a couple bars. I am not sure how to create good drum beats for chorus's, verses, etc. as what would typically be found in a really good hard rock song. should I just quit using the drum machine and just "feel" what I want to play without a real rhythm section going on? do you think drum machines are necessary to writing really good guitar parts?
What make/model of drum machine is it? The one I use has 100's of pre-programmed rhythms as well as space to create loads of your own. You then programme those different rhythms for verse, chorus, fills, other sections etc as required and create an entire song's rhythm section with it.

If your drum machine only lets you programme a couple of bars, I'd assume you're doing something wrong and should read the manual.

The only other reason I can think of that would restrict you to only programming a couple of bars is if you are using a free demo of a software package - I've seen those in the past where the demo version is restricted like that and to finish a song you have to purchase the full version.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I am using Redrum . It is a virtual drum machine in Reason 4. I just have trouble coming up with drum beats for verses etc. I only play guitar and never really listened exclusively to what the drums are doing to know enough and create a whole drum track. Maybe I should just look up drum covers on youtube and practice making them???
Last edited by Unreal T at Sep 3, 2011,
Sorry, I misunderstood what your problem was when I did my first reply. If that's the case, you just need to start focusing on the drums to hear the sort of things they do, once you're familiar with the general patterns used by your favourite artists you'll have a better idea of what to do for the songs you write.

I've reached a stage in my songwriting where when I come up with a new riff or chord pattern, I actually hear in my head what I want the drums & bass to be doing, and it all falls into place. With a bit of practice, you'll get there eventually as well.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Record yourself tapping a rhythm with your fingers, then transcribe it onto the machine.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.