Hi amp guys, got an issue with a 2005/6 era Dual Rec. apparently it was un-plugged from the wall premature to being put on standby, tubes are fine, trannies seem fine so i'm worried about there maybe being a circuit board issue.

my question is what is the first thing should i be looking for in this situation? maybe reverse current through a diode perhaps? or maybe the copper traces within the board itself could have been fried?

i'm stumped on this one...
some guitars
some amps
some pedals
some crabs
Is it broken or are you just worried it's broken? Unplugging it while it is operating is the same as turning the power off. There are many tube amps without standby switches. It shouldn't be damaging.
Look and see if any of the solder joints are cracked.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well, pulling the plug from the wall has technically the same effect as the power off switch. So why worry? Or is there a problem with sound/performance?
does it work?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
it's not producing any sound, there is power present when turned on. i.e L.E.D's glow, tubes glow etc.
some guitars
some amps
some pedals
some crabs
is it on standby mode(if the amp has one?) is everything plugged up correctly?
  • Beer
  • Friends
  • Producing and Recording
  • Sitcoms
  • Eastern Kentucky University
  • Dead Fret

My ambition is handicapped by laziness
stupid question: is it plugged into a speaker cab?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'm almost sure that if it were a problem with your protection diodes the amp wouldn't turn on at all. If the tubes all look good than it's time to open 'er up. BE CAREFUL!
well yes, this is the conclusion i've come to, but as previously asked... where do i start looking?
some guitars
some amps
some pedals
some crabs
UPDATE: so today i've actually had time to down and try out every single switch/channel and whatnot that i can.

AND upon switching the BIAS from 6L6 to EL34 i suddenly have volume. i've never actually had much to do with dual rectifiers before but something tells me maybe the switch has been knocked and the bias was incorrect.

so to re-cap:
in 6L6 mode at full volume on every channel, i obtained bedroom practice sound levels, but at EL34 mode i ended up with a great deal more volume.

Now upon inspection, the tubes inside are actually 6L6's, so what on god's green earth is the issue?
some guitars
some amps
some pedals
some crabs
Last edited by Mech-cannibal at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by Mech-cannibal
UPDATE: so today i've actually had time to down and try out every single switch/channel and whatnot that i can.

AND upon switching the BIAS from 6L6 to EL34 i suddenly have volume. i've never actually had much to do with dual rectifiers before but something tells me maybe the switch has been knocked and the bias was incorrect.

so to re-cap:
in 6L6 mode at full volume on every channel, i obtained bedroom practice sound levels, but at EL34 mode i ended up with a great deal more volume.

Now upon inspection, the tubes inside are actually 6L6's, so what on god's green earth is the issue?

dual rec at bedroom levels? i think we have a winner.... but on a related note...

@_@
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Your Bias selector switch may be bad?

I suggest you take it to a tech and have them check it out before you really mess that amp up.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
the last tech who looked at this amp said "just write it off on insurance, i have no idea what's going on".....

yep.
some guitars
some amps
some pedals
some crabs
Quote by Mech-cannibal
the last tech who looked at this amp said "just write it off on insurance, i have no idea what's going on".....

yep.

Well I mean take it to a Tech that is knowledgeable in Mesa amps.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
call mesa? have the usual over the phone troubleshoot, and see what they can do in terms of repairs
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED