I've been reading Freepower's technique guide again, and the video within explains that you should use your index finger to mute the strings below the one you are playing, and use the tip of the index finger to mute the top string. This method requires you to keep your index finger at the beginning of whatever you're playing at all times.

Then there's this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMII37neQD8&feature=related
Which explains that you can just use the palm of your right hand to mute the strings, and that you can lift all of your fingers from the fretboard when switching strings. Unlike the method above, where you are "glued" to the fretboard.

Which leads me to the next question, is it better to glue your fingers to the strings or play loosely?
I use both, always
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by robbit10
I've been reading Freepower's technique guide again, and the video within explains that you should use your index finger to mute the strings below the one you are playing, and use the tip of the index finger to mute the top string. This method requires you to keep your index finger at the beginning of whatever you're playing at all times.

Then there's this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMII37neQD8&feature=related
Which explains that you can just use the palm of your right hand to mute the strings, and that you can lift all of your fingers from the fretboard when switching strings. Unlike the method above, where you are "glued" to the fretboard.

Which leads me to the next question, is it better to glue your fingers to the strings or play loosely?

Did you actually watch all of the video? The guy talks about the index finger muting as well.

Make sure you mute as much as possible all the time, you need to be 100% in control of the sounds that come out of your guitar and having your fingers close to the fretboard all the time no bad thing anyway.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I use both, together they work amazingly. It just requires a little bit of practice.
You use both all the time - and your index finger doesn't press down, it's just relaxed so it stays fairly low. Lifting it significantly when changing string is useless unless you're doing hammers from nowhere, in which case you should have fantastic muting anyway between the other fingers and the right hand palm.
sometimes if i want to practice sweep picking without the annoying sound of open notes ringing out i either take a wristband and put it around the 1st fret so that it mutes out the open note. You can also use like a sock or any cloth to tie around it to mute them out.
15 years old playing 4 years and no lessons. Guitars:Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Amps:Peavey 6505+ head, Peavey Classic 50 combo, Peavey audition 110. Effects:IbanezTS-9, Dunlop535qwah, BossMT-2. YouTube A7Xguitarplayer0272
Quote by A7Xguitarplayer
sometimes if i want to practice sweep picking without the annoying sound of open notes ringing out i either take a wristband and put it around the 1st fret so that it mutes out the open note. You can also use like a sock or any cloth to tie around it to mute them out.

That's pretty pathetic, just learn to mute properly, it should be part of your technique practice anyway.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That's pretty pathetic, just learn to mute properly, it should be part of your technique practice anyway.

Not saying i don't agree with you that you should practice without such stuff and try and get as good muting technique as possible, hairbands are very useful. Hell i use them for all my live performances/recordings. And if im doing anything that involves string skipped tapping.
Quote by Sickz
Not saying i don't agree with you that you should practice without such stuff and try and get as good muting technique as possible, hairbands are very useful. Hell i use them for all my live performances/recordings. And if im doing anything that involves string skipped tapping.

He labels what he's doing as practice and then calls string noise "annoying". Clearly he blames anything but his technique for the noise.

I'm fine with using hairbands live to cover up heat of the moment mistakes and in the studio it's also fine because time is money.

During practice? Suck it up and make yourself a better player.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

During practice? Suck it up and make yourself a better player.

That is pretty much the best answear you could get in this thread.

EDIT: Just noticed it wasent the TS that made the wristband talk start, but you can learn from this aswell.
Last edited by Sickz at Sep 6, 2011,