Practice is always the answer.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I usually like, slowly unbend while sliding up the neck to mute the string easier, but I'm not sure how others would do it. I think Gary's right, just practice and see what works best for you.
Quote by GaryBillington

When do people always right this? Its lazy and unhelpful!!

I know its part of the answer, but its proper practice of proper technique thats needed, and the op clearly needs some technique help.

-

A few questions for the OP.

How many fingers do you bend with?
Do you bend from the wrist?

I finger the way you grip the neck and string when you bend is very important.

I tent to bend with 3 fingers. The index, middle and ring. When I bend the string up (geographically), my index finger will touch the string above it to keep it muted, and will help to bend that string as well so my fingers do go underneath it.

So if I am bending the B string my index finger with be touching the G string.

Also, the thumb plays an important part. When I bend my thumb comes right over the top of the neck, and is in fact almost touching my fretting fingers. This gives a much stronger grip, gives more control over the bend and helps with the muting of the other strings.

Finally, make sure you bending motion comes from the wrist, not the fingers.
Last edited by jkielq91 at Sep 3, 2011,
Quote by GaryBillington

Sadly, I must say he's write. I had the same problem as OP for a while and practicing bends constantly fixed it. I'm not saying there aren't other ways, but that's the most direct way of going about it.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Practive isn't the answer.

What if you practice something wrong ?

You first need to learn to bend without your fingers slipping under. Try changing the angle of your fingers and make sure you are also in the correct position before you bend. Its hard to explain over the internet.

Just experimenmt until you get it right and then practice it until you can't get it wrong.

How many fingers do you use to bend ?

I ask this because until about 3 months in i only used one finger to bend and this always happened to me. I now use 2 or 3 fingers to bend (in most situations) and it hasn't happened to me in about 6 months.
Last edited by mrbabo91 at Sep 3, 2011,
Quote by jkielq91

I know its part of the answer, but its proper practice of proper technique thats needed, and the op clearly needs some technique help.

-

A few questions for the OP.

How many fingers do you bend with?
Do you bend from the wrist?

I finger the way you grip the neck and string when you bend is very important.

I tent to bend with 3 fingers. The index, middle and ring. When I bend the string up (geographically), my index finger will touch the string above it to keep it muted, and will help to bend that string as well so my fingers do go underneath it.

So if I am bending the B string my index finger with be touching the G string.

Also, the thumb plays an important part. When I bend my thumb comes right over the top of the neck, and is in fact almost touching my fretting fingers. This gives a much stronger grip, gives more control over the bend and helps with the muting of the other strings.

Finally, make sure you bending motion comes from the wrist, not the fingers.

This is correct.
But i only use two fingers but in ther same manner. The only other thing i can add is when your practicing, at first dont do it at the same speed of how the bend is played slow it down a bit the slowly increase the pace of the bend till you get it right.
Quote by jkielq91

Quote by jwd724
Sadly, I must say he's write

Seriously though, the motion comes from the wrist, and you want to strengthen your grip on the string by using three fingers (or two if needs be), and not tensing.
Quote by Dingle87

But i only use two fingers but in ther same manner. The only other thing i can add is when your practicing, at first dont do it at the same speed of how the bend is played slow it down a bit the slowly increase the pace of the bend till you get it right.

This is a very good addition!