I'm looking for a new (second) delay pedal. Currently using Boss DD-3 for 300-350ms delays.
I'm down to this:
EH Memory toy/boy $100/$120
Visual Sound Garage Tone Delay $70
Danelectro Reel Echo $130
MXR Carbon Copy $130

I like to experiment with delays...

And also, because I completely ruined my old crybaby gcb-95, and I don't want my current one crybaby - modded, red inductor.
My search is down to:
Danelectro Triple Wah $50
ModTone Vintage Wah $90
Rocktron Tri Wah $80

Note all pedals are at their online prices, without shipping so.. I don't want to spend anymore than $160 with shipping.

P.S. not to confuse anyone who has already posted.. it's not a new thread, it's modified.
Last edited by BrainCrasher at Sep 4, 2011,
Budget? Why exactly are you buying a second average delay pedal? I mean with the price you pay for 2 delays you can get a really good one like the Digitech Hardwire Delay/Looper or the TC Electronics Flashback.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Sep 3, 2011,
Quote by BrainCrasher
I've been searching the net for LOTS of things these days... And for some reason bought a danelectro pb&j just to try it. The site where I searched has listed a lot of pedals from ModTone.. I never heard of them until now, so after some reading of reviews I planing to get a delay from them too :\
I listen to some demos for:
ModTone Mini Mod Delay
and
ModTone Analog Delay ..

What I want to know if someone has tried them, and how long the delay can go? I need just something over 300ms

P.S. i see they have a wah too maybe I'll get that too

All the boss pedals in your sig blinded me
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
I'm mainly interested in them because they are cheap, and sound good.. as for a youtube demo..

slipknot_420 I love BOSS
Whats your kind of budget?

Based on nothing but personal experience, go for a tc nova delay/nova repeater

(also, go used).
call me ziggy.
I got a Mod Tone Speed Distortion, I think that's what it's called. Anyways I got it for $20 brand new at a pawn shop, it's was definitely worth $20 but it sounds kind of thin. I think they might be trying to get that '80's thrash sound' so that might be why it sounds like it does. I don't know how much they retail for but if they are cheap I think it's worth a try.

EDIT: http://www.modtone-effects.com/Speedbox-Distortion.html This is it, it's called a Speed Box
Last edited by asmithgdci at Sep 3, 2011,
Quote by BrainCrasher
I'm mainly interested in them because they are cheap, and sound good.. as for a youtube demo..

slipknot_420 I love BOSS

Wasting away again in Bufferville..... searching for my lost guitar tone. why not just get a dd-3 or dd-7?? They are 2 of the better boss pedals.
Well actually I wanted to hear something more about those ModTone.. but if you are suggesting me other...

I'd say my budget goes up to $160 with shipping, and that would be a EH Memory Boy. But I don't need all the modulations it has, so the memory toy is good enough too right? That's why I'm asking about those ModTone.. by look, design and delay time - I'd say the memory toy, carbon copy and the modtone analog delay are similar?
Normally more money - better quality parts, REAL true bypass and so on.. but on sound they should be similar I guess.
I'll try find a nova delay used, or as my final it would be the memory toy/boy.
Quote by mmjohn
Wasting away again in Bufferville..... searching for my lost guitar tone. why not just get a dd-3 or dd-7?? They are 2 of the better boss pedals.

Nice Jimmy Buffet reference...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
check out the danelectro reel echo. its an awesome delay pedal. its got solid state and tube modes and a switchable warble mode for tape sounds. also has a sound on sound footswitch that lets u loop a phrase and play over it.
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute

Various Effects
Quote by voltafan485
check out the danelectro reel echo. its an awesome delay pedal. its got solid state and tube modes and a switchable warble mode for tape sounds. also has a sound on sound footswitch that lets u loop a phrase and play over it.

hmm.. Interesting, i can get it for the same price as MXR analog delay. Is it that good?

:EDIT: I might change my mind about buying the memory boy after hearing some youtube videos of THIS
Last edited by BrainCrasher at Sep 4, 2011,
i personally think the reel echo is more versatile than the mxr delay.
since u can get digital and analog sounds out of it.
it is a HUGE pedal though and takes up alot of space on the board.
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.

Various Effects
Quote by LaidBack
Nice Jimmy Buffet reference...

Quote by voltafan485
i personally think the reel echo is more versatile than the mxr delay.
since u can get digital and analog sounds out of it.
it is a HUGE pedal though and takes up alot of space on the board.

From what I heard on YouTube it definitely is!
But how is the buffer? Or is it true bypass? I don't want anything that will cut my tone.
I understand all BOSS pedals are buffers and color the tone, but I can live with that, if it's more than what those pedal do.. than I don't want it.
Ex: any kind of Behring effect unit is too much coloring and tone eater for me.

On the other side anyone tried the Tone Mod Vintage Wah, from what I heard on YouTube is more than satisfying for me!
if you're going to spend that much, i suggest the tc electronic flashback. fantastic multi-delay pedal. analog, digital, tape, lo-fi, you name it, it has it. plus a 40 second looper. switchable between true bypass and an excellent buffered bypass. would definitely get it over the dd-7.

or if you're looking for something purely analog, malekko ekko 616. more clarity than the carbon copy, adjustable modulation on the face of the pedal, and boutique factor.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Sep 4, 2011,
Quote by NakedInTheRain
if you're going to spend that much, i suggest the tc electronic flashback. fantastic multi-delay pedal. analog, digital, tape, lo-fi, you name it, it has it. plus a 40 second looper. switchable between true bypass and an excellent buffered bypass. would definitely get it over the dd-7.

or if you're looking for something purely analog, malekko ekko 616. more clarity than the carbon copy, adjustable modulation on the face of the pedal, and boutique factor.

They are too much for me I have to consider shipping too. I don't want to spend more than $160 total

Thank you anyway. Those are great suggestions. But considering my budget and tone of pedals, for now the Reel Echo wins.
Quote by fly135
$100 at GC right now...

I don't have a GC around, and the only shops around are VERY EXPENSIVE. So my only choice is buying online, and this baby goes for 170$ without shipping...

Thank you for suggesting!
i think its buffer.
if there is any tone coloring its miniscule.
i use alot of pedals so tone coloring is something i just kind of accept haha

but seriously i think its a pretty clean pedal and wont color ur tone much.
Egnater Tweaker 40
Yamaha s412
Vox AC4TV
Fender Blues Jr. VIII

Fender MIM Jazzmaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez VBT700
Epiphone Les Paul jr.

Various Effects
Quote by voltafan485
i think its buffer.
if there is any tone coloring its miniscule.
i use alot of pedals so tone coloring is something i just kind of accept haha

but seriously i think its a pretty clean pedal and wont color ur tone much.

Thanks for replying!
I'm getting it, unfortunately I will have to wait for a while.. the only site that ships to my country listed it as "Sold out"
Quote by Dmaj7
I'm sorry but all of those pedals are terrible.

What is good then?
Last edited by BrainCrasher at Sep 5, 2011,
Well if youre playing live, you need something with a tap tempo.

If you are playing alone, the memory boy would be good.

As for wahs. A vox V847 or a crybaby will do anybody just fine. The Budwahs are pretty good, but I don't know how much they are.
Quote by Dmaj7

As for wahs. A vox V847 or a crybaby will do anybody just fine. The Budwahs are pretty good, but I don't know how much they are.

I'm not changing anything on delays while playing live.. I really never used a tap tempo..
My new delay will be for experimenting at home and recording, and if it sounds better than the DD-3 it will be used live.

Thanks for offering Budda Wahs but they are out of my budget.
I think I'll just get the one I was asking about - ModTone Vintage Wah. It's definitely better than the GCB-95 and it's in almost same price range..
I don't like Vox Wah...
I'd say I'm set for the Wah problem
well let me just say that tap tempo makes everything sound much better. 99.9% of U2 is on tempo. And DL4s are cheap.
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by Dmaj7
well let me just say that tap tempo makes everything sound much better. 99.9% of U2 is on tempo. And DL4s are cheap.

Just no. Tap tempo is essential for U2 stuff or for precise on the beat delays. This isn't always needed though. And it sound's like TS doesn't need it.
As for wahs, vox are ok, but a crybaby [assuming you mean the original] is pretty shit.
Sounds like TS knows what he is doing

muledit:
Quote by NakedInTheRain

This for the delay though. I'd recommend saving for one of these over the reel echo
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Sep 5, 2011,
Quote by mulefish
Just no. Tap tempo is essential for U2 stuff or for precise on the beat delays. This isn't always needed though. And it sound's like TS doesn't need it.
As for wahs, vox are ok, but a crybaby [assuming you mean the original] is pretty shit.Sounds like TS knows what he is doing

muledit:

This for the delay though. I'd recommend saving for one of these over the reel echo

You do know how many legends use crybabys, right?

Quote by Dmaj7

You do know the difference between the crybaby's used by the legends and the original crybaby in production now, right?

RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Dmaj7

the ones that the legends use are modded to hell, dude. the vast majority of the current production crybabys are seriously bad.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
the ones that the legends use are modded to hell, dude. the vast majority of the current production crybabys are seriously bad.

That's the main problem! And the one I'm looking forward to has some good mods on it, I'm not saying is the best or that it sounds as good as a 535q or MODDED Classic Crybaby, infact I have never heard it live. But it definitely would be better than my current.

Quote by mulefish

Well I like the flashback.. I may find a way, or sell the fabs/digi delay

Thanks to all of you. I really appreciate your help and advice.