What's up guys? I'm about to rig up my ESP/LTD KH-202 and well..I came across a problem. What pickup(s) should I choose? I play Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, a little blues, classic rock, a little grunge and alternative, but mainly, Heavy Metal. I mostly play Metallica. I run my KH-202 through a Marshall MG15fx (a lil' 15 watt practice amp), and I'm looking to improve my sound. Now, I'm ruling out EMGs. They're way too sterile and mainstream. I've narrowed it down to, The Dimarzio Evolution (both neck, and bridge postion) or the Seymour Duncan Dimebucker (bridge) and well..I havent decided on the neck position yet. That's why I'm coming to you guys. I reaaaaally appreciate the help guys. Keep headbangin'.
Quote by metalhead6628
What's up guys? I'm about to rig up my ESP/LTD KH-202 and well..I came across a problem. What pickup(s) should I choose? I play Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, a little blues, classic rock, a little grunge and alternative, but mainly, Heavy Metal. I mostly play Metallica. I run my KH-202 through a Marshall MG15fx (a lil' 15 watt practice amp), and I'm looking to improve my sound. Now, I'm ruling out EMGs. They're way too sterile and mainstream. I've narrowed it down to, The Dimarzio Evolution (both neck, and bridge postion) or the Seymour Duncan Dimebucker (bridge) and well..I havent decided on the neck position yet. That's why I'm coming to you guys. I reaaaaally appreciate the help guys. Keep headbangin'.

I can tell you what most of the replies will be...
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by pigeonmafia
I can tell you what most of the replies will be...

Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Yeah as Pigeonmafia said this is going to go only one way.

When I read the post I stopped once I saw Marshall MG15.

You could put the best pickups in the world in that guitar and plug it into that amp and at best it would sound below-average. If you were to buy a set of Dimarzios you're looking at £150 so I would recommend selling the amp and investing that extra cash into a more suitable amp.

Sorry if I sound like a jerk
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Quote by barnesybaby
Yeah as Pigeonmafia said this is going to go only one way.

When I read the post I stopped once I saw Marshall MG15.

You could put the best pickups in the world in that guitar and plug it into that amp and at best it would sound below-average. If you were to buy a set of Dimarzios you're looking at £150 so I would recommend selling the amp and investing that extra cash into a more suitable amp.

Sorry if I sound like a jerk

You're right though...

Crap pickups into a great amp > great pickups into a shit amp
Yeah, I had that thought in the back of my mind.. But I disregarded it. Thanks guys. I think I'll start investing in a Line 6 Spider. A 75 watt, preferably.
Ok. Now people are going to start thinking you're a troll. A 75 watt Spider is louder than an MG. Not better.
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40
Quote by metalhead6628
Yeah, I had that thought in the back of my mind.. But I disregarded it. Thanks guys. I think I'll start investing in a Line 6 Spider. A 75 watt, preferably.

Gear:
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Oooooohh dear...
This has to be a troll thread. MG 'upgrading' to a Spider. That's not even a good troll, that's lazy trolling.
Trolling? Really? I just want to improve my sound. That's it. I came here, since I was confused on what I should do, thinking I'd find help. What are your suggestions, then?
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Again, I apologise if I sound like a jerk but as you can tell from the other posts I am not the only one surprised at your choices. For what it's worth kudos to Marshall and Line 6 for excellent advertising.

As for real suggestions and help:
Budget?
Location / Currency?
Willing to buy used?
We already know you want something for metal and 'tallica so that's a good start
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40
They're right.

I've played a bunch of KH-202s in stores, including several upgraded with the right EMGs. Pickups will all sound very similar on that amp. But even those factory pickups are livable if you play it through a good amp.

I suffered a while with an MG30DFX. Didn't take long before I put it aside and just plugged my GNX4 into a keyboard amp. Eventually I found a used JVM410 half stack for a price I coulnd't pass up. Everything sounds good on that; even stock Squiers.

Nowdays for practice I run the signal through a Digitech RP355 for basic modeling and experimenting with effects, and that's plugged into a VOX DA5. I get all the tones I need for practice out of that, but it can't compete with the half stack for subtle dynamics or knocking all the books off the shelves. The half stack rig only gets used for practice with the band and gigs.
Quote by metalhead6628
Trolling? Really? I just want to improve my sound. That's it. I came here, since I was confused on what I should do, thinking I'd find help. What are your suggestions, then?

If you're serious. I'll try to help.

Here's some advice.

1) Sell MG
2) Dont buy a Spider!
3) Look on your local craigslist, scout out ebay, look for deals.

It'd help a lot if you could tell us a budget you have in mind if you really are going to buy a new amp.

If you're somewhat of a beginner, I'd probably go with a Peavey Vypyr. They're decent solid state amps, but there are tube Vypyrs out there too.

Maybe roll with a Blackstar? I've tried a few of them in search for an amp that suited me and they seemed to do everything just fine. But I didn't buy one, I bought my JCM 2000 instead.
Gear:
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Sep 3, 2011,
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
If you're serious. I'll try to help.

Here's some advice.

1) Sell MG
2) Dont buy a Spider!
3) Look on your local craigslist, scout out ebay, look for deals.

It'd help a lot if you could tell us a budget you have in mind if you really are going to buy a new amp.

If you're somewhat of a beginner, I'd probably go with a Peavey Vypyr. They're decent solid state amps, but there are tube Vypyrs out there too.

Maybe roll with a Blackstar? I've tried a few of them in search for an amp that suited me and they seemed to do everything just fine. But I didn't buy one, I bought my JCM 2000 instead.

This. Also look at the Roland Cube and Fender Mustang. The Spider 75 goes for $300; for that price you could get a Blackstar HT-1 or maybe a used HT-5.

You can do much better than a spider.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by metalhead6628
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help.

We can provide you with real suggestions with the requested info if you would like it
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40
A lot of people like the Roland Cubes. Before you go that route compare it side by side with the competion--I chose my VOX over the Roland because it had more low end and a lot more bang for the buck in other ways too.

And I'm a Roland guy when it comes to digital pianos and digital drums. Just think they're way out of their core competency in amplification and effects--but you still pay for the name, even when it's spelled "B O S S". Unless you're playing jazz--Roland has a great jazz amp or two--but you're not getting metal out of that.

Having a tube amp (a real one, not a trans tube or hybrid) will expose you to dynamics and harmonics you just don't typically get with a solid state. Make sure it has a tube pre-amp and a tube power stage, otherwise it's more of a gimmick.

I guess even though you've been a member here a year you must not read many of the threads because almost everyone here hates Marshall MGs and Spider amps. And for good reason. That's why everyone thought you were trolling.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Sep 3, 2011,
hey, old boss stuff was the bomb. new boss stuff (at least when they went digital...)

and thread starter, please tell us things like budget, the bands you like to play after, your general area, and stuff like that.

but, don't get a solid state amp (line6 spiders' marshall mg, roland cube, stuff like that). the best amps out there are tube amps. vox tube amps and fender tube amps seems to be the most popular with good reason (unless your a metalhead, then getting a line6 would actually be good for you, cause there isn't much tone to chuggy-chug)
Quote by 00_hns_00
hey, old boss stuff was the bomb. new boss stuff (at least when they went digital...)

and thread starter, please tell us things like budget, the bands you like to play after, your general area, and stuff like that.

but, don't get a solid state amp (line6 spiders' marshall mg, roland cube, stuff like that). the best amps out there are tube amps. vox tube amps and fender tube amps seems to be the most popular with good reason (unless your a metalhead, then getting a line6 would actually be good for you, cause there isn't much tone to chuggy-chug)

Even chuggy-chug sounds better with tubes. See Mesa, Engl, Diezel, Krank, Randall, etc. and bring a big credit card.
Quote by 00_hns_00
(unless your a metalhead, then getting a line6 would actually be good for you, cause there isn't much tone to chuggy-chug)

This^ post isnt biased at all. No tone to teh br00tz juz scuup all da mids, krank teh gain n pretend ur a train.