Page 1 of 2
Ok, so my dog, sometimes when you try to play with him, he kind of bites/gnaws on your hand. Like, snaps at you. So if he does it hard enough, I give him a little slap on the side. Not like "KAWACK!" but just enough to show him that I don't want to get bitten...

My mom and dad go apeshit whenever I do this like I'm abusing him or some shit, but I don't think I am. I'm just wondering if this is generally accepted or not.
No, as long as don't beat him. A light slap on the side won't hurt him.

Actually how big is the dog? Just asking because I wouldn't hit my shih-tzu, but I give my English Setter a slight bump or slap if she starts acting really bad.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Sep 3, 2011,
what you're doing is probably fine.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by ChadLikesGuitar
He's a snauzer, or something like that. I can't remember actually. He's only like 6 months old and around 20 pounds. Here's a video of him if you want:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAUO2LhY8cw&feature=channel_video_title

that might be too small. i wouldn't really know, cause i'm not really sure how hard you're hitting him.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Unless he yelps and tries to run away, its not abuse. Especially if he's trying to bite you.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
It's not abuse, though it would be better if you used voice commands/positive reinforcement to make sure he doesn't grow up thinking he can bite you. It would be a bigger deal if it was a bigger dog.
its fine, cool dog though
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
If it's a big dog, it probably doesn't care. I fight with my black lab all the time and she's about as big as me. Vicious fighting, biting, tackling, etc. A slap isn't going to hurt.

NVM, tiny dog. disregard this shit.
A better way to communicate that you're the alpha dog, not him, when he does this is say "NO!" very assertively, and immediately roll him on his back and clamp your hand firmly on his throat. Don't squeeze tight--it shouldn't hurt him, just show him you're stronger than him and don't let go until he submits.

He'll understand this, but he won't understand the slapping.

He won't like it at all, but after 5-10 times if you do it right, you shouldn't need to do it anymore.
It's not abuse, but it's probably not the best way to correct his biting. Whenever my dogs did it , I grabbed their snout and clamped it shut for a good long while, staring them down. Establishes dominance and how bad biting people is. Ten years later, they still piss themselves whenever they accidentally bite me when they're playing.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
It's more effective if you give him a heavy pat on the top of the nose for bad behavior, but no, that's not abuse as long as you're not hurting him. If he's nipping and you're trying to break that habit, it's fine.

But understand that part of playing for dogs, cats, and animals of the sort, is nipping. They're not doing it to hurt you, it's more the equivalent of grabbing you, but they don't have the hands to do it.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
If a pup bites it's mother too hard, she'll bark and bite him back usually, or kick him away, some type of physical method of saying no. It's fine man, unless it's yelping in serious pain, in which case just don't hit it that hard.
Lucky i found this thread, I received a 3 month old mini schnauzer a week ago and have the same problem with him. We horse around and he starts throwing these little bites at my arm. I tried holding his mouth shut and telling him a big NO. Sometimes he starts licking instead of biting but sometimes it's like he forgot and goes crazy trying to bite me again.
Quote by morciu
Lucky i found this thread, I received a 3 month old mini schnauzer a week ago and have the same problem with him. We horse around and he starts throwing these little bites at my arm. I tried holding his mouth shut and telling him a big NO. Sometimes he starts licking instead of biting but sometimes it's like he forgot and goes crazy trying to bite me again.

lmao, yeah. It's usually just when I try to pick him up XD. He'll come in my room and lick me just fine, but when I go to grab him, he's like RRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGRRRRRR.
Quote by RU Experienced?
He got banned for something or another.

Banned for spamming. He's on his 60 day ban IIRC.
pinga
i have a pit bull that loves to jump and get excited and i will lightly tap her on her side to let her know to calm down....it is like one of your buddies giving you a light punch on the arm when you diss them...it is not abuse
I haz gotten gud
Quote by SchecterDean
no, your not beating the hell out of him and he is a young pup, so your trying to show him wright from wrong.
Evidently a thing no-one taught you
Run your dog over, it's the only way it'll ever learn.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by morciu

You shouldn't tolerate licking either. That's another thing dogs do to see where they stand in the order of things. If you let them lick too much, then they think they're the alpha and it causes all sorts of other behavioral problems.

Plus you've seen what else the dog has done with that tongue--it's just living toilet paper...
Quote by jetwash69
Plus you've seen what else the dog has done with that tongue--it's just living toilet paper...

and a fap tool.
Quote by UntilISleep
and a fap tool.

Well played there. You must be from Texas or someplace cool like that.
You're worse than Hitler.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by jetwash69
You shouldn't tolerate licking either. That's another thing dogs do to see where they stand in the order of things. If you let them lick too much, then they think they're the alpha and it causes all sorts of other behavioral problems.

oh crap i let him do that all the time. I thought it was some cute submissive thing.
The way I've been raised, smacking a dog after it does something wrong is the best way to teach them not to do something. Obviously only do it when the dog does something that you don't want them to do in the future. I feel bad sometimes, I love my German Shepherds but there is some shit that a dog will not learn from just by shouting "no."
Quote by Colgate Total
I have my girlfriend's Facebook password. Which means she clicked "Remember Password" when she logged in on my laptop. Which means this is a test. That bitch.
I always do the "vulcan nerve pinch like thing" followed by an agitated hiss to my dog whenever he disobeys. Cesar Millan always does that.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Page 1 of 2