I've been talking to a few guitarists and looked at a fair few sites and cant seem to find a definitive answer as to what causes string buzz.

I have string buzz on my LP near the nut, (first few frets) but only on some of my strings (G, and low E) - there is probably a slight bit of buzz on the A and D but anyway some people say loosen my truss rod to raise the action which i have considered doing because its impossibly hard to left hand mute my high e because its so damn close to the fretboard.

But other people say to raise my bridge to correct the action - but wont that affect the intonation? Or is the purely based off how far forward/back the saddles are.

Also since its an LP we're talking about - what is the correct height of the stopbar tailpiece in all of this?

I got the buzz when i switched from .10 to .9, so i switched back to .10 but i still have it - only a little less noticeably.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Could be the truss rod, check the neck relief. Take it to a luthier if you don't know what you are doing.
If your neck doesn't look like a banana, you should check the bridge first. If you move it up or down, you'll have to check intonation. With a tuner the intonation is easy to handle.

1. Play open string and tune
2. Play 12th fret and check if its also in tune --> open E = 12th fret E
3. if the tuner shows that its not in tune, move the saddle forward(if too high), move the saddle backwards(if too low)
Quote by W4T3V3R
I've been talking to a few guitarists and looked at a fair few sites and cant seem to find a definitive answer as to what causes string buzz.

I have string buzz on my LP near the nut, (first few frets) but only on some of my strings (G, and low E) - there is probably a slight bit of buzz on the A and D but anyway some people say loosen my truss rod to raise the action which i have considered doing because its impossibly hard to left hand mute my high e because its so damn close to the fretboard.

But other people say to raise my bridge to correct the action - but wont that affect the intonation? Or is the purely based off how far forward/back the saddles are.

Also since its an LP we're talking about - what is the correct height of the stopbar tailpiece in all of this?

I got the buzz when i switched from .10 to .9, so i switched back to .10 but i still have it - only a little less noticeably.

because the buzz is at the first few frets there is no way that raising the bridge will help.

most likely when you changed gauge the neck relaxed and you got a little back bow.

all you have to do,

is fret the low E first fret. at the same time,
fret the low E last fret, where the neck and body meet. around the 19th.

if when you do that, the string lays on the middle frets, 7-9th.

then you need more relief.

it's safe to turn the truss rod 1/4 turn Counter Clockwise.
dont force the turn and let the guitar settle in tune.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011