Hey all,
I'm after a delay pedal and have had my eye on the Line 6 DL4 for a while now as it seemed to be what everyone was going for, for the last while. But I'm just wondering, is this still the best delay pedal to go for, or are there better delay pedals for cheaper/same price?
There is no best delay, it depends on your likes and needs. Line 6 DL4 is a digital delay, very tweakable by the way and good sounding. Trying it out and trying other delays is the only way you will find out which one is the right for you. Let us know how did it go.
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Sep 3, 2011,
And there's actually a mod for the dl4 that lets it have 6 presets instead of three.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2W4819pLM4
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Sep 3, 2011,
Check out TC Elec nova, nova repeater, flashback???
I didn't like the DL-4 at all. I bought it just to have some fun with it modding it, but I sold it 'cause I didn't like the delays at all. For plain digital delay and fun stuff like reverse and looping is cool, but the analog and tape delay settings just suck.
i have 2 modded ones on my floor and a third on my workbench half modded
mojostompboxes.com
Oh, you can't change the delay type, just the tempos. I see...

Sorry about that.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by WtrPlyr
I didn't like the DL-4 at all. I bought it just to have some fun with it modding it, but I sold it 'cause I didn't like the delays at all. For plain digital delay and fun stuff like reverse and looping is cool, but the analog and tape delay settings just suck.

+1

i wanted to like this pedal so much, gave it multiple chances. didn't do it for me at all. i'd go with mmjohn's idea, the TC nove stuff that i have tried is much nicer imo.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Check out the Eventide Timefactor too, super high quality stuff.
My Gear:
Fender 65' Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe
Epi Les Paul Special Plus
Seagull S6 Original
Pitchblack>Tubescreamer>Xotic AC Booster

My Band - A Waste Odyssey
Quote by kutless999
Oh, you can't change the delay type, just the tempos. I see...

Sorry about that.

not just the tempo, you can also store other repeat and tweak and twizz setting (or whatever its called).

the only downside of the dl4, is the fact that it doesn't tell you the m.s. of the repeats, and the number of repeats. if it had those 2, and came with the keeley mod, it would be hands down the best delay ever.
I just youtube'd the Eventide Timefactor and OMG that thing is amazing! That reverse delay is absolutely sick and the fact that it has two delays at the same time! even though it's expensive as I think this will be my next pedal.
Quote by Dmaj7
its an affordable version of the timefactor

What is? The DL4? Does it have a reverse delay function as well?
It's not an affordable version of a Timefactor

And it does have reverse delay

The DL4 is super sterile sounding, I found. I could not stand the digital delays on it. The analog mode was crap too. I would really only use tube echo, tape echo and multi-head. The switches on stock DL4's are also not chassis mounted, putting stress on the PCB, and they experience a volume drop when they're engaged. Line 6 also left dotted eighth delay out of their subdivision options.

I do like how they do their presets though. A separate switch for each preset and you can set every parameter of the delay on the presets. The looper is also simple to operate.

The Nova Delay is a good alternative. It does a lot of what the DL4 does and it doesn't sound sterile at all. The presets aren't as well defined; you're stuck with your feedback, modulation level and tone selection, but you can change the delay mode, modulation type and subdivisions. Preset switching is also a bit of a PITA. Audio tapping is a nice feature though, and so is the digital readout in BPM or milliseconds. I do find, however, that when I've got my Nova Delay set to 100% digital, the repeats still decay a little bit like the analog setting.
you can use dotted 8 delays on the dl4. its called the rythmic delay setting.

the dl4 does have a reverse delay function, but it's hard to dial in a good tone to be honest. however, i do use it one a few songs because it has a neat little percussive nature to it.

i would agree that there is some sterileness to it, but pretty much most delays in the dl4's price range are kinda like that. most of the delays are either really muddy and have no articulation, or they are extremely sterile and sound like grass grating against your brain.
however, i would have to say that the dl4's tone isn't bad at all considering the price range its in, and doing things like the volume drop mod and such helps ever so slightly.
EHX memory man deluxe
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't even own it.

But its analog, true bypass, rate leds.

$150.

Memory man is $300+
Its better, but not by much. You dont get what you pay for.
Quote by 00_hns_00
you can use dotted 8 delays on the dl4. its called the rythmic delay setting.

the dl4 does have a reverse delay function, but it's hard to dial in a good tone to be honest. however, i do use it one a few songs because it has a neat little percussive nature to it.

i would agree that there is some sterileness to it, but pretty much most delays in the dl4's price range are kinda like that. most of the delays are either really muddy and have no articulation, or they are extremely sterile and sound like grass grating against your brain.
however, i would have to say that the dl4's tone isn't bad at all considering the price range its in, and doing things like the volume drop mod and such helps ever so slightly.

There is no dotted eighth delay on it. There's triplet eighth, but no dotted. Similar sound, but not quite right.
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't even own it.

$150.

Memory man is $300+

Rate LED is only for the modulation. The other two LEDs are to show that the buffer is off/on and if the effect is bypassed or not. I'm not a huge fan of the Memory Man, but it does do some things better than the 616, ambience being one of them.
TC elec nova doesn't have a reverse function does it? Demo I watched I couldn't see it but just in case
also what is dotted eighth delay?

EDIT: Oh I see, that's actually the main kind of delay I want! :S
Last edited by rkroxpunk at Sep 6, 2011,
Quote by ACollier
Not trying to be a dick but some of these questions are easily googled.

Why google when you can waste more time asking the question on a forum and waiting for a reply?
sozbomb, I keep writing questions then researching the answer after i've already posted xD
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't even own it.

$150.

Memory man is $300+

holy shit!!!! its analog??? zomgzorz.

the "rate leds" are for the modulation speed only.

and again, you are saying that because you yourself can't justify spending "300+"

the malleko isn't bad, but its nothing to really write home about when there are better units out there. yes, it is good for its price. but you can't say that its better than the dmm.