Hey UG,

I've just learned how to construct chords from within a scale and how to know which chords can be used..

I have a couple of questions regarding this.

If I take the minor 'progressions'; is the standard 'formation' always
min-min-maj-maj-min-min-maj?
I mean like, E minor key; Em, F#m, G, A, Bm, C#m, D.

Does this system apply to the Major scale too? Except then it would be:
maj, min, min, maj, maj, min, min ?

I've been analyzing both scales with D, E and A# now and I found that there seems to be a rhythm. Am I correct or is this coincidence?

If I'm correct, than it seems that 4/7 notes out of the MAJOR scale are Minor.. Why is that? I thought it'd be 4/7 Major in Major scale and 4/7 Minor in Minor scale. It seems more logical but it doesn't appear to be that way.

I hope that I haven't made a huge screw-up in counting or something..?

Thanks!!
1/

E minor should be:

Em, F#dim, G, Am, Bm, C and D.

I'm not too sure where you get the C# from, it should be a C natural in the key of Em.

Almost correct, same mistake as the one before, the last one should be a diminished one:

maj, min, min, maj, maj, min, dim.

Well, the simple answer is because that's just the way our ears/brain interpretate it. For a less vague answer, you would have to delve in to psychoacoustics and/or the history of music (theory).

By the way, it's a very good thing that you're asking yourself these questions, keep that up!
Quote by Keth

[...]

Whoops made a stupid error indeed! Probably went too easy on that one.

And my guitar teacher told me nothing about diminished!
So in a major scale, the last note (7th note) is a diminished one, right then?

Thanks

EDIT:
then again, the patterns are always the same?
1 and 2 seem to be answered, but I'll try to help with number 3.

Having more minor or more major chords won't make a progression sound more minor or major. Minor or major is only determined by the tonic (root) chord. The one your key is named for. Meaning, if the progression resolves to E minor, the other chords are irrelevant, you are in E minor. Also, minor and major have the same amount of each chords because they actually have the same intervals starting on a different note. For example, look at A minor, and look at C major. Same notes.