can anyone here help me out? im trying to get a little personal recording studio setup but im not sure of all the shit i need. right now i pretty much have my little 2x2 onyx blackjack recording interface plugged into my computer where i have reaper downloaded. i just plug my amp directly into the interface, interface to computer. but, it doesnt sound good, at all. cleans come out ok, but any metal or anything sounds like shit. so, what equipment do i need to get an actual little recording studio setup? and bout how much more will i need to invest for good sound?
If I stay too quiet
I can hear her walking by
Death cold air is moving
Like the touch of her hand

ikuisesti hallussa surua,
pienentynyt enkeli, ottaa minuun,
johtaa minut tämän arvokkaan valoa,
ja ikuiseen pimeyteen.
im playing on a line 6 spider IV, have no idea what cab impulses are, and prolly 800 tops, i just really have no clue to what kinda shit i need to have :P
If I stay too quiet
Death cold air is moving

ja ikuiseen pimeyteen.
What you really need is a new amp.

Cab impulses are basically a short sample of a mic'ed up cab. If you're plugging your amp into your interface and then going into Reaper I would image it would sound like crap if you're not using impulses.

This video shows you how it works. Ignore the stuff about Amplitube. Download the Impulse loader and Impulse package and use them on the guitar input track. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0nVsmoiEUk

It'll sound better but theres only so far a Line6 Spider can go. Ask in the Guitar Gear and Accessories forum about a new amp and say what your budget is and style of music.
Personally, I just use the amp simulator that comes with my software (Cubase 6), it sounds better than my cheap amp. Well, good enough for me anyway.

Before I got Cubase 6, I used to use a couple of VSTs (TSS and Voxengo Boogex), which also did a good enough job for free. (but I dont know if they work with reaper, I was using Cubase LE4 which came free with my recording console)

Of course, the definition of "good enough" varies from person to person, heh. If you could be so kind, check out my cover of Evanescence's "My Immortal" http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Delfius/ (when the distorted guitars come in in the second half). If it's good enough for you, then you probably don't need to spend any more money.
Last edited by Delfius at Sep 3, 2011,
yeah, i know i do :P i got it cus i thought it would be a good recording amp, i was pretty dissapointed though, am prolly gonna try and sell it and get something else. but ill defiantly try these plugins out. would micing the amp sound better or no?
btw, ****ing love your influences
If I stay too quiet
Death cold air is moving

ja ikuiseen pimeyteen.
Quote by Blackritual0
yeah, i know i do :P i got it cus i thought it would be a good recording amp, i was pretty dissapointed though, am prolly gonna try and sell it and get something else. but ill defiantly try these plugins out. would micing the amp sound better or no?
btw, ****ing love your influences

Probably not for now. I'd use amp sims until you get a better amp. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131250

And thanks . Once my band gets a vocalist we're gonna get some songs up and you'll be able to hear a combination of those influences .
i dont know the first thing about VST's :P and im having issues trying to figure out how to use these files you had me download.... one of them, i think the impulse loader just gives me an error thing when i try to open it, the package i just dont know what to do with :P am i supposed to open them from within reaper..? also where am i supposed to put all these?
If I stay too quiet
Death cold air is moving

ja ikuiseen pimeyteen.
What did you download?

If it was Voxengo Boogex, it goes into your VST folder (your software should have an option to set the folder where your VST's go - a VST is like a plug in for your software which can be anything from an amp sim, effects sim, virtual instrument, etc). But I had trouble with reaper's compatibility with some of my VST's (blue screen crashes) and in the end, opted for Cubase.
Sounds to me like you're struggling unnecessarily with this. Have you considered getting a purpose built multitracker? That way you'd have an all in one recording kit which you can use from start to finish to record and produce your songs.

A lot of people on UG are under the impression that software is the only way to go, however they are very wrong. Good quality multitrackers have all the capability of the majority of software recording packages, without the weak link of having to use a computer which probably wasn't bought with that purpose in mind - have you considered that some of the issues you're experiencing with your PC based recording may be due to a lack of processing power and inadequate sound card?

With a multitracker you also have the advantage of being able to purchase one used from somewhere like eBay, then once you're done with it you can resell it with minimal loss - once you've committed to a software package you're stuck with it, like it or not.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud