I know there's a thread on screaming, but I am really anxious to hear from not only people on that thread, but from people outside of that thread to give me their criticism. I recently joined a band as the vocalist (even though I am actually a guitarist) and I haven't had any guidance as far as screaming. I'd really like CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM (If I'm bad, then just say it but don't go saying like "wow you suck why would you even try" you know? Cause I really do wanna improve) and just something I could work on.

Thanks so much to those of you who actually take the time to try & help guys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijLsU0S1UXs

Edit:
A little info on myself.
I'm 17 and I've been screaming for about 4 months now. I have prior singing experience but just kinda jumped into screaming.
Last edited by ShiftedSoul at Sep 3, 2011,
you're one of the few scream vocalists that I actually really enjoy listening to, I think you've done a pretty good job! I know next to nothing about vocals but it sounded pretty sweet on the first listen.
Sounds awesome to me. I'm a fan of clean vocals being mixed in (didnt listen to the whole song) but what I heard was great! Nice job.
thin slice o skin
Thanks guys I appreciate the compliments, but I'd really like to get some guidance or something to help me get better. what am I doing wrong? what am I doing right? You know? :P But still, thanks for the compliments
Dude, you are very good. That sounded just like all the bands I listen to. It really doesn't seem you like you need much improvement, it's very good that you're humbe too. Would you be willing to share a bit of your experience in learning to scream? Any suggestions for a learner?
Dude thanks for the warm words, it really does make me feel good to hear that I'm doing this right :P

Uhhm, when I first started learning to scream, everyone I came to for advice had been a stickler on learning how to control your Larynx, learning how to use your Diaphragm, and BREATHING IN GENERAL. They said warming up is STEP NUMBER ONE when you first start screaming because it expands your lungs more and allows more air flow, and I've been religious with it ever since.

I guess I'm kind of self conscious on my highs though.
Quote by ShiftedSoul
Dude thanks for the warm words, it really does make me feel good to hear that I'm doing this right :P

Uhhm, when I first started learning to scream, everyone I came to for advice had been a stickler on learning how to control your Larynx, learning how to use your Diaphragm, and BREATHING IN GENERAL. They said warming up is STEP NUMBER ONE when you first start screaming because it expands your lungs more and allows more air flow, and I've been religious with it ever since.

I guess I'm kind of self conscious on my highs though.

Where would you say you feel like the scream is generally "centered"? And also do you feel like you are pushing slightly more than normal singing, alot more, etc. (do you tense up at all in your stomach too?)
Most of my screaming comes from my diaphragm. I push using my diaphragm. Up until yesterday, I had practiced my vocals on a 15watt Line6 Amp, haha. I wouldnt be able to hear myself in practice because my guitarists and drummer were all so much louder than me, so I had to force my vocals so I could hear myself and it started to hurt really bad. I had bought a PA For myself yesterday, and man, it makes so much more of a difference. I don't have to force myself anymore, and I last way longer. Usually with the line6 amp I could do one set, then I'd be DONE. But yesterday, I did 3 sets completely from the beginning to end, and still was capable to continue screaming and that made me feel way better about myself. Though my stomach did feel a little sore after the night was over, that was odd.
thanks for all of the compliments, but I'd really like an idea in what I need to work on :3
I know I'm not perfect, so I just need some sort of guidance or tips you know?
That was really good! I like your range - it's important to work on the highs and the lows and seems like you're doing that. Since you're asking, the only negative thing I noticed is that when you do your fry screams, sometimes it slips out into clean singing for like a syllable (for instance around 0:26 in your video).

Other than that I didn't really hear anything negative (except that I personally prefer lower growls to screams).
Thanks man, the first constructive criticism I've gotten.
I see what you're saying about the syllables, actually, we were talking about the same exact thing when we were in the studio. When its all in the same tone, it sounded it like it was missing something, so they told me to let go on the syllables so I tried it and it worked out :P But yeah it's not me 'losing' the scream, I just changed it mid-word XD