hey UG,

I currently own an LTD EC50 and a Peavey Vypyr 30w.

I don't like my amp anymore, the distortion is too dry and I can't find any tone I like. I use an EHX English Muff'n and I love the tone of it. But I don't want my amp anymore so I'm in the process of selling it.

My guitar, I bought it online and never tried it. I like it very much, but recently I've changed genres. I don't play as much metal as I used to and I'm playing more hard rock, punk and rock&roll. So it doesn't really suit my style.

I fell in love with Orange amps when I heard them. I really want to own an Orange. It's the perfect tone and distortion for me. Right now, labor day sales are still going on at GC and I can afford the Tiny Terror Head, but no cab.

A day ago, I went to a guitar shop and tried a MIM strat and a MIM telecaster. I noticed I liked their necks more than mine. They're chunkier and I realized I don't like such a thin neck like on my LTD. Also I noticed I like Single Coil distortions MUCH more than Humbucker distortion. Currently I can afford either a MIM strat or tele. OR I can buy a HBS p90 to fit my guitar and kinda give the SC sound to my guitar.

But I don't want to invest so much on a guitar I'm stepping away from.

I can either buy the Orange Head, the cab or the guitar.

What should I do? Help me UG

Cheers!
Gibson Firebird 70s Tribute
Orange TH30
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Big Muff Pi
Last edited by SupahStrat at Sep 3, 2011,
buy a strat and save up for a rockerverb 50?
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
^ What he said, or go used!
Gear!!!!

Fender Lonestar Stratocaster w/ Seymour Duncan pearly Gates!!!
PRS SE Custom 24 Vintage Natural
Gibson Les Paul Signature T Trans Ebony
Engl Screamer 50
I've heard a lot of horror stories about those Vyper amps, so it's just as well that you're kissing it goodbye. I don't know a lot about Orange amps, as I play through mostly Fenders, but I do know this: with a head, but no speaker cab, you aren't going to be playing anything!! You say you can afford the guitar as well, so what I would do is buy the amp head and a cabinet for it. If you do that, half your problem is solved already. You can hang onto the guitar you have for a little longer and save up the money for a different one later.

I have an MIM Tele and they are very nice, but for the styles you've mentioned, the MIM Strat would be the best choice, IMO, and that's what I'd be looking at. With the extra pup, Strats are more versatile, as you have more tonal options. The MIM Strats are likely to be just as nice as the Teles. Fender/Mexico is putting out some great guitars right now, I think.
Never mind the Dawg . . . Beware of Owner!!
Dawgman I can only buy either the Head or the Guitar. And I know that I can't do anything without the cab, I would save for a 2x12 closed back though
Orange TH30
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Big Muff Pi
My vypyr is sexy. The distortion does lack a little in the non-tube versions, but with my distortion pedal, everything is fine. If i were you, id try to get a guitar with humbuckers that can coil tap. i prefer thicker necks just like you and ive played tons of shecters with nice necks and tap-able humbuckers. that way you can play metal when you want, and then coil tap for rock and punk. orange amps are pretty good, but they are verrry expensive. i personally wouldnt get an orange amp unless it was at least a 100w combo or an amp head. id never pay that much money for a practice level amp like a 50w.
Quote by ciano16
My vypyr is sexy. The distortion does lack a little in the non-tube versions, but with my distortion pedal, everything is fine. If i were you, id try to get a guitar with humbuckers that can coil tap. i prefer thicker necks just like you and ive played tons of shecters with nice necks and tap-able humbuckers. that way you can play metal when you want, and then coil tap for rock and punk. orange amps are pretty good, but they are verrry expensive. i personally wouldnt get an orange amp unless it was at least a 100w combo or an amp head. id never pay that much money for a practice level amp like a 50w.

I wouldn't say a 50watt orange is a practice level amp...
Quote by slashfan226
I wouldn't say a 50watt orange is a practice level amp...
Well i guess we all have our opinions on that. i used to have a 50w crate and it was fine in the garage, but blew at a gig because i had to push it to max volume... when i got my vypyr, i first asked tons of ppl what wattage to get and they all said 50 wasnt enough unless i was gonna mic the amp... which is not really possible at a lot of gigs.
Quote by ciano16
Well i guess we all have our opinions on that. i used to have a 50w crate and it was fine in the garage, but blew at a gig because i had to push it to max volume... when i got my vypyr, i first asked tons of ppl what wattage to get and they all said 50 wasnt enough unless i was gonna mic the amp... which is not really possible at a lot of gigs.

True, it does depend on a lot of things. But i've gigged with a full band using only a fender vibrochamp XD (5 watts) to about 200 people and even people at the back said they could hear me fine.
the rockerverb 50 is definitely not a practice amp.

I could also by a 2x12 cab and save for the amp head
Orange TH30
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Big Muff Pi
Look around for a use mim strategy, shouldn't be more then $350. Also, have you played the tiny terror before? I find that it sounds different then every other Orange I've played. Just extremely fuzzy when adding to much gain, could have been the raven cab though
Quote by ciano16

50 watts for a solid state amp is going to be pushing it for gig-levels. Tube amps are a totally different story. 50 tube watts = more than enough.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
hello, it's been 2 days and nobody has really helped me... it's the last day of labor day sale!
Orange TH30
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Big Muff Pi
I would go for the orange now, then the guitar later.

the reason I say this is because the amp is most of your sound and if the pups on your guitar have too much out put for distortion you can just roll off the volume for now.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.