Three months ago I rented a guitar from a local music shop. I learned some songs that I liked and came up with some stuff of my own. My Mom said "If you're going to play an instrument, you're going to get lessons." I didn't really want to get lessons (maybe I just have bad memories of my horrible elementary school music teacher. She was crazy).

I took lessons for a month, and I was going to do them again when school started up. I was having a lot of fun. But I thought, "It would be fun to give bass a try!" So I went to the music shop and rented a bass and played it for a month almost exclusively. I was having more fun with the bass than I had had with the guitar! My Mom said (again) "Since school is starting soon pick one to take lessons on."

I played the guitar a bit that day. It seemed very tiny compared to the bass. I couldn't play it at all. The frets were so tiny. I ended being able to play somethings after an hour or two (it was easier than I remembered). Then I played the bass for a bit. I found the bass over harder to play (physically, you have to move you hand around more, press down harder on the frets), so I picked the bass at the end of the day I thought it being harder would be more fun and be a challenge, plus, there were a 100 guitarists for every bassist, and even then, most bassist aren't really that great. I wanted to be a great bassist.

But now in the last week or so, I have not been feeling the bass. I can't come up with anything on it and I just couldn't find many songs I wanted to learn. I am sort of regretting picking the bass.

I think it might just be a phase, where I just can't play for a week or two and I just am not creative, and maybe getting a teacher will help me with that. I don't really know.

I liked guitar because it was easy (in my opinion) to make good sounding riffs and just sound awesome. And the bass it was a lot harder.

I usually have a hard time sticking to one thing, and this is evidence of that. Maybe I should go play piano...

Anyways, what do you think I should do? I didn't really know where to post this.. :x
The world is overrun with mediocre guitarists already. I say, master the bass and you'll be in a good place if you ever wanna start a band.
Head like a stone, stoned like a rock.

just stick with the bass (for the most part) it can be really cool. learn some red hot chili pepper songs, flea is one probably the best bass player alive and one of the best ever and there are very few people who dont like his bass lines. i dont know what your skill level is but you are most likely just in a phase.

BUT... DONT GIVE UP ON THE GUITAR!!!!!!!!!!! it is a great instrument and i can be very refreshing to get the high notes out of it and it is easier to express your emotions on the guitar than bass. also, you say that you are good at the guitar so dont waste your talent, teach yourself at home... learn some songs and buy a few theory books. it can help a lot.
how bout realizethat none ofit is "easy"and playing an instument is hard work. no instant gratification here. you want to be goodwelldeal with the idea that at first you will suck and you won't be the next great player for years to come.
The guitar is much more interesting then bass. you can actually play a song and write with it. Not to say Bass players cannot write. Steve Harris has written a ton of songs for Iron Maiden. I think for you....just buy s six string bass and tune it to a guitar? No wait. Double neck. I happen to agree with Stoic. If you don't just pick one and stick with it. You will never be really good at either.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican)
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Music Man Axis Sport
I think I will stick with bass for now. I may play guitar later on, but for now bass. Thanks.
Quote by Bloodbuzz
I think I will stick with bass for now. I may play guitar later on, but for now bass. Thanks.

clever
Quote by Bloodbuzz
Three months ago I rented a guitar from a local music shop. I learned some songs that I liked and came up with some stuff of my own. My Mom said "If you're going to play an instrument, you're going to get lessons." I didn't really want to get lessons (maybe I just have bad memories of my horrible elementary school music teacher. She was crazy).

I took lessons for a month, and I was going to do them again when school started up. I was having a lot of fun. But I thought, "It would be fun to give bass a try!" So I went to the music shop and rented a bass and played it for a month almost exclusively. I was having more fun with the bass than I had had with the guitar! My Mom said (again) "Since school is starting soon pick one to take lessons on."

I played the guitar a bit that day. It seemed very tiny compared to the bass. I couldn't play it at all. The frets were so tiny. I ended being able to play somethings after an hour or two (it was easier than I remembered). Then I played the bass for a bit. I found the bass over harder to play (physically, you have to move you hand around more, press down harder on the frets), so I picked the bass at the end of the day I thought it being harder would be more fun and be a challenge, plus, there were a 100 guitarists for every bassist, and even then, most bassist aren't really that great. I wanted to be a great bassist.

But now in the last week or so, I have not been feeling the bass. I can't come up with anything on it and I just couldn't find many songs I wanted to learn. I am sort of regretting picking the bass.

I think it might just be a phase, where I just can't play for a week or two and I just am not creative, and maybe getting a teacher will help me with that. I don't really know.

I liked guitar because it was easy (in my opinion) to make good sounding riffs and just sound awesome. And the bass it was a lot harder.

I usually have a hard time sticking to one thing, and this is evidence of that. Maybe I should go play piano...

Anyways, what do you think I should do? I didn't really know where to post this.. :x

Practice, practice, PRACTICE! No musician in this world got perfect without first starting off as a beginner! Take Yngwie Malmsteem as an example!
bass
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

If you want to go with bass, take that and just buy a cheap guitar? You don't have to take lessons for guitar but you can have one just in case. Many (dare I say most) people on this forum have tried/own a bass at one point or another.

Why not both?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I'm this way with guitar. I currently own 6 basses, and three guitars. I suck at guitar, the neck feels so damn tiny to me, while the bass feels more "natural".
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.