I kept getting a really annoying rattling when I play the highest 3 strings on my Jazzmaster since I got it a few months ago, so I took it to a guitar shop to try to see what was wrong.

The little screws that you use to adjust the saddles occasionally gets loose, and when I play the string, it rattles the screw. I can tighten it a little bit to keep it in place, but after playing for a couple minutes, it gets loose again, starts rattling, the saddle leans over to one side, and the string detunes a tiny bit.

Has anybody had this problem, or does anybody have a good solution? I'd even be willing to put a new bridge in, though I've never done it before.

Thanks
Either the saddles or the strings are bad. Contact Fender warranty support and get them to send out new ones.
I have a Blacktop Jazzmaster (not sure if I saw which version you have), I had this exact same problem.
Apparently it's quite common among jazzmasters for this to happen.
I've heard that changing to higher gauge strings (I use 11.s now) can reduce/stop the rattling. However, if you're planning on using low gauge strings you may have to change the bridge entirely.

I may change my bridge even though I'm not getting any rattle: I looked at the guitar directly and noticed that my high E string is slightly misalligned with the pick-ups.
I'm not entirely sure if this can cause any problems with picking up the vibrations of the string though (only pointing this out because you may want to give a look at the bridge's size to see if it isn't too big).
Quote by Crazyedd123
I have a Blacktop Jazzmaster (not sure if I saw which version you have), I had this exact same problem.
Apparently it's quite common among jazzmasters for this to happen.
I've heard that changing to higher gauge strings (I use 11.s now) can reduce/stop the rattling. However, if you're planning on using low gauge strings you may have to change the bridge entirely.

I may change my bridge even though I'm not getting any rattle: I looked at the guitar directly and noticed that my high E string is slightly misalligned with the pick-ups.
I'm not entirely sure if this can cause any problems with picking up the vibrations of the string though (only pointing this out because you may want to give a look at the bridge's size to see if it isn't too big).

Yes, I have the blacktop Jazzmaster...the guy at the shop actually mentioned that it's a common problem with these guitars now that I recall. I think right now I'm using .11's, so I might restring it with .12's or .13's next time I get a chance to buy strings. How difficult is it of a process to change the bridge entirely?

Also, since I'm in a topic with someone else who has the exact same guitar...does the neck pickup on yours have a ton of feedback?
Quote by Macavity22
Yes, I have the blacktop Jazzmaster...the guy at the shop actually mentioned that it's a common problem with these guitars now that I recall. I think right now I'm using .11's, so I might restring it with .12's or .13's next time I get a chance to buy strings. How difficult is it of a process to change the bridge entirely?

It's a common problem with Jazzmasters in general, so don't worry.

What you are looking to get is a Fender Mustang Replacement Bridge, which is a drop in replacement for JMs and Jags. If I remember correctly, you don't even need screws for it, just tape to widen the posts of the Mustang bridge so it fits snugly into the Jazzmaster's bridge holes.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Replacing the bridge with the Mustang bridge is the way to go, that fix has been around for years.

The neck pickup shouldn't get much feedback, no. Those pickups are humbuckers and wax potted so they should be as resistant to feedback as you can possibly get. If you're having trouble with feedback often then look at the rest of your gear, or maybe you're just playing too close to your amp or too loud in too small a space.
not seeing the specific guitar, and hearing that this is a continuing problem, i'm not sure
if this will help or not.

but usually a quick fix for loose bridge screws, is to remove then wrap the screw threads once in
teflon "plumbers tape". then return the screw to the hole for a now tighter fit.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by kangaxxter
It's a common problem with Jazzmasters in general, so don't worry.

What you are looking to get is a Fender Mustang Replacement Bridge, which is a drop in replacement for JMs and Jags. If I remember correctly, you don't even need screws for it, just tape to widen the posts of the Mustang bridge so it fits snugly into the Jazzmaster's bridge holes.

I think I'm gonna go with one of the Mustang bridges, seeing as how easy it sounds. No tremolo arm sucks though
Quote by Macavity22
I think I'm gonna go with one of the Mustang bridges, seeing as how easy it sounds. No tremolo arm sucks though

You should be able to still use your current tremolo. On Jazzmasters, Jaguars and Mustangs the Tremolo/Vibrato Unit is separate from the bridge.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi