Came across this beautiful guitar on gumtree last night. Ad claims it is an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, but for the life of me i can't find anything to say that this guitar, in this finish ever existed.

Can anyone help me out?

Given i can't find any information i am a little suspicious of the seller because he is selling a couple other guitars that he says are 'copies'.

If you guys think its real i'll shoot out and have a fiddle. it's priced at (what i think is) a steal $380 AUD.
any better pictures?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I've only ever seen trans black Standards or the Custom 3+, so just incase, I would give it a miss

Shame because it looks great

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Looks sexy - way too good for nobody to have noticed them before.

Message them really keenly, and ask for (photo of) a serial number?
call me ziggy.
Custom's come with gold hardware. Try to get a serial number off the guy.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Thanks for the quick reply. Will still give the guy a ring and see when he got it, where it came from, the usual suspects.

If anyone else has some insight, please speak up
Quote by earthisearthis
Looks sexy - way too good for nobody to have noticed them before.

The ad was posted about 14 hours ago, so i essentially saw it as soon as it was posted.

How would one use the serial number? Is there a back-catalogue or something i can check it against online?

Thanks for all the posts
If he won't show the serial number, definitely a no go. If it WERE real, it looks like it would be an LP Custom.

Edit: There's also this: http://guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

But there could be some flaws with it because some counterfeiters have figured out the formula that Epi uses for serial numbers. So if it's a totally incorrect guitar that pops up when you type in the serial, it's fake.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Last edited by GibsonMan321 at Sep 3, 2011,
yes ive seen epiphone les paul customs, but never really that color.....suspicious.... well... if it works and sounds good. who cares???? its a guitar that looks freakin beast.
Quote by Wisthekiller
It's a fake. Epiphone never made a Les Paul with that finish besides a 3 pickup custom.

The Ultra 3 has a similar finish but it doesn't have the bound headstock.
Who would fake an epiphone? I just can't see resell being high enough for a profit.
Quote by philwhite
Who would fake an epiphone? I just can't see resell being high enough for a profit.

That's why. People think "Who would fake an Epiphone? They're cheap so it's probably real!" but Epiphones are faked almost as much as Gibsons.
Well, it appears those who snooze indeed lose.

Bloke sold it early this morning, meaning it essentially sold 12 hours after the ad was first posted. Spoke to him on the phone and he claimed it was a real one but i still have my doubts.

In good news, my uncle (whom i thought only ever played acoustic guitar) saw this post. Turns out he has a gibson lying around gathering dust. It shall be mine come wednesday >